Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Default New Firefighting Invention

I invented a new device that would greatly improve wildland firefighting. Since I can't fund the research and development of this invention, I decided I would share it with you.

In my view, it is way more effective and cost a lot less than currently used techniques, although it can't be used in every situation.

I named it the "Sky Snake" or "Sky Hydra":
    The idea is to build a very long hose attached to an equally long hot air tube designed to lift it over obstacles such as trees. The device can have one or many heads.

A powerful pump would be placed at it's base to push water up the hose and spray continuous jets of water. It could take it's water from any source such as lakes, rivers, the ocean, a well, a fire hydrant, etc.

A camera would also be fixed at the head of the device to help guide the actions of the fireman controlling the direction of the Sky Snake from a computer software. Remotely controllable small wings would be designed to make the device go wherever we want.

Since fires and my device have the tendancy to go in the direction of the wind, the Sky Snake should be used from behind the fire line.

Once the fire is extinguished, the Sky Snake can simply be rolled back to it's mobile station.
    Last edited by ChrisCarbone; 09-05-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Precision

MembersZone Subscriber

There's only one person here that seems to be completely confident that he should be the sole evaluator of such a project. He's what keeps us dumb firemen from hurting ourselves with stupid ideas. Now, where is he? Check the bar, on the end next to the postal worker.

Banned

Give me a PM and I can discuss this with you.

it's this amazing liquid stuff, Dihydrogen Monoxide, it's found in the rivers, lakes, streams, oceans, and even found frozen in the polar icecaps and in deep underground reservoirs. You can pump into into tanks on truck, then squirt it out through a hose onto the fire, and it goes out. You can even dump it out of tanks on airplanes and helicopters.

this will revolutionize Firefighting around the world
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJake72 View Post
    it's this amazing liquid stuff, Dihydrogen Monoxide, it's found in the rivers, lakes, streams, oceans, and even found frozen in the polar icecaps and in deep underground reservoirs. You can pump into into tanks on truck, then squirt it out through a hose onto the fire, and it goes out. You can even dump it out of tanks on airplanes and helicopters.

this will revolutionize Firefighting around the world
    Gotta watch out for that stuff.. It can be lethal in concentrated doses if used improperly...

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Gotta watch out for that stuff.. It can be lethal in concentrated doses if used improperly...

-Damien
    Also can contribute to erosion if used in excess. Has been found in measurable quantities at the scene of many fish kills....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

IAFF

Forum Member

Here's your picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarbone View Post
    I invented a new device that would greatly improve countryside firefighting. Since I can't fund the research and development of this invention, and that I feel it is important business, I offer to share it to an homeland security agency.

It is way more effective and cost a lot less than currently used techniques, although it can't be used in every situation.

Can someone lead me to people capable of leading such a project?
    What is "countryside firefighting"
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Be afwaid, very very afwaid.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Default Precisions

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    What is "countryside firefighting"
    I meant fighting fires that are not located in urban area such as forests, mountains and such. It doesn't mean that it cannot be used in urban area though, just that it's primary role would be for hard to reach places.

Default Please define

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Give me a PM and I can discuss this with you.
    What is a PM and how would you/it help?

Default More about the invention

I appreciate the humourous pictures and comments, I think they are funny but, I am serious about saving your lives and the ones you protect so please, although it may attract some visitors to this thread, it makes all the rest sound like a joke so please, serious replies only...

The invention is not a "stuff", it is a device to deliver "stuff" which would save most time and ressources.

Forum Member

Hey guy, I am a Chemical Engineer, if you want I would like to discuss with you your "invention". I do not have any commercial interest, only science and fun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarbone View Post
    What is a PM and how would you/it help?
    PM Is a private message. I suspect you don't want the world to know your idea. Once we know the details we can go in search of funding opportunities. I have some project management experience, degree in electrical engineering, and access to resources.

FYI. The first thing you get is a non-disclosure agreement.

Default Open to discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni012 View Post
    Hey guy, I am a Chemical Engineer, if you want I would like to discuss with you your "invention". I do not have any commercial interest, only science and fun.
    I'm open to discussion with aeronautics engineers but chemical engineering is not required to build the device. Basically, only water is needed.

PM Is a private message. I suspect you don't want the world to know your idea. Once we know the details we can go in search of funding opportunities. I have some project management experience, degree in electrical engineering, and access to resources.

This is hysterical. REALLY.

What a great addition this thread has become.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Do it dude! Trust a guy on the interwebs!

Did you invent a progressive hoselay? That would be cool. How about outfitting all the trees in the forest with fire sprinklers? Neato!!
    Maybe you could plant exploding cactus plants every 10 feet or so! Kewl!

I've got a few bucks stashed away, I'll go in for say, 48% of the gross. Deal?
    IAFF

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Hmmm.........................

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    How about outfitting all the trees in the forest with fire sprinklers?
    Maybe you could plant exploding cactus plants every 10 feet or so!

How 'bout simply implanting a Fit-5 in every third Cactus as you cross the desert................

Can I get in for 10%??.................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default About the invention

I should of known, sorry that I'm not forum literate.
    Of course, I want the world to know my idea but I also want to get it done and I believe the best way to do that is to tell it to the right person.

That's why I would openly describe my invention to a forest firefighting official. What is your experience with firefighting?

Thread Information