Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

650+ applicants

15 slots

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by naylor54 View Post
    650+ applicants

15 slots
    Tough odds, I just hope the testing process and scoring is what it's supposed to be and it's not a hand picked process like so many other have been as of late...

Forum Member

family members definitely have an advantage. even if they fail the written test multiple times before they actually pass it (and move on to the panel interview), they're still a shoo-in. the next priority is medics (at least, it used to be, that may not be the case so much anymore).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    family members definitely have an advantage. even if they fail the written test multiple times before they actually pass it (and move on to the panel interview), they're still a shoo-in. the next priority is medics (at least, it used to be, that may not be the case so much anymore).
    Legacy always does get the bump up it seems, which wouldn't bother me at all if their family would do the right thing and realistically prepare them for the job.. Why on earth you'd vouch for your son, sister, or cousin to get a job with a Fire Department if they not only were incapable of giving proper pt. care or even physically be in shape to do the job properly, but were going to make the entire department look bad and possibly kill someone else or themselves.. Just doesn't make sense...

650+ applicants

15 slots
    14 spots.
    #15 is mine!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    14 spots.
    #15 is mine!
    So who's your daddy or what quota are you filling? If not I wouldn't be so self assured there tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by FFIT863 View Post
    So who's your daddy or what quota are you filling? If not I wouldn't be so self assured there tiger!
    Haha. Gotta be confident with yourself.
    I'm just a young white male from across the state trying, no, going to get hired.

If one isn't confident with themselves, how you gonna beat out the other 649?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

By testing better and physically out performing every other candidate.. No wait, that would be a perfect world with just hiring practices where those that excel are rewarded for their effort and ability, not the one we live in presently...

I'm just a young white male from across the state trying, no, going to get hired.

They would be missing out on a very good fireman if they passed you up bro. Best of luck and call me with the results when you get em'.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFIT863 View Post
    By testing better and physically out performing every other candidate.. No wait, that would be a perfect world with just hiring practices where those that excel are rewarded for their effort and ability, not the one we live in presently...
    Or maybe by allowing that bitterness to show up in your interviews or conversations with members of that department...that'll get you a job....

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    They would be missing out on a very good fireman if they passed you up bro. Best of luck and call me with the results when you get em'.
    Thanks brother!
    Check your PM box
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Or maybe by allowing that bitterness to show up in your interviews or conversations with members of that department...that'll get you a job....
    trust me, if you're educated and prepared enough to beat everyone your applying against you know the ropes well enough to hide your feelings during an interview situation. Not to mention everyone working for the department and on the panels knows exactly the problems with the hiring process and the candidates they are forced to choose vs the ones they'd actually prefer to work with. It's an awful biased selection system at best and you're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

For every single candidate who was hired on their own merits and test scores alone there are 100s who were family, quota, or knew someone high up on the job. Aztil that changes we can't ever expect public perception to change or members of various FD's showing up in the media for less than noble reasons. Bitterness vs realism are two totally different animals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes...all those things are true, but that ratio is a little off. I'm just not a very big conspiracy theorist. I think bitterness and realism are kind of meshing together in your situation. Even if the ratio is high, and it's nowhere near that high, it's the way things are. Just accept it and do everything else that you can control. How long have you been applying?

Forum Member

I took the test (my first test and first application submitted) Tuesday, the 13th, and thought it was fairly simple (FF/EMT). I had a few questions that I wasn't sure about but fairly certain I got above a 90. Right now I know of 4 questions that I got wrong but there aren't any others that I can remember that I had a question on. Good luck to everyone.

I asked my dad what happens if a firefighter or fellow chief calls him to recommend their son/daughter/whatever while he's hiring and he said that he usually takes it and puts a note on their file that they were recommended. Of course he said he also takes into account the person who called him and what he knows of him, so that he doesn't contribute to the decline of the fire service by hiring a lazy child of a ff.

Monday, the 19th, can't come soon enough. I am so anxious to hear! Even if I don't get the job, the experience from testing and interviewing should pay off in the future.

Has anyone heard the number that they'll be taking to the panel interview?

Forum Member

Yes...all those things are true, but that ratio is a little off. I'm just not a very big conspiracy theorist. I think bitterness and realism are kind of meshing together in your situation. Even if the ratio is high, and it's nowhere near that high, it's the way things are. Just accept it and do everything else that you can control. How long have you been applying?
    I hope you are right with the ratio off or else I'll never be hired haha. Honestly, I know of 1 firefighter out of dozens hired on what could be considered his own merits. That being said, he had 3 years prior experience with another dept. and his former LT. who knew someone high up on the larger dept. he was applying for.. That was also 3 years ago when agencies were hiring 100 a year, not now when some depts. are lucky to do 5-10. Every student in my paramedic class that is on the job, 12 out of 17, is quota, legacy, or veteran's preference if not a combo.

I myself through ride time and life have made some friends.. I would never even dream of saying I made it through on my own merits alone unless I happen to get hired by one of the agencies I applied for several hours out of my area.

As much as it sucks, it is the nature of the beast and the industry in general, butthis is the greatest job there is and this is what we have to deal with to get one. That's why I wish change would happen. I want the people on the trucks and on the street to have nothing but the utmost respect for the profession and have done everything they can do get there and truly be the best of the best.. I know that's the care I would want for my family and that's the level ofcommitment I want to give to the community I serve ya know? I guess bitterness and realism also equal optimism too haha.

Forum Member

Well, one down. I didn't get selected. Actually got an 88 on my test.

Thought I did a little better, but oh well. I'm sure having no experience and no medic cert didn't help. :P

Forum Member

I heard a little more about the process.

650 applied, 375 were tested, 55 will be moving on to the panel interview.

The 55 for the panel interview will be selected from test scores, experience, veteran's preference, and then medic cert or almost done with medic school with get priority.

They will most likely do another test in the spring for the next batch of hiring.

Gotta go study! :P

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trained View Post
    I heard a little more about the process.

650 applied, 375 were tested, 55 will be moving on to the panel interview.

The 55 for the panel interview will be selected from test scores, experience, veteran's preference, and then medic cert or almost done with medic school with get priority.

They will most likely do another test in the spring for the next batch of hiring.

Gotta go study! :P
    Where did you hear this info from? Just curious because it contradicts quite a few things I've heard.. Esp regarding a 2nd test in the spring...

Forum Member

The info came from Chief Nesmith. He didn't say they would definitely hold a test, but that they were considering it for the next round.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trained View Post
    The info came from Chief Nesmith. He didn't say they would definitely hold a test, but that they were considering it for the next round.
    Well I would imagine Chief Nesmith would know a thing or two haha.. If you had that connection I'm surprised you even had to test man! You're definitely gonna get on so keep studying and applying bro....

Thread Information