MembersZone Subscriber

Default Recruit School Procedures

Was wondering if anyone who runs their own Department Recruit school has implemented some procedures or activities that you may find at a career recruit school. An example would be like lining up in a squad formation, attendance roll calls, etc.. Similiar to what could be considered a scaled down version of a "boot camp".

Forum Member

In the areas I have served in your are not going find a "recruit school" for VFDs.

Most training is done through regular weekly training, special classes or through a state training agency via nightly or weekend day classes.

Forum Member

Haven't seen that sort of thing. I don't think the boot-camp type stuff would work too well unless you were at an in-residence type course where you really get immersed in everything.

Our department has extra training nights for new volunteer recruits to take them through the FF1&2 over the course of about a year and a half.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I moved to a new department, although I had been in the fire service for 8 years. I was send to an all volunteer academy and it was run para-military. We are going to to be conducting our first in house academy and we are going to make it para-military as well. It is a great team building tool. If done right, it forces people to work together and it will build bonds between the recruits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    In the areas I have served in your are not going find a "recruit school" for VFDs.

Most training is done through regular weekly training, special classes or through a state training agency via nightly or weekend day classes.
    No department that cares about the safety of its firefighters is not going to have a minimum training requirement and some sort of Recruit School before members are allowed to ride apparatus.
    Here is one example:

http://www.acfra.org/
    What type of training is required?

Volunteers must attend a 22-session indoctrination class that offered either once or twice a week. The class includes information about Firefighting, EMS, and general administrative topics. The course is designed to provide our new volunteers with the minimum skills needed to participate in Fire Department operations safely.

The class meets weeknights, generally from 7:30 PM-10:30 PM and a few eight hour day weekend classes. Both written and practically examinations are provided at the conclusion of the course. Members who pass the class are permitted to ride fire apparatus and can perform several, but not all, firefighting functions.

Indoctrination training is offered throughout the year and new classes are held on an as-needed basis.

To ride on an ambulance or medic unit members must obtain Virginia EMT-B certification. This certification is in addition to the indoctrination training described above. This certification is offered at a variety of colleges and universities in the area and most of the course expense is reimbursable by the ACFRA.

Volunteers interested in firefighting can also obtain certification as a structural firefighter. This training is offered periodically by the volunteers in a 300 hour class.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

If I wasn't clear or specific enough I apologize. I am not looking for what or how to conduct the actual training, but instead develop (like MJS said) a para-military atmosphere. Not looking to make it difficult or turn people off, but want to develop some team building, respect and a disciplined program. MJS what kind of ideas is your department going to implement?
    Last edited by THTMAN; 09-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THTMAN View Post
    If I wasn't clear or specific enough I apologize. I am not looking for what or how to conduct the actual training, but instead develop (like MJS said) a para-military atmosphere. Not looking to make it difficult or turn people off, but want to develop some team building, respect and a disciplined program. MJS what kind of ideas is your department going to implement?
    As an old Marine, I will say a volunteer Fire Department is NOT the place to try and instill a strong para-military style. If the class should choose to line up themselves, that is great. But if you have any problems with retention, or with getting folks to show up at calls, that is NOT the way to go. If the basic FF I/II challanges does not bring a group together, than lining up parade style sure is not going to do anything except create resentment. Teach about the chain of commmand and take basic roll call at each class, besides that, pulling hose and throwing ladders as a team should accomplish what you are looking for on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsammons1 View Post
    When I moved to a new department, although I had been in the fire service for 8 years. I was send to an all volunteer academy and it was run para-military. We are going to to be conducting our first in house academy and we are going to make it para-military as well. It is a great team building tool. If done right, it forces people to work together and it will build bonds between the recruits.
    If done right, and with the right recruits, you are correct. But it is very easy to do wrong, and very hard to find the right dynamic of people>

Good Luck!
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 09-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Dennis - Thanks for your input. I'm really not looking for a "strong" para-military style. Just looking for ideas to instill some discipline & organization as well as promote respect and that we take training them seriously. One idea is that the group will line up together and will practice donning their gear & scba before the start of each training session. We want to try and promote proficiency and build confidence. Something as simple as saying the pledge of allegiance before a class similiar to what is done at a meeting is another idea. These kind of concepts & ideas is what I'm talking about. Not looking to try and "break" someone to see if they can take it. Again just ideas and seeing if anyone else does anything similiar.
    Last edited by THTMAN; 09-08-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Take the time, seriously, to call the training divisions in Hanover County, VA and Chesterfield County, VA. Both agencies do very professional & well-run recruit schools for their volunteer members. The schools include Firefighter I & II, Mayday Firefighter Down, and other courses over a 4 to 6 month period. The success rate for these schools is very high, and the attendees report that they like the structured format of the school.

PM me if you want additional information for these agencies.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

BoxAlarm - PM sent Thanks. I have heard of Hanover's program a few years ago while sitting in on a lecture. Sounded pretty good

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THTMAN View Post
    Dennis - Thanks for your input. I'm really not looking for a "strong" para-military style. Just looking for ideas to instill some discipline & organization as well as promote respect and that we take training them seriously. One idea is that the group will line up together and will practice donning their gear & scba before the start of each training session. We want to try and promote proficiency and build confidence. Something as simple as saying the pledge of allegiance before a class similiar to what is done at a meeting is another idea. These kind of concepts & ideas is what I'm talking about. Not looking to try and "break" someone to see if they can take it. Again just ideas and seeing if anyone else does anything similiar.
    Gear Drills are an excellent way to get the class to bond and to help one another. I would think that they are almost the standard for any sort of recruit class.

I will also concur with BoxAlarm187 about Hanover and Chesterfields recruit schools for volunteers. In fact, most of Virginia's "combo" departments have great volunteer training programs as it is needed to gain the respect of the career staffs.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

We have a countywide program where I am at. All new recruits go through the program Its 2 nights a week and some Saturdays as well for about 4 months. It is ran paramilitary (loosely).They practice 2 minute drill prior to every class and have house chores they share. We have instructors from various dept's come in and teach the classes. Some instructors are not as gung ho as others on the para military aspect so each week you didn't what to expect. One week you would be toeing the line the next week you would be standing around waiting to get started.

Forum Member

Default Recruit School

It appears that you are looking for info on volunteer recruits. We run our own career recruit school. If you think you can incorporate any of our information, just shoot me an email. We only have military type marching/formations at the beginning and end of each day when they put up and take down the flag. We have a structured program to keep everything consistant with the types of drills, the physical training program, and the pass/fail criteria.

Russell
    russell.knick@gwinnettcounty.com
    Last edited by rsknick; 12-21-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Thread Information