Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

This can be an entertaining place occasionaly, but for the most part it is endless debate and arguing over meaningless garbage. Helmets, whats in your pockets, should you wear scba in the smoking section, boots, gloves, how to not go into fires, etc
    That was my point, "d-bag squared". Good job on finally picking up on that. There may be hope for you yet. If ya'd actually been AROUND a while, you'd know that "career vs volunteer" is probably the most well-beaten and decayed of horses on this site.

Sir you are a moron and a jackass, a true credit to the Lego Fire Department... now put mommy and daddy back on the computer.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    That was my point, "d-bag squared". Good job on finally picking up on that. There may be hope for you yet. If ya'd actually been AROUND a while, you'd know that "career vs volunteer" is probably the most well-beaten and decayed of horses on this site.
    So you assumed I was contributing to it or cared about it and posted it.

Sir you are a moron and a jackass, a true credit to the Lego Fire Department... now put mommy and daddy back on the computer.
    They don't know what I do in the basement and it's MY computer - they have their own upstairs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    So you assumed I was contributing to it or cared about it and posted it.
    Well ya said you used it to help "with a debate"... like I said--long as it's not here... whocares, right?

They don't know what I do in the basement and it's MY computer - they have their own upstairs.
    Whoa, TMI there Sparky...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Well ya said you used it to help "with a debate"... like I said--long as it's not here... whocares, right?
    Maybe it was a fair assumption... whocares, indeed.

Forum Member

The debate was since we have "socialized" fire protection, we can have "socialized" healthcare. My point was that fire protection is not socialized, but a service a community chooses to have - or not. 86% of communites choose not to pay for full time fire protection. 7.5% choose to have it. That was the big debate...

Sorry it's not more interesting or malicious...

Forum Member

The debate was since we have "socialized" fire protection, we can have "socialized" healthcare. My point was that fire protection is not socialized, but a service a community chooses to have - or not. 86% of communites choose not to pay for full time fire protection. 7.5% choose to have it. That was the big debate...

Sorry it's not more interesting or malicious...
    Actually that is an interesting standpoint. Volunteer hospitals? hmmmm...

To turn this to a point of semi-intelligent debate: many doctors and nurses around the country will pack up and ship off to third-world countries in Africa and Asia, for weeks and months at a time, to live in squalid huts under constant threat of disease or attack by the "army" of some self-appointed warlord or well, basically "crime boss" (after all, they're there for a reason, right?)... and they'll gladly do this completely for free.

But ask a doc to volunteer at a local homeless shelter and most will shudder and shy away...

How's that work?

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Actually that is an interesting standpoint. Volunteer hospitals? hmmmm...

To turn this to a point of semi-intelligent debate: many doctors and nurses around the country will pack up and ship off to third-world countries in Africa and Asia, for weeks and months at a time, to live in squalid huts under constant threat of disease or attack by the "army" of some self-appointed warlord or well, basically "crime boss" (after all, they're there for a reason, right?)... and they'll gladly do this completely for free.

But ask a doc to volunteer at a local homeless shelter and most will shudder and shy away...

How's that work?
    I honestly believe that the answer is that if you volunteer to treat the homeless here, it is just a smelly, dirty, thankless job - but if you do it in the Congo it's heroic and romantic.

Forum Member

I honestly believe that the answer is that if you volunteer to treat the homeless here, it is just a smelly, dirty, thankless job - but if you do it in the Congo it's heroic and romantic.
    Sounds about right... I'm sure there are a few true "Florence Nightingale" types out there who really do it for love of fellow man and all, and probably volunteer at the free clinics back home, too.
    But you're probably right, for the most part it's probably done as a bit of a "resume-enhancer", or at least something to brag to the latest "conquest" about: "Yeah, I spent a summer in Darfur, it was crazy-bandits everywhere, disease, filth... worship me, and gimme some sugar, baby!" lol I could see that.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Thread Information