Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #26
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    It's also known as a great way to make a lot of enemies in a hurry.
    How do you figure?

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    How do you figure?
    Many FDNY have no respect for it because any EMT can score a 70 on the test and will automatically be given preference over anybody that scored higher than them from the open competitive exam.

  3. #28
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    Many FDNY have no respect for it because any EMT can score a 70 on the test and will automatically be given preference over anybody that scored higher than them from the open competitive exam.
    Yeah I've heard that all before, I know a lot of guys that go this route. There's an entire thread on this topic somewhere on here.
    But I figure, if you want the job bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get on and wont care what people think of you once you get on, hey you got the job didn't you? While others didn't.
    I understand where there coming from, but I just personally believe along with many others that you should do everything possible to get the job if you want it.
    Also, once you get on after using the EMS Promotional, just means you got to prove yourself to the brothers at your firehouse more, which makes you a better fireman.
    Would you rather have a guy who tested the traditional way, and then sat on his *** for 3 years waiting for the phone call? Or someone who knows the city, knows the department, and knows how things work, not to mention fully certified EMT on your crew?

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Yeah I've heard that all before, I know a lot of guys that go this route. There's an entire thread on this topic somewhere on here.
    But I figure, if you want the job bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get on and wont care what people think of you once you get on, hey you got the job didn't you? While others didn't.
    I understand where there coming from, but I just personally believe along with many others that you should do everything possible to get the job if you want it.
    Also, once you get on after using the EMS Promotional, just means you got to prove yourself to the brothers at your firehouse more, which makes you a better fireman.
    Would you rather have a guy who tested the traditional way, and then sat on his *** for 3 years waiting for the phone call? Or someone who knows the city, knows the department, and knows how things work, not to mention fully certified EMT on your crew?
    i used to somewhat agree with your logic, but its been nearly 3 years since i took the OC and playing the waiting game has definitely been a learning experience for me. study hard and take the open competitive exam and prove you can get a good grade on it. its the only way that's completely fair to everyone. you should read through the other thread that you mentioned and listen to what the guys that are on the job already have to say about it. i can't really talk b/c i'm still a wannabe but definitely read the other thread so you can get a feel for how the back door approach is looked upon.

  5. #30
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Yeah I've heard that all before, I know a lot of guys that go this route. There's an entire thread on this topic somewhere on here.
    But I figure, if you want the job bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get on and wont care what people think of you once you get on, hey you got the job didn't you? While others didn't.
    I understand where there coming from, but I just personally believe along with many others that you should do everything possible to get the job if you want it.
    Also, once you get on after using the EMS Promotional, just means you got to prove yourself to the brothers at your firehouse more, which makes you a better fireman.
    Would you rather have a guy who tested the traditional way, and then sat on his *** for 3 years waiting for the phone call? Or someone who knows the city, knows the department, and knows how things work, not to mention fully certified EMT on your crew?

    Yeah...why have principles and pride in taking the honorable route and look to cut corners and cheat and scam your way through life. Taking the open competitive like a man is for suckers...but not IGM's like you, right?

    I'll take the honest man who has nothing to fear from an open competitive over some lump of ---- in EMS who took the easy route in life.

    Clearly from your comments you know nothing about the FDNY and our department.

    -EMS guys don't "know" the city any better or worse than a garbage man.
    -EMS guys don't "know" the department. They work for EMS...not the FDNY.
    -EMS guys don't "know" how things work.
    -EMS guys once on this job, even if they are a MD are only CFR-D acording to regulations. I could care less about having an EMT on "my crew" (whatever that means) because I'm not assigned to an ambulance and neither are they.

    Stick to opining about whatever suburb of Columbus, Ohio or Seatle or wherever it is you are from. And leave the advice to those of us who actualy have an inkling about what is and isn't involved in OUR job.

    FTM-PTB

    PS-For those in the know, the current format eliminated most of the unsavory advantage in circumvention of the civil service exam, however I'd bet after the Vulcan suit is hashed out...the next exam whenever that is will be largely rebuilt and restructured in terms of scoring (possibly inviting lawsuits from the women who claim to be short changed when the physical is emphasised) How it will be worked out with EMS promo's then is still up in the air like the exam itself.

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Yeah...why have principles and pride in taking the honorable route and look to cut corners and cheat and scam your way through life. Taking the open competitive like a man is for suckers...but not IGM's like you, right?

    I'll take the honest man who has nothing to fear from an open competitive over some lump of ---- in EMS who took the easy route in life.

    Clearly from your comments you know nothing about the FDNY and our department.

    -EMS guys don't "know" the city any better or worse than a garbage man.
    -EMS guys don't "know" the department. They work for EMS...not the FDNY.
    -EMS guys don't "know" how things work.
    -EMS guys once on this job, even if they are a MD are only CFR-D acording to regulations. I could care less about having an EMT on "my crew" (whatever that means) because I'm not assigned to an ambulance and neither are they.

    Stick to opining about whatever suburb of Columbus, Ohio or Seatle or wherever it is you are from. And leave the advice to those of us who actualy have an inkling about what is and isn't involved in OUR job.

    FTM-PTB

    PS-For those in the know, the current format eliminated most of the unsavory advantage in circumvention of the civil service exam, however I'd bet after the Vulcan suit is hashed out...the next exam whenever that is will be largely rebuilt and restructured in terms of scoring (possibly inviting lawsuits from the women who claim to be short changed when the physical is emphasised) How it will be worked out with EMS promo's then is still up in the air like the exam itself.
    I respect your opinion FFFRED and I also respect the work you guys do on FDNY greatly. I understand where your coming from, but I don't entirely agree with you. Now, just a thought, have you ever thought that maybe going the tradition route was the "backdoor" way in? The guys who go the traditional route test and then wait for their number, but they guys who use the promotional work towards their hopeful future career as a Fireman by being an EMT, they are putting up with sh*t everyday all day, and getting stepped on by everyone in the City. Maybe the traditional way is the backdoor way? Just changing it up.
    Once again FFFRED, I've seen your numerous posts on this firehouse.com and greatly appreciate your expert opinion. Mine is different, so I would like to talk about it with you, not trying to bash you, your department, or your reputation here, just talking.

  7. #32
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    But I figure, if you want the job bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get on and wont care what people think of you once you get on, hey you got the job didn't you? While others didn't.
    Just giving my opinion here from an outside perspective. If you don't care what the brothers on the job and in your house think of you and don't have their respect and trust...then what's the point?

    And to csblaze - I tested with FDNY in 2007 when I was 18 and scored a 93.XX (can't remember what the last two digits were). I didn't have residency points or vet points(obviously) and my list number is 9155. This is just to put things in perspective for you as the other guys on here have done. Fortunately I've made it far enough to where I'm now waiting for a start date with my other dream department but if you're truly this serious about it - start studying for the exam now and move to the city. The military would also be a huge help, but make sure you do it for the right reasons and not just for the vet points. Hope this helps a bit. Stay safe and good luck.

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I respect everyones advice and opinions...

    My dream is to get on with FDNY. I want the respect of the people I work with. I truly hope I will not be berated for taking the EMS path. I find the logic and understanding behind EMS-Promotion haters to be false... im sorry.... but whats not fair about me working to get my EMT.... getting my EMT.... moving to New York... working on an ambulance for a while.... signing up for the exam... taking the exam... going the the fire academy.... I dont see any cheating there. Theres nothing backdoor about it. As far as im concerned, ill be proud of it. I think doing that job will open up my eyes to the emergency services as a whole... I think it will make me a better person... a better candidate for the fire service (regardless whether the guys are first responders or paramedics). I truly doubt that EVERY guy on FDNY is going to hate me because I worked on the EMS service prior to... the fact of the matter is, id take the test just like anyone else if I already lived in NY.

    NY EMS gives me the opportunity to go live somewhere I want to live... have my own life... and get me where I want to go. Its like the 20 year old flight instructors at my local flight school... some of those guys suck and are just doing it to get hours so they can get on a regional airline. Some of em want that regional airline job but make their instructing WORTHWHILE. Id be the latter.

    Thats as fair as fair gets... because any other guy who can apply to be a firefighter can apply to work on an ambulance... regardless whether their a 30 year old full-time lawyer or a 19 year old student. The way I see it... this is my dream now... and ill do whatever it takes to get that dream. If the 30 year old lawyer who gets ****ed at me becuase I get on before him for being an EMS guy- sucks for him... im sorry your a lawyer... im sorry you decided this was your dream at this stage in your life...

    In the end, I want to be part of the FDNY brotherhood. I want to be one of the best. I think working with EMS will help me PERSONALLY become on of the best. It may be different for the 30 year old lawyer. He can be the best too... but he has chosen a different path to getting there.

    No hating.... no anger... no frustration... im going to talk to some other FDNY guys to get their opinions on this.

  9. #34
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Not sure if you've seem the EMT to FF thread but this is it - http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102836

  10. #35
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Ah... thanks for showing me that...

    Guess ill stay quiet about what ill be doing the next few years... cant say it is EMS... cant say its not...

  11. #36
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    [QUOTE=GFD1FF;1095551]Just giving my opinion here from an outside perspective. If you don't care what the brothers on the job and in your house think of you and don't have their respect and trust...then what's the point?

    I didn't say I didn't care what my brothers in the my house thought of me, I don't care if they dislike me more for going EMS. They say 1 strike for being a Probie, 2 strikes for Probie from EMS, 3 strikes for Probie from NYPD.

    Blaze- Well said. Glad you are fighting for your dream no matter what it takes, it's awesome to see someone with as much motivation towards the job. Good luck, if you have any questions ever, let me know!

  12. #37
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    I respect your opinion FFFRED and I also respect the work you guys do on FDNY greatly. I understand where your coming from, but I don't entirely agree with you. Now, just a thought, have you ever thought that maybe going the tradition route was the "backdoor" way in? The guys who go the traditional route test and then wait for their number, but they guys who use the promotional work towards their hopeful future career as a Fireman by being an EMT, they are putting up with sh*t everyday all day, and getting stepped on by everyone in the City. Maybe the traditional way is the backdoor way? Just changing it up.
    Once again FFFRED, I've seen your numerous posts on this firehouse.com and greatly appreciate your expert opinion. Mine is different, so I would like to talk about it with you, not trying to bash you, your department, or your reputation here, just talking.
    What do you know about civil service and merit and fitness standards?

    Are you honestly attempting to portray the unbiased, objective civil service standards...essentialy the way our hiring and promotions have been handled for over a century is the "backdoor"? The open competitive is the only legitimate means to obtain employment with us...the other attempts such as the promotional and the cadet program have been nothing but thinly vieled attempts at gaming the civil service system in favor of a certain political constituancy...namely minorities who want a workfare program and racial spoils system

    Anyone like yourself who thinks otherwise is either being willfully naive and ignorant or has a hidden adgenda.

    Go ahead and cheat in school, and in life and then on obtaining civil service employment...see where it gets you and what message it sends to others about you, your family, your upbringing and the message you send to your kids, god forbid a slacker like you should knock up some unexpecting co-ed and ruin her life.

    Everything to you kids is negoitable and everything is subject to some bizzare moral equivilancy that makes everything ok as long as you benefit from it.

    Do us a favor and get back to us when you are an adult and have the first clue about our job.

    FTM-PTB

    PS- Why is taking employment in a health care field such as an EMT considered working towards employment in a blue collar labor intensive job.

    In a related story I'm preparing for my future career as a book-keeper by working as a bricklayer!

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    I respect everyones advice and opinions...

    My dream is to get on with FDNY. I want the respect of the people I work with. I truly hope I will not be berated for taking the EMS path. I find the logic and understanding behind EMS-Promotion haters to be false... im sorry.... but whats not fair about me working to get my EMT.... getting my EMT.... moving to New York... working on an ambulance for a while.... signing up for the exam... taking the exam... going the the fire academy.... I dont see any cheating there. Theres nothing backdoor about it. As far as im concerned, ill be proud of it. I think doing that job will open up my eyes to the emergency services as a whole... I think it will make me a better person... a better candidate for the fire service (regardless whether the guys are first responders or paramedics). I truly doubt that EVERY guy on FDNY is going to hate me because I worked on the EMS service prior to... the fact of the matter is, id take the test just like anyone else if I already lived in NY.

    NY EMS gives me the opportunity to go live somewhere I want to live... have my own life... and get me where I want to go. Its like the 20 year old flight instructors at my local flight school... some of those guys suck and are just doing it to get hours so they can get on a regional airline. Some of em want that regional airline job but make their instructing WORTHWHILE. Id be the latter.

    Thats as fair as fair gets... because any other guy who can apply to be a firefighter can apply to work on an ambulance... regardless whether their a 30 year old full-time lawyer or a 19 year old student. The way I see it... this is my dream now... and ill do whatever it takes to get that dream. If the 30 year old lawyer who gets ****ed at me becuase I get on before him for being an EMS guy- sucks for him... im sorry your a lawyer... im sorry you decided this was your dream at this stage in your life...

    In the end, I want to be part of the FDNY brotherhood. I want to be one of the best. I think working with EMS will help me PERSONALLY become on of the best. It may be different for the 30 year old lawyer. He can be the best too... but he has chosen a different path to getting there.

    No hating.... no anger... no frustration... im going to talk to some other FDNY guys to get their opinions on this.


    Your comments show you will likely never be an asset to this job because you through your own words demonstrate that YOU are thinking ONLY about YOU.

    That is the problem that you children don't seem to get... It isn't about YOU....this job isn't about the individual.

    No self-respect, no pride, no courage to take the open competitive...always looking for the easy route, something to game the system. It continues to speak volumes for those who atttempt to justify it in their circular convoluted and misguided logic.

    I'm not going to continue to waste my breath as it is clear few if any of you have the maturity and life-experience to grasp what most guys on this job have been trying to communicate for ever on this topic. We've seen it a million times before...just as in your final comment...you are going to ask around (presumably until you get the answer you want to hear.)

    FTM-PTB

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Fred...

    Ive seen you rip on plenty of people on these forums... its sad.

    "Your comments show you will likely never be an asset to this job because you through your own words demonstrate that YOU are thinking ONLY about YOU." Sounds like your talking about yourself. Shocker, but you were thinking about yourself to some extent when you went in to take the open competitive exam and took the job.

    For all I know you are a book keeper....

    Peace. For all those who gave me their humble opinions with no disrespect.... I am in full appreciation. I must now embark on the path that helps me achieve my goal of becoming an FDNY fireman. As soon as I walk into the fire academy I will check all previous jobs, experience, and selfish preconceptions at the door... and will walk in with a humble visage and an eagerness to learn- so that I may effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the New York Fireman if I am chosen as such.

    For now there is no time to waste... I must focus on what needs to be done.

  15. #40
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    Fred...

    Peace. For all those who gave me their humble opinions with no disrespect.... I am in full appreciation. I must now embark on the path that helps me achieve my goal of becoming an FDNY fireman. As soon as I walk into the fire academy I will check all previous jobs, experience, and selfish preconceptions at the door... and will walk in with a humble visage and an eagerness to learn- so that I may effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the New York Fireman if I am chosen as such.

    For now there is no time to waste... I must focus on what needs to be done.
    Glad to hear it csBlaZe97, that's the attitude you need to have. That no matter where you came from, who or what you know, how you got the job, where you scored on the list, etc. you drop it all at the Academy doors and you are now a low-life Probie who doesn't know anything and needs to be re-taught all that he knows.
    That's the thing, I've emailed back and forth with a couple of FDNY EMT's who promoted to FDNY Fire within the last 2-4 years and they say THE ONLY PROBLEM they have with EMT's that use the promotion is WHEN THEY GET THE ONES that come into the firehouse thinking they are above Probie level and don't deserve to be treated like sh*t because they did some years on FDNY EMS. NO. This is not what you want to do, but you knew that your smart.
    They both said, and I quote, "as long as you don't come into the firehouse with the attitude that you don't deserve to be a Probie because you did EMS, you will be fine. Come in like every other Probie and learn everything your taught and nothing less. If you act like any other Probie on any other department" they said "90% of the guys won't even acknowledge the fact you came from EMS."
    So take that into fact csBlaZe96! Good luck, see ya around!
    Last edited by SPFD17; 09-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.

  16. #41
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    [QUOTE=FFFRED;1095684]

    Go ahead and cheat in school, and in life and then on obtaining civil service employment...see where it gets you and what message it sends to others about you, your family, your upbringing and the message you send to your kids, god forbid a slacker like you should knock up some unexpecting co-ed and ruin her life.

    Explain to me how using the EMS Promotional is cheating? Please.

  17. #42
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    Fred...

    Ive seen you rip on plenty of people on these forums... its sad.
    I'm dropping a not so subtle hint and advice to those who are thinking about working here. Again evidence of the thin skin and the inability to take criticism designed to provide guidance. You think advice from a fireman in the Dept you wish to work in is sad...but welcome that from some guy in Minnesota? You have a long rough road ahead for you...but then again we've seen it all before..you will just ask around until you get the answer you are looking for...IGM.

    "Your comments show you will likely never be an asset to this job because you through your own words demonstrate that YOU are thinking ONLY about YOU." Sounds like your talking about yourself. Shocker, but you were thinking about yourself to some extent when you went in to take the open competitive exam and took the job.
    And I competed against everyone else and measured up. I proved my merit and fitness by preparing myself for a competitive job market and I didn't take any short cuts or any easy route to get here. I did the very same thing all the rest of us did (or most of us anyhow). That is how mutual respect is earned and why certain square rooters don't get it. I didn't participate in any political spoils system or lower myself in legitimizing the racial jobs racket route that the politicians and the Vulcans have yearned for.

    I've haven't disgraced myself, my family or the civil service system and all the men who have fought to preserve it over a century.

    The choice is up to you for how you want to be remembered and what example you want to set for your children and the men who will follow you.

    For all I know you are a book keeper....
    Believe what you want...there are guys here who know who I am and it is abundantly clear I am on the job you desire to join. Your desperation to discredit advice you don't want to hear won't make reality any different.

    Peace. For all those who gave me their humble opinions with no disrespect.... I am in full appreciation. I must now embark on the path that helps me achieve my goal of becoming an FDNY fireman. As soon as I walk into the fire academy I will check all previous jobs, experience, and selfish preconceptions at the door... and will walk in with a humble visage and an eagerness to learn- so that I may effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the New York Fireman if I am chosen as such.

    For now there is no time to waste... I must focus on what needs to be done.
    BMA-IGM

    FTM-PTB

  18. #43
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Glad to hear it csBlaZe97, that's the attitude you need to have. That no matter where you came from, who or what you know, how you got the job, where you scored on the list, etc. you drop it all at the Academy doors and you are now a low-life Probie who doesn't know anything and needs to be re-taught all that he knows.
    That's the thing, I've emailed back and forth with a couple of FDNY EMT's who promoted to FDNY Fire within the last 2-4 years and they say THE ONLY PROBLEM they have with EMT's that use the promotion is WHEN THEY GET THE ONES that come into the firehouse thinking they are above Probie level and don't deserve to be treated like sh*t because they did some years on FDNY EMS. NO. This is not what you want to do, but you knew that your smart.
    They both said, and I quote, "as long as you don't come into the firehouse with the attitude that you don't deserve to be a Probie because you did EMS, you will be fine. Come in like every other Probie and learn everything your taught and nothing less. If you act like any other Probie on any other department" they said "90% of the guys won't even acknowledge the fact you came from EMS."
    So take that into fact csBlaZe96! Good luck, see ya around!
    I definitely will bud... In other words im saying that I dont feel I would deserve any special treatment or go in with a misplaced confidence because "I was in the EMS system, therefor I know how FDNY works" attitude.


    "Go ahead and cheat in school, and in life and then on obtaining civil service employment...see where it gets you and what message it sends to others about you, your family, your upbringing and the message you send to your kids, god forbid a slacker like you should knock up some unexpecting co-ed and ruin her life."

    FRED.... Once again. Your opinion is your opinion... but its when you say things like the previous that I would consider it "ripping on people." That is not needed.

    The point of it is FRED, that obviously most of what it takes to get an FF job nowadays is not what I want to hear. Do I want to wait a few years with no guarantees (disregard EMS promotion... and just taking the test)? No. Do I want to have to work towards a paramedic license to make myself a better candidate to most suburbs in America? No! Do I want to have to work to a bachelors degree to get promoted one day? No. This whole thread isnt really what I want to hear. What I want to hear is... "FDNY is hiring right now... they need guys.... anyone who gets a high score on the test is guaranteed to the academy by 2011." What pretty much any guy on hear would like to hear....

    Life is about doing plenty of things you dont really want to do to get to places you want to be.

    The issue here is that you think the EMS promotion exam is cheating. If you didnt think it was cheating it wouldnt mean jack to you whether a not a guy on your crew was in EMS or wasnt. And it shouldnt.

    I dont want to discredit what youve done for our country or put you down, but when you insinuate that "young" individuals like me have idealistic views or some crap, always want the easy way out, and will dishonor and discredit their families (future and present) for getting into FDNY by working on an ambulance as an EMT/Paramedic for 3 or 4 years helping people... I got a problem.

    Also for the record.... i'm thinking about enrolling in my community colleges Paramedic program and getting licensed as a Paramedic working with NY EMS in a year. Will have to see if that will be something I excel at or not.

  19. #44
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,433

    Default

    If you want to use the back door method and get into FDNY, and have everyone on the job hate you, ridicule you, and make your life miserable, by all means, you go right ahead and do that.

    I know of several individuals who used the back door method- none of them lasted longer than 2 years.

    I for one, would want to be able to get along with my co-workers and not hang my head in shame.

    Listen to FFRED, he knows what he's talking about!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  20. #45
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I may want to be a paramedic for a few years ANYWAY.... we will have to see if its something I got a passion for doing.

    If so... it will work out better and ill get the NY bonus points.

    I dont want any issues with guys on the job!

  21. #46
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    315

    Default Back Door

    csBlaZe97

    The "backdoor" EMS method of getting onto the FDNY is a heated topic on this forum. If you read the FDNY 6019the old 2008 thread you will see this has been argued over and over again.
    IF you get on this job you will realize like any large organization you will meet all kinds of people with varying differences in thought.
    You will meet people on the job with the same attitude as FFFRED. And just like in life everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it whether you think it is right or wrong.

    The promotion from EMS is not well thought of generally among the membership of the FDNY. It is a slap in the face to a competitor for this job that I had to score above a 99 plus residency to get hired and an EMS promo can get the job with a 70 including residency. That hurts!!!
    BUT the powers at be have made it so and there is nothing I or any other member can do to stop this from happening.
    From that example you can see how some people resent the EMS promotion.

    I have found that most of the FF don't really give a SH*T where you came from as long as you hold your own and hold up the reputation of this great department and most of all your Firehouse. Be and asset not a liability!!! I have met or know at least 100 FF who came on from EMS who have had no problems acclimating to this job. (Don't ever throw it in a guys face that you came from EMS that will be your undoing!!!) Do they get ribbed from time to time for being EMS, I am sure they do but the guys are going to pick on you no matter what. You could be a vet with 3 tours over seas, medals all over the place and the guys are still going to make fun of you, yell at you to get in the sink and play jokes on you. No one is impervious to jokes at the firehouse, its open season on all. ( You may not be able to play jokes as a proby or a jonny but you will be able to enjoy them) If you do what you are told, keep busy, keep your mouth shut and ears open, and learn you will be excepted no matter where you came from.

    Remember this job prides itself on being the best!!! You may have come from EMS but as long as you uphold the traditions of this department and don't embarrass your company you will survive and the guys will not give a crap where you came from. I have multiple members of my house who came from EMS and I have never heard a single word said about it because the majority of them are assets not liabilities!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

  22. #47
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A city within a city
    Posts
    10

    Default

    csBlaZe97 backdoor all you want but realize that when you get on the job and a senior member like FFFRED tells you something you respect his opinion and you dont say F--- You and do what you want. It will make your life in a firehouse a lot better

  23. #48
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    45

    Thumbs down

    hey moron, fffred is right. all your bull**** reasoning is an insult to us all who take the open competitive. i took it with no vets, res or anyother pts, and i got a good score, so have LOTS of others. When and IF i get on the fdny I hope to never see you, no matter what humble attitude you have, your still just a squarerooter with no self respect in my book.

  24. #49
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8482612 View Post
    hey moron, fffred is right. all your bull**** reasoning is an insult to us all who take the open competitive. i took it with no vets, res or anyother pts, and i got a good score, so have LOTS of others. When and IF i get on the fdny I hope to never see you, no matter what humble attitude you have, your still just a squarerooter with no self respect in my book.
    Did you go cry to your mom the first time you tested and didnt get in? Did that "damn" ambulance guy get "your" job?

    And some of you guys really need to read the whole thread... I recently posted the fact that I may want to do paramedic anyway... I can move to NY and take the open competitive test with residency points and not use the promotional exam. Wow..... "we were getting ****ed at him over nothing..."

    But seriously... if some of you are going to whine and cry about it, get a life, get a job on the ambulance, then we will all be in the same exam anyway and the city will have to change their testing process again...

    God hope I dont see you... because if you are an FF with such a crap attitude and inability to read a simple thread... just... no....

    Ill tell you one thing... if I was on the job now and had taken the open exam to get in I couldnt give a crap if a few guys in the firehouse were EMS... in fact... ill think better of them for putting up with the whole process then the guys who just took a test and did whatever for 4 years.

    Theres good and bad everywhere... in every vocation... and forum....

    And if you want to reply dont bother... this turned into a simple thread asking for different opinions... but when older kiddies on the job cant seem to show basic forms of maturity by not insulting and name calling, you just make FDNY look bad....

  25. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    118

    Default

    My opinion is this: Some who take the EMS route are idiots who just want to work a loophole in the system, this is true. But did any of you take to time to think that some who take this route actually want to do the job? Lets not forget they still have to pass CPAT and make it through the academy just like any other canidate. For instance, I joined the Air Force as a medic, went and got my fire certs and EMT and plan on going to paramedic school before I apply to a department. No I don't NEED paramedic, or vets points, fire certs to get hired, but let's face it, most departments look favorably on this, granted, I'm not applying to the FDNY. But I try to think of it as, maybe the guy who went in through EMS got 100% on his promotional exam, maybe he did the best in the academy, maybe he truely loves firefighting, but did EMS for the same reason I'm doing paramedic: It's a way into the job he really wants to do. Hell, if I apply to a department with paramedic, I'll probably get hired before the guy who doesn't. It's nothing new to start of as an EMT or Medic, then go on to firefighting. Hating someone for that is like hating a vollie who gets hired on to a paid job. It happens all the time, but it doesn't really mean they'll make bad firefighters. My point is, a test score does not determine how good a firefighter you are. Again I'm not applying for the FDNY, so think what you will of me. This is just my opinion.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY - Fireman Martin Simmons Ladder 111
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum Prayers, Support & Non-LODDs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 07:22 AM
  2. Prospective firefighter
    By SFFD08 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 06:47 PM
  3. Prospective FF
    By SFFD08 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 10:14 PM
  4. Prospective ff, miami FL
    By Emttobe in forum Florida
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
  5. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register