Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber N2DFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    S.W. Virginia
    Posts
    1,286

    Default N.Y. firehouse shuts down to wash elephant

    N.Y. firehouse shuts down to wash elephant
    Union says city officials ordered engine company to take photo with Suzie


    NEW YORK - A firefighters union says a New York City engine company had to close its firehouse for 30 minutes to bathe a circus elephant on city orders.

    The Uniformed Firefighters Association says Brooklyn's Engine Company 245 didn't want to participate in the photo opportunity with circus elephant Suzie, part of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey show in Coney Island. But it says city officials ordered the engine company to participate.

    The firehouse closed Wednesday while four firefighters and an officer went to scrub Suzie. About 10 firefighters stayed behind.

    The fire department says firefighters were only supposed to spray the elephant when it walked by the firehouse and weren't ordered to close. It says closing the firehouse was a mistake.

    It hasn't said if any emergency calls came in while the firehouse was closed.


    Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32681476...ews/?GT1=43001
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Are you serious?

    Wow, you just can't make this crap up can you.


    When can I bring my pick up truck by for detailing?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    L-Town, SC
    Posts
    109

    Default

    I wonder if their nozzles have a massage setting!

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Maybe next time they can use the FDNY IA dept. To me, IA dept has about as much to do with FF as washing elephants!

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    My comments from Stater911:

    So it's ok to use city equipment for personal use? Where was the animal caretaker's pressure washer to wash the animal? Is it ok to take a cop off the street to guard my house because my door lock doesn't work? Is it ok to take a street crew filling pot holes off the street to work on my driveway? Of course it isn't ok. It takes them off the street and prevents them from doing their job, protecting us!! If your house was on fire and this truck was due to respond and they were busy washing an elephant your views would change.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  6. #6
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    The same morons who posted that the brothers at 245 Engine where crybabies and such would be the first to whine, complain, bitch, yell, scream and kvetch that if that happened in their community.

    I posted my comment under the screen name "DaGonz".. it is awaiting approval.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Blackwood NJ, USA
    Posts
    816

    Default

    Did they use Fog or Smooth Bore?

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    This guy is a real winner:

    USMC '68

    What the hell is the big deal?? Wash the damn elephant. Firefighter don't do sh*t anyway. They sit around and wait for a call to come in! Now if cops were doing this, then I'd have a problem with it.

    There are other fire departments around that area that can take care of emergency calls. You think these guys are the only fire dept. around???

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    What if it were YOUR house that caught fire during that 30 minute shutdown?What if it were YOUR Mom or Dad having a heart attack during that 30 minutes when that station could not respond because some self important city official wanted to make good PR with the circus and get pictures of an elephant being bathed by a fire engine?
    Do you think they could have responded in time?
    People think firefighters are always at the station no matter whether it's a volunteer department or a FDNY.
    They expect firefighters to come in like the US Cavalry riding to save the day,not have to stop washing an elephant,reload the hoses they dragged off at the aformentioned puke's order and then get to doing what they are paid for.
    Yes,another station could have been toned out for that call but they would have had to run longer to get there than would be the situation had the station in that district been ready to respond to their calls.

    Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    This guy is a real winner:

    USMC '68

    What the hell is the big deal?? Wash the damn elephant. Firefighter don't do sh*t anyway. They sit around and wait for a call to come in! Now if cops were doing this, then I'd have a problem with it.

    There are other fire departments around that area that can take care of emergency calls. You think these guys are the only fire dept. around???

  10. #10
    Forum Member MemphisE34a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN - USA
    Posts
    2,522

    Default my response on Statter.

    USMC'68 - You should reserve your comments about things that you obviously know nothing about. Your statement would be the same as me saying that the marines only do things during wartime. Of coarse I am not a mindless jarhead, so I know this is not the case.

    Would you recommend that a group of marines should abandon their posts to wash an elephant in Iraq? If they were not under fire at the time, they weren't doing anything....right?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

    Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

    "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


    Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    88

    Default

    I think most departments are prone to this nonsense. Granted, we do have to maintain a presence in our communities, but not at the expense of providing adequate fire protection. Sometimes the brass can get carried away with having us do various events, public education demos, station tours, etc., to the detriment of operations.

    I'm not saying that we should do nothing other than sit in quarters and wait for calls, but there has to be a limit to PR.

  12. #12
    Forum Member gunnyv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Don't even bother reading people's anonymous complaints on the newspaper sites, about 90% must be unemployed jackasses with nothing better to do than compain about anything and everything.

  13. #13
    Early Adopter cozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    The firehouse closed Wednesday while four firefighters and an officer went to scrub Suzie. About 10 firefighters stayed behind.
    Can someone from NYC explain why a firehouse with 15 guys staffing it "closes" when only five guys leave for a detail? Some part of this story is obviously missing.

    I come from a suburban department that emphasizes "customer service" because we realize that people vote. By doing "fluff stuff," people are more likely to support our requests for proper staffing to carry out our real mission -- provide fire & emergency services.

    With this said, my company would have gladly washed the elephant -- while remaining in service. If a call came in during the detail, we would have broken down the line and made the run. No big whoop.

  14. #14
    Forum Member FHJ718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Maybe I have a different take on it but I don't see what's the big deal. A little P.R. work is never bad. Is it any different than going to the neighborhood cook-out in the summer and letting the kids see the apparatus up close?
    or participating in a parade?
    In these times of decreasing budgets, company closings and the expectation of doing more with less, any chance we have to put ourselves in a good light with the public helps.
    Far too many of us (at least where I'm from) treat the firehouse like a "fort" located in injun country, and for what? When on duty our job is to provide the public with a service and sometimes that entails doing some things not exactly firefighting in nature.

  15. #15
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FHJ718 View Post
    Maybe I have a different take on it but I don't see what's the big deal. A little P.R. work is never bad. Is it any different than going to the neighborhood cook-out in the summer and letting the kids see the apparatus up close?
    or participating in a parade?
    In these times of decreasing budgets, company closings and the expectation of doing more with less, any chance we have to put ourselves in a good light with the public helps.
    Far too many of us (at least where I'm from) treat the firehouse like a "fort" located in injun country, and for what? When on duty our job is to provide the public with a service and sometimes that entails doing some things not exactly firefighting in nature.
    I'm sure you would have a different take on this if Mumbles and Sailorboy ordered your company to do this...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  16. #16
    Forum Member CrnkB8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Every dept needs good PR, but we need to draw a line somewhere. I think using a company of firefighters to wash a circus animal is a little overboard. If depts are that desperate for PR, we might as well go back to getting cats out of trees.

    BTW, maybe we can get the circus to employ the guy in the other thread that invented the "Sky Snake". He can wash the animals.

  17. #17
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrnkB8 View Post
    Every dept needs good PR, but we need to draw a line somewhere. I think using a company of firefighters to wash a circus animal is a little overboard. If depts are that desperate for PR, we might as well go back to getting cats out of trees.

    BTW, maybe we can get the circus to employ the guy in the other thread that invented the "Sky Snake". He can wash the animals.
    He can also do it from a distance so he doesn't get exposed to fecal matter.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  18. #18
    Forum Member FHJ718's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I'm sure you would have a different take on this if Mumbles and Sailorboy ordered your company to do this...
    I would grin and bear it. Make the best of it and hope someone there appreciated it. Political fighting has no bearing in how you should deal with the public and could help in the publics perception of the job (hopefully).
    30 something years ago (can't remember exactly) the recently retired Chief of Department and a few others helped me fix a flat on my bike. What an impression that made on me and I've never forgotten it.
    It doesn't always work but you never know who you're dealing with and who knows maybe that person will remember the day you helped them like I did.
    As far as the two people mentioned, I was here before them and I'll still be here after them.

  19. #19
    Forum Member snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    Can someone from NYC explain why a firehouse with 15 guys staffing it "closes" when only five guys leave for a detail? Some part of this story is obviously missing.

    I don't know why the house would close but I'll bet the elephant washers were the lowest senior guys in the house.
    IAFF

  20. #20
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FHJ718 View Post
    I would grin and bear it. Make the best of it and hope someone there appreciated it. Political fighting has no bearing in how you should deal with the public and could help in the publics perception of the job (hopefully).
    30 something years ago (can't remember exactly) the recently retired Chief of Department and a few others helped me fix a flat on my bike. What an impression that made on me and I've never forgotten it.
    It doesn't always work but you never know who you're dealing with and who knows maybe that person will remember the day you helped them like I did.
    As far as the two people mentioned, I was here before them and I'll still be here after them.
    Fixing a flat on a bike for child or showing up at a neighborhood cookout
    (we all know that the Jakes are there for the food! ) is different than washing schmeg from Jumbo, Dumbo or whatever the elephant's name was.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ambulance Service Shuts Down!
    By ChiefReason in forum Illinois
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
  2. Fire Shuts down Mackinac Bridge
    By FireAndy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 07:37 PM
  3. Elephant practical jokes
    By RLFD14 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
  4. White City blaze shuts down U.S. 1
    By xlonghillfd in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:23 AM
  5. Fire shuts down Gateway Arch
    By NatchezFD in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts