Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

[QUOTE=FFFRED;1095684]

Go ahead and cheat in school, and in life and then on obtaining civil service employment...see where it gets you and what message it sends to others about you, your family, your upbringing and the message you send to your kids, god forbid a slacker like you should knock up some unexpecting co-ed and ruin her life.

Explain to me how using the EMS Promotional is cheating? Please.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    Fred...

Ive seen you rip on plenty of people on these forums... its sad.
    I'm dropping a not so subtle hint and advice to those who are thinking about working here. Again evidence of the thin skin and the inability to take criticism designed to provide guidance. You think advice from a fireman in the Dept you wish to work in is sad...but welcome that from some guy in Minnesota? You have a long rough road ahead for you...but then again we've seen it all before..you will just ask around until you get the answer you are looking for...IGM.

"Your comments show you will likely never be an asset to this job because you through your own words demonstrate that YOU are thinking ONLY about YOU." Sounds like your talking about yourself. Shocker, but you were thinking about yourself to some extent when you went in to take the open competitive exam and took the job.
    And I competed against everyone else and measured up. I proved my merit and fitness by preparing myself for a competitive job market and I didn't take any short cuts or any easy route to get here. I did the very same thing all the rest of us did (or most of us anyhow). That is how mutual respect is earned and why certain square rooters don't get it. I didn't participate in any political spoils system or lower myself in legitimizing the racial jobs racket route that the politicians and the Vulcans have yearned for.

I've haven't disgraced myself, my family or the civil service system and all the men who have fought to preserve it over a century.

The choice is up to you for how you want to be remembered and what example you want to set for your children and the men who will follow you.

For all I know you are a book keeper....
    Believe what you want...there are guys here who know who I am and it is abundantly clear I am on the job you desire to join. Your desperation to discredit advice you don't want to hear won't make reality any different.

Peace. For all those who gave me their humble opinions with no disrespect.... I am in full appreciation. I must now embark on the path that helps me achieve my goal of becoming an FDNY fireman. As soon as I walk into the fire academy I will check all previous jobs, experience, and selfish preconceptions at the door... and will walk in with a humble visage and an eagerness to learn- so that I may effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the New York Fireman if I am chosen as such.

For now there is no time to waste... I must focus on what needs to be done.
    BMA-IGM

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Glad to hear it csBlaZe97, that's the attitude you need to have. That no matter where you came from, who or what you know, how you got the job, where you scored on the list, etc. you drop it all at the Academy doors and you are now a low-life Probie who doesn't know anything and needs to be re-taught all that he knows.
    That's the thing, I've emailed back and forth with a couple of FDNY EMT's who promoted to FDNY Fire within the last 2-4 years and they say THE ONLY PROBLEM they have with EMT's that use the promotion is WHEN THEY GET THE ONES that come into the firehouse thinking they are above Probie level and don't deserve to be treated like sh*t because they did some years on FDNY EMS. NO. This is not what you want to do, but you knew that your smart.
    They both said, and I quote, "as long as you don't come into the firehouse with the attitude that you don't deserve to be a Probie because you did EMS, you will be fine. Come in like every other Probie and learn everything your taught and nothing less. If you act like any other Probie on any other department" they said "90% of the guys won't even acknowledge the fact you came from EMS."
    So take that into fact csBlaZe96! Good luck, see ya around!
    I definitely will bud... In other words im saying that I dont feel I would deserve any special treatment or go in with a misplaced confidence because "I was in the EMS system, therefor I know how FDNY works" attitude.

"Go ahead and cheat in school, and in life and then on obtaining civil service employment...see where it gets you and what message it sends to others about you, your family, your upbringing and the message you send to your kids, god forbid a slacker like you should knock up some unexpecting co-ed and ruin her life."

FRED.... Once again. Your opinion is your opinion... but its when you say things like the previous that I would consider it "ripping on people." That is not needed.

The point of it is FRED, that obviously most of what it takes to get an FF job nowadays is not what I want to hear. Do I want to wait a few years with no guarantees (disregard EMS promotion... and just taking the test)? No. Do I want to have to work towards a paramedic license to make myself a better candidate to most suburbs in America? No! Do I want to have to work to a bachelors degree to get promoted one day? No. This whole thread isnt really what I want to hear. What I want to hear is... "FDNY is hiring right now... they need guys.... anyone who gets a high score on the test is guaranteed to the academy by 2011." What pretty much any guy on hear would like to hear....

Life is about doing plenty of things you dont really want to do to get to places you want to be.

The issue here is that you think the EMS promotion exam is cheating. If you didnt think it was cheating it wouldnt mean jack to you whether a not a guy on your crew was in EMS or wasnt. And it shouldnt.

I dont want to discredit what youve done for our country or put you down, but when you insinuate that "young" individuals like me have idealistic views or some crap, always want the easy way out, and will dishonor and discredit their families (future and present) for getting into FDNY by working on an ambulance as an EMT/Paramedic for 3 or 4 years helping people... I got a problem.

Also for the record.... i'm thinking about enrolling in my community colleges Paramedic program and getting licensed as a Paramedic working with NY EMS in a year. Will have to see if that will be something I excel at or not.

If you want to use the back door method and get into FDNY, and have everyone on the job hate you, ridicule you, and make your life miserable, by all means, you go right ahead and do that.

I know of several individuals who used the back door method- none of them lasted longer than 2 years.

I for one, would want to be able to get along with my co-workers and not hang my head in shame.

Listen to FFRED, he knows what he's talking about!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I may want to be a paramedic for a few years ANYWAY.... we will have to see if its something I got a passion for doing.

If so... it will work out better and ill get the NY bonus points.

I dont want any issues with guys on the job!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Back Door

csBlaZe97

The "backdoor" EMS method of getting onto the FDNY is a heated topic on this forum. If you read the FDNY 6019the old 2008 thread you will see this has been argued over and over again.
    IF you get on this job you will realize like any large organization you will meet all kinds of people with varying differences in thought.
    You will meet people on the job with the same attitude as FFFRED. And just like in life everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it whether you think it is right or wrong.

The promotion from EMS is not well thought of generally among the membership of the FDNY. It is a slap in the face to a competitor for this job that I had to score above a 99 plus residency to get hired and an EMS promo can get the job with a 70 including residency. That hurts!!!
    BUT the powers at be have made it so and there is nothing I or any other member can do to stop this from happening.
    From that example you can see how some people resent the EMS promotion.

I have found that most of the FF don't really give a SH*T where you came from as long as you hold your own and hold up the reputation of this great department and most of all your Firehouse. Be and asset not a liability!!! I have met or know at least 100 FF who came on from EMS who have had no problems acclimating to this job. (Don't ever throw it in a guys face that you came from EMS that will be your undoing!!!) Do they get ribbed from time to time for being EMS, I am sure they do but the guys are going to pick on you no matter what. You could be a vet with 3 tours over seas, medals all over the place and the guys are still going to make fun of you, yell at you to get in the sink and play jokes on you. No one is impervious to jokes at the firehouse, its open season on all. ( You may not be able to play jokes as a proby or a jonny but you will be able to enjoy them) If you do what you are told, keep busy, keep your mouth shut and ears open, and learn you will be excepted no matter where you came from.

Remember this job prides itself on being the best!!! You may have come from EMS but as long as you uphold the traditions of this department and don't embarrass your company you will survive and the guys will not give a crap where you came from. I have multiple members of my house who came from EMS and I have never heard a single word said about it because the majority of them are assets not liabilities!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

csBlaZe97 backdoor all you want but realize that when you get on the job and a senior member like FFFRED tells you something you respect his opinion and you dont say F--- You and do what you want. It will make your life in a firehouse a lot better

Forum Member

Thumbs down

hey moron, fffred is right. all your bull**** reasoning is an insult to us all who take the open competitive. i took it with no vets, res or anyother pts, and i got a good score, so have LOTS of others. When and IF i get on the fdny I hope to never see you, no matter what humble attitude you have, your still just a squarerooter with no self respect in my book.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8482612 View Post
    hey moron, fffred is right. all your bull**** reasoning is an insult to us all who take the open competitive. i took it with no vets, res or anyother pts, and i got a good score, so have LOTS of others. When and IF i get on the fdny I hope to never see you, no matter what humble attitude you have, your still just a squarerooter with no self respect in my book.
    Did you go cry to your mom the first time you tested and didnt get in? Did that "damn" ambulance guy get "your" job?

And some of you guys really need to read the whole thread... I recently posted the fact that I may want to do paramedic anyway... I can move to NY and take the open competitive test with residency points and not use the promotional exam. Wow..... "we were getting ****ed at him over nothing..."

But seriously... if some of you are going to whine and cry about it, get a life, get a job on the ambulance, then we will all be in the same exam anyway and the city will have to change their testing process again...

God hope I dont see you... because if you are an FF with such a crap attitude and inability to read a simple thread... just... no....

Ill tell you one thing... if I was on the job now and had taken the open exam to get in I couldnt give a crap if a few guys in the firehouse were EMS... in fact... ill think better of them for putting up with the whole process then the guys who just took a test and did whatever for 4 years.

Theres good and bad everywhere... in every vocation... and forum....

And if you want to reply dont bother... this turned into a simple thread asking for different opinions... but when older kiddies on the job cant seem to show basic forms of maturity by not insulting and name calling, you just make FDNY look bad....

MembersZone Subscriber

My opinion is this: Some who take the EMS route are idiots who just want to work a loophole in the system, this is true. But did any of you take to time to think that some who take this route actually want to do the job? Lets not forget they still have to pass CPAT and make it through the academy just like any other canidate. For instance, I joined the Air Force as a medic, went and got my fire certs and EMT and plan on going to paramedic school before I apply to a department. No I don't NEED paramedic, or vets points, fire certs to get hired, but let's face it, most departments look favorably on this, granted, I'm not applying to the FDNY. But I try to think of it as, maybe the guy who went in through EMS got 100% on his promotional exam, maybe he did the best in the academy, maybe he truely loves firefighting, but did EMS for the same reason I'm doing paramedic: It's a way into the job he really wants to do. Hell, if I apply to a department with paramedic, I'll probably get hired before the guy who doesn't. It's nothing new to start of as an EMT or Medic, then go on to firefighting. Hating someone for that is like hating a vollie who gets hired on to a paid job. It happens all the time, but it doesn't really mean they'll make bad firefighters. My point is, a test score does not determine how good a firefighter you are. Again I'm not applying for the FDNY, so think what you will of me. This is just my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 8482612 View Post
    So I guess they should do away with vet and residency points because that gives people an unfair advantage too, huh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by merchan5967 View Post
    My opinion is this: Some who take the EMS route are idiots who just want to work a loophole in the system, this is true. But did any of you take to time to think that some who take this route actually want to do the job? Lets not forget they still have to pass CPAT and make it through the academy just like any other canidate. For instance, I joined the Air Force as a medic, went and got my fire certs and EMT and plan on going to paramedic school before I apply to a department. No I don't NEED paramedic, or vets points, fire certs to get hired, but let's face it, most departments look favorably on this, granted, I'm not applying to the FDNY. But I try to think of it as, maybe the guy who went in through EMS got 100% on his promotional exam, maybe he did the best in the academy, maybe he truely loves firefighting, but did EMS for the same reason I'm doing paramedic: It's a way into the job he really wants to do. Hell, if I apply to a department with paramedic, I'll probably get hired before the guy who doesn't. It's nothing new to start of as an EMT or Medic, then go on to firefighting. Hating someone for that is like hating a vollie who gets hired on to a paid job. It happens all the time, but it doesn't really mean they'll make bad firefighters. My point is, a test score does not determine how good a firefighter you are. Again I'm not applying for the FDNY, so think what you will of me. This is just my opinion.
    AMEN BRO. Thats exactly what I meant. I may want to be a paramedic REGARDLESS if I get a promo exam or not. And if I get a promo exam ill still try and get that 100 on the civil exam... I will still go in the academy fresh and open to the entire experience... theres NOWAY I want special treatment.... I want to score just as good on the CPAT as anyother guy.... In fact I didnt even know they changed the CPAT up for EMT guys.... and I actually agree... I dont see any reasoning in that.

The fact of the matter is.... our pro EMT-promotion opinions are in line with NEW YORK (since their the ones who have it). THE DEPARTMENT YOU WORK FOR (haters). So go whine and cry to those who pay you... not those who want to work with you.

Im having a feelin these guys are trying to get me to think NY is full of whining FFs who dont like EMS promotion guys- so that I dont attempt to get in. Well thanks for that. Now my determination and resolve is MUCH HIGHER. And ill see just how many of New Yorks bravest look down on it when I visit a couple firehouses over there next summer.

Ill see you in the firehouse FRED.

Forum Member

FYI the last FDNY ems promotional exam to firefighter was cancelled and there is currently no future exam scheduled

Forum Member

You want to get on FDNY right? Do yourself a favor and listen to the guy who works there and give the rationalizations, the juvenile back-talk and the other bull**** a break. It's not getting you anywhere.

Forum Member

blaze, can you PLEASE video tape your visit to the FDNY firehouses when you pose this scenario and "see what they think"? and maybe post the video to youtube? id hate to miss this. maybe the most awkward, unintentional, comedy on youtube...and that would say a lot.

Forum Member

CS,

Whatever you choose to do just remember you have to move to New York if you want to get on the FDNY. This is the current eligibility list of exam 6019 that was just given. As you look at it you will notice that the person with a score of 100.1 (there was no exact 100) had a list number of 1215. The current list didn't even break 1,000. Unless something else happens this person won't be hired. It's just something to think about. You HAVE to be over 100 if you really want to have a shot. Just look that list over and think about it...

http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/...xam/037.5.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tms122 View Post
    You want to get on FDNY right? Do yourself a favor and listen to the guy who works there and give the rationalizations, the juvenile back-talk and the other bull**** a break. It's not getting you anywhere.
    Listen to ONE GUY?! In my experience... its usually the crappiest idea to get the opinion from someone who IS in the job. Best opinions are from people who have done the job and are now retired or doing something else. Especially in this area... or as FRED calls it... "political"

HAHAHA... neither is posting on these forums... its just something to do.

THANOJON... that is most definitely the point. What im trying to say is working with EMS will be the only way I can move there. Unless you can point me to some other job that is legal, highly available, pays a set salary per year, and doesnt require more then a year of education to achieve. Oh... it also has to involve helping people...

Oh... I will record a video. Ill walk in and tell a guy or two the following:
    "Hey... so whadda ya think... im a student... just finished up my EMT/Paramedic (whichever)... I want to move to New York and my dream is to work with you guys. What do you think of me moving over here working with EMS for a few years, helping people... having a job that affords me to live here... and then promoting to fireman."

First of all I really doubt ill get a negative answer... second of all, if I do... I think the general public who I want to help will be somewhat ****ed and offended over a couple of firefighters getting ****ed at a young guy who wants to help people out and has a plan of action when it comes to achieving his dream of working with FDNY.

Or I could just stop posting on these forums for the time being and come back here in 3 or 4 years when im working with FDNY...

I will end it with this. The fact of the matter is I dont know what path I will take. All I know right now is im sick of living in Chicago... will finish my EMT in 3 months... and thats about it. Im not sure if I want to even get a fire science degree or if I will move up to paramedic.

I dont want to take the promotion exam if I dont have to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    Best opinions are from people who have done the job and are now retired or doing something else. Especially in this area... or as FRED calls it... "political"

HAHAHA... neither is posting on these forums... its just something to do.

Really? Let me be the first of the former to say, "you're now on your own"

Forum Member

Let me apologize for that comment.... I meant it within context to the EMS debate... if thats what it would be called... because it sounded like you were going to leave me alone with that anyway...

Will guys get angry if I work with EMS and take the OPEN EXAMINATION?

EMS may be the only way I can move to NY anyway....

Forum Member

Ask as many members as you want. I gather most will have a chuckle or ignore you as most of the other FDNY guys here are doing or they'll tell you how it is and that's exactly what Fred and some others have done.

Thread Information