Thread: Maze Layout

Default Maze Layout

Does anyone have a layout, blueprint or anything for a movable maze. My chief wants me to build one that I can take apart and store as we dont have a lot of room. Im trying to get a layout, and materials list so I can present for next years (2010) budget. I need to present it by the end of this month. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciat it.

Quote Originally Posted by RFD4400 View Post
    Does anyone have a layout, blueprint or anything for a movable maze. My chief wants me to build one that I can take apart and store as we dont have a lot of room. Im trying to get a layout, and materials list so I can present for next years (2010) budget. I need to present it by the end of this month. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciat it.
    Hello,

I don't have any specs but was wondering if maybe you found them?

Forum Member

Real KISS soloution as used by Kentucky State Fire Commission trainers:hold maze training on a fenced in patio.Arrange the furniture as obstacles around the "walls",string up an old chainlink gate,ropes and/or drop cords for entanglement and place your hoods over the facepieces of your SCBA.
    Tell the trainees that the fence is the wall but don't tell them that if they break contact with the wall to negotiate a path around an obstacle,said obstacle will be moved farther and farther out into the middle of the patio.
    Any area that can be roped off or otherwise segregated into a seperate area can be used.You can always move the furniture around after a new trainee steps up and gets hooded before entry to avoid people memorizing the layout.
    My old department would train in the meeting rooms this way and have blankets on string taped to the actual walls,furniture scattered every where and tape blankets over the windows to simulate the conditions experienced in a fire.
    Use your imagination(within limits) to create stress on the trainees as they crawl through.

Forum Member

We have a small garage attached to the bays where we have our fire equipment.

We put various obstacles, such as chairs and tables out. We wrap the house through it, smoke it up and/or turn out the lights and tell them to have at it basically.

There is no money taken from the budget, as the supplies are on hand.

It has proven quite effective.

Forum Member

We have done the same thing, basically, but we use a smoke machine. We tip tables on their sides to make "walls" which we can move around, as needed. We also use "turbo-flares" in the room and tilt them on an angle so the lights flash up against the wall, making it look like fire. When the trainees get close enough, they can actually see where the simulated seat of the fire is. One more thing that we use is a CD that I created. It is sound effects of a fire crackling. I play it in a loop and play it real loud. This forces the trainees to concentrate on communication during the scenerio. They have to yell to be heard by the rest of the crew. Also, it cuts out other noises that may give them their bearings, such as hearing the fridge and knowing it is next to the doorway out of the room. the loud noise keeps them disoriented.

Thread Information