Default Academy Question..

Hey guys, I just finished my EMT-B & I start the Fire Academy tomorrow. I got sponsored from a local FD where I was an explorer & got a scholarship for school, so I've got all my gear & everything I need. My question is, what should I take with me (ie: flashlight, hand tools, etc.)? In the explorers I've learned a lot but I don't want to show up and act like I know everything. So should I just show up with all the basics like my gear, boots, helmet or should I bring a flashlight & tools?? Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Fire Academy

They will let you know what you need when you show up for the orientation. Or, you can call ahead and ask. You can have your extra stuff in your vehicle in case you might need it to start.

Nothing will offend the training staff more than you telling them a better way to do something. How you did it in your FF1 academy, reserve or other department. The only task you need to focus on is how they do it in this department. Training divisions are their own kingdoms. This is not a democracy! You have no time or opinion.

Showing up at the academy is not the time to start getting ready. You need to be in shape and hit the ground running. Itís not just the physical part. You have to pass every segment of the academy including the final test to demonstrate you can function in the field.

Itís not uncommon to have a group of candidates let go in the final two weeks of the academy because they canít master ladder throws, repel or operate the equipment. More than one candidate has been let go because they couldnít start the chain saw, operate the jaws or struggled on the drill ground in the final test.

ďThe worst mistake is to have the best ladder at the wrong wall.Ē Donald Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense, USA
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shmabs09 View Post
    Hey guys, I just finished my EMT-B & I start the Fire Academy tomorrow. I got sponsored from a local FD where I was an explorer & got a scholarship for school, so I've got all my gear & everything I need. My question is, what should I take with me (ie: flashlight, hand tools, etc.)? In the explorers I've learned a lot but I don't want to show up and act like I know everything. So should I just show up with all the basics like my gear, boots, helmet or should I bring a flashlight & tools?? Thanks!
    I agree and feel the most important thing you can bring to your fire academy is your eyes/ears open and your mouth shut! Trust me, there will be at least one or two of your fellow classmates who will **** off the instructors for saying "Well thats not the way we do it/learned it at my department." Not a good first impression! You are there to learn the academy's way.

Yes, you should already be in very physical condition prior to starting your academy. I'm guessing your academy has some type of P.T. Be sure to leave an extra set of workout cloths and shoes in your locker. I would just show up with the equipment you were told to bring and then find out with the instructors if you can bring your other items. It's a good idea to bring your own water and gatorade in case they do not supply it or they run out.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Alrighty, thanks a lot guys! I'm looking forward to gettin started with this. Anymore advice or anything is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Forum Member

Definitely bring your ears!!! LOL. Dont get caught up in trying to have pocket tools and different gadgets cause it will only mess you up and slow you down. You are there to learn the basics, and you will have plenty of time to learn other little tricks of the trade after you are done with the academy. Good luck!!!!!

Forum Member

If its a GOOD academy I wouldnt even bring anything. They shud provide you with anything and everything you need... If your paying that is. If its a dept. sponsored academy, (meaning your technically hired) than have at it.

Just stick with it...it'll get tough but stick with it. When i went thru, one of our many final tests was to don the scba along with everything that goes with it in 35 sec. or less. Passed. Plus an obstacle course with a 5 story training tower in under 6 minutes... passed in 5:01. Thought I'd never do it.

Thread Information