Forum Member

Default Question About Safer Grants

I tried doing a search but search wouldnt work for me for some reason.

Found out my dept has written a safer grant for 12 new FF. Was told that if we did get it and if the town said yes to accepting the grant the new hires would go towards filling open spots i.e vacations, sick leave etc. Not really going toward man power which I thought this grant was basically for. I was told by an officier that they changed the specifics of the grant and now new hires could be used to basically kill OT. Thanks for your time on any answers.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

In past years that couldn't be done but this year they rewrote it so that departments could fill open positions, prevent layoffs, and rehire those positions that were laid off. We won't know the specifics until the Guidelines come out as far as requirements/limitations but that's the gist of it.

Forum Member

thanks BC, when do the specifics come out?

Forum Member

Can training material be bought with safers money as a retenion tool or is this an AFG

FH Mag/.com Contributor

PG should be out in the next week, that was the plan anyway. Might be off a few days because of the over-run with station grants. Once we see it the application period will be within a week.

DT, training materials are part of AFG. Stipends/bonuses for finishing training levels are the eligible part of that as well as tuition to take above and beyond classes like college courses.

MembersZone Subscriber

We put in money for "facilitating training" of FF1 and FF11, and EMS first responder. That included CPR dummys, AED trainer, etc.

But that was an application in 2006, things may have changed.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They have, no costs associated with training new hires/members to the required levels are eligible. Awardees will receive higher consideration for PPE & training projects in the next AFG cycle to make up for those things not being eligible.

Default SAFER Grants 2009 Round 1

Does anyone know when Round 1 of the 2009 SAFER Grants is to be released?

Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The application period hasn't even opened yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anybody know under the safer grant, are part time personnel eligible for funding under the hiring of personnel or does it have to be full time personnel?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

For each position you hire (56 hours a week minimum) you can have 2 people from the 2008 and earlier guidelines. So you can avoid benefits that way or have a more flexible scheduling system. Most that we do for smaller vollie/combo departments looking for just daytime coverage are done as PTers because the money isn't there for FT plus bennies yet. Plus more flexible in scheduling people that are FT somewhere else.

From the PG: Example: A department may hire two part-time staff persons at 28 hours each to fulfill the scheduled work hours of one 56-hour shift position. Please note, however, that since the number of scheduled shifts that a department typically uses is three or four, the number of individuals that may share in a SAFER-funded position will be limited to four. Part-time positions will not be funded unless they are combined to equal a full-time position.

So if you go for one FF to be on 6a-6p M-F you can have 4 people filling those hours on the payroll. If you get 2 positions you can have a pool of 8 to pick from which is what we do for most as I mentioned above.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks BC79er I might pick your brains later

FH Mag/.com Contributor

10-4k. Don't wait too long though, might not be any left.

Forum Member

I know it won't be set in stone until the PG is out, but what is the likelihood that this year's program will actually include the 100% funding for 4 years?

In this year's contract we agreed to reduce our minimum manning by two. This means that now we have a minimum of 13 on duty now instead of 15 for four stations (four engines, truck company, and command vehicle). This agreement was reached in order to avoid the layoff of 9 firefighters. Instead we will be loosing members through attrition until we get to 17 per shift (which we are only 1 away from now). Outside of the issues mentioned here in our contract, we also lost our Deputy Director position. We operate under a Public Safety Director which oversees both the police and fire departments. Our DD position was the direct supervision for the FD, but now we are missing that position as well.

I say all of that to ask your opinions. I know that the PG isn't out and no one is exactly sure how the priority is going to be placed with layoffs, etc, but would decreasing our manning levels fit what they are seeking even though we technically didn't lay anyone off through our negotiations. The city did eliminate the DD position, so the other question would be, can we get this position back as well?

Appreciate any and all input. Trying to put together something to present to our city council to convince them to apply for the SAFER Grant.

Forum Member

Not2l84u2, From what I have been told, the grant may cover 100% for 4 years of new hires, the grant can also be used to avoid lay offs, people that have been laid off, and open positions. Now how many years they will cover for the last 3 will have to be seen when the pg comes out in October.
    I hope that this helps.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

100% for the 1st 2 years, then 50%, 70%, 100% local money to round out the 5 years. It was from the Stimulus bill, already set in stone that those are the amounts. IAFF was lobbying for more, but all that does is push off layoffs for 5 years and still most won't be able to make the 5th year 100% match no matter whether it is a 2 or 4 year 0% match. Hanging the 5th year 100% along side of defaulting on the grant and having to pay the whole 4 years worth back is keeping a lot of cities out of the application.

The other question will be the requirement to keep all the positions for five years. Most finance folks I know do not want to make that type of commitment.

Thread Information