Forum Member

Default Iraq Firefighting

Hey i am currently going through the process of applying for an Iraq firefighter job. I was just wandering if anyone knew what the hours were like over there. My hometown department works 24 on and 48 off. If anyone knows anything just let me know and i appreciate it!!!

Forum Member

Look in Americans Overseas and read some of the post or ask the question there. they will know

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I apologize for what is going to sound like completely rude questions but here goes anyways.

Let me understand this:

1) You have a career firefighting job in the United States.
    2) You are exploring leaving that to go be a firefighter in Iraq.

Now my questions. WHY? Why would you leave the relative safety and security of a US firefighting job to go to Iraq. Where essentially you have no Union protection and are basically an at will employee. Where that guy smiling at you today outside the fire station tomorrow may plant an IED in your response path or put a bullet in your forehead. Where eventually that job may simply no longer exist as the Iraqi's take more control of their country.

Please expalin to me your motivation for wanting to go. Is it money? Adventure? What?

Forum Member

Fyred Up:
    The problem is the fire dept i am at is going down hill. I make $8.98/hr and have been here for 3 years. Bad huh! Anyway it really is about the money right now I just need it. I am trying to get my wife through school and right now I work three jobs believe it or not...just to pay the bills. So to answer your question.....yes it is the money that appeals to me at this moment!

Forum Member
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Your not from Greenville Mississippi are you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmsh25 View Post
    Fyred Up:
    The problem is the fire dept i am at is going down hill. I make $8.98/hr and have been here for 3 years. Bad huh! Anyway it really is about the money right now I just need it. I am trying to get my wife through school and right now I work three jobs believe it or not...just to pay the bills. So to answer your question.....yes it is the money that appeals to me at this moment!
    You make $8.98 an hour after 3 years as a career firefighter? Sorry I am tossing the bull$hit flag down on that one. I wouldn't pick up dog $hit for $8.98 an hour!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

What does it matter why he wants to go, if he is not happy with where he is at and wants to do something to better himself, or his family, then good luck.

So he says he makes $8.98 after three years, you would not pick up Dog S**T for that, BS, if you needed the job to pay for food and housing and the job was picking up Dog S**T then you would do it or you would be like the rest that would expect the Tax paying people to help you out.

Why Throw a BS at him when you do not know him, do not know where or what he is going though.
    If you can answer his question then answer it, if not then move on

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by HVFDDC18 View Post
    What does it matter why he wants to go, if he is not happy with where he is at and wants to do something to better himself, or his family, then good luck.

So he says he makes $8.98 after three years, you would not pick up Dog S**T for that, BS, if you needed the job to pay for food and housing and the job was picking up Dog S**T then you would do it or you would be like the rest that would expect the Tax paying people to help you out.

Why Throw a BS at him when you do not know him, do not know where or what he is going though.
    Frankly, it isn't any of my business. If I were his wife I would make sure I had tons of life insurance on him that would pay off if he was killed while in Iraq. The risk just doesn't seem to equal the benefit to me. But then again, my life is damn good. Great paying FD job, great girlfirend, great kids and I live where I want. So even if they were offering a incredible wage the risk still outweighs the benefit for me.

Forum Member

Up until a few years ago there was an all career FD in northeast LA where the starting salary was just over 15K.

They are now up to 18K.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You make $8.98 an hour after 3 years as a career firefighter? Sorry I am tossing the bull$hit flag down on that one. I wouldn't pick up dog $hit for $8.98 an hour!
    Toss what you want......and i agree with you it is bulsh** that is why i am leaving here. We have Lt. and Sgt. here with paramedic that has been here for 8 or 9 years making $11.00/hr. All bullsh** aside. Terrible huh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Up until a few years ago there was an all career FD in northeast LA where the starting salary was just over 15K.

They are now up to 18K.
    i started out at $6.97 /hr.....not far from you!

Back In Black

My brother just got back a month or so ago.

He made 100k+ Virtually tax free.

If I was single and young, i'd do it. Make a lot of money, have very little expenses.. network.. adventure.

It was very safe, he never left the base except to travel back to the US.

He also gained probably 20 lbs and smokes more then he ever did! Cigarettes were like 5 bucks a carton or some stupidly cheap rate.

Like, I said.. an adventure.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    My brother just got back a month or so ago.

He made 100k+ Virtually tax free.

If I was single and young, i'd do it. Make a lot of money, have very little expenses.. network.. adventure.

It was very safe, he never left the base except to travel back to the US.

He also gained probably 20 lbs and smokes more then he ever did! Cigarettes were like 5 bucks a carton or some stupidly cheap rate.

Like, I said.. an adventure.
    thanx for the info. I appreciate it alot!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HVFDDC18 View Post

I appreciate the support. True enough that is no lie about the pay. My Lt. has been there 13 years and has a medic liscense and he makes $13.63. I know it sounds like bullshi* but it is all true.....ridiculous but true!!!!

Early Adopter

You better pick up your flag. We've got cities in Arkansas that start their career firefighters at minimum wage. Such is life in a right to work state with no collective bargaining.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Frankly, it isn't any of my business. If I were his wife I would make sure I had tons of life insurance on him that would pay off if he was killed while in Iraq. The risk just doesn't seem to equal the benefit to me. But then again, my life is damn good. Great paying FD job, great girlfirend, great kids and I live where I want. So even if they were offering a incredible wage the risk still outweighs the benefit for me.
    Fyredup, I was not talking to you, I was talking to the one who threw the BS statement.

I myself have done jobs I would not wish on anyone else and for a lot less, I have also worked several jobs at a time to pay the bills.
    I now have a great job in the fire service where I travel a lot get to see things that others that stay with in the borders of the US will never get to see. have a lot of time off. to enjoy my family. Life is good for me, but not everyone has the same chances that I have. All I wanted to say is that, give the guy a break. Give him help and support
    I wish the guy luck

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    You better pick up your flag. We've got cities in Arkansas that start their career firefighters at minimum wage. Such is life in a right to work state with no collective bargaining.
    Flag removed. Christ, even when I got hired by Uncle Sam as a Federal FF, as a GS-04 Trainee I was making what translated into about 14 an hour......But only $8.98 an hour after three years? Something just doesn't sound right.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Flag removed. Christ, even when I got hired by Uncle Sam as a Federal FF, as a GS-04 Trainee I was making what translated into about 14 an hour......But only $8.98 an hour after three years? Something just doesn't sound right.
    i understand where you are coming from. I really don't see y i am still here. I just love the fire service and the people i work with, but it is ridiculous. Our fire dept is aweful. Everyone's moral is down and it is just going downhill. But thank you for your comments

Thread Information