1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default CNN in the tank for Pres. Obama

    You need no further proof. Raging headline indicates that the Pres. hit a HR last night. Read the last sentence. It will make you laugh.

    September 10, 2009
    CNN Poll: Double-digit post-speech jump for Obama plan
    Posted: September 10th, 2009 10:51 AM ET
    WASHINGTON (CNN) — Two out of three Americans who watched President Barack Obama's health care reform speech Wednesday night favor his health care plans — a 14-point gain among speech-watchers, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national poll of people who tuned into Obama's address Wednesday night to a joint session of Congress.

    Sixty-seven percent of people questioned in the survey say the support Obama's health care reform proposals that the president outlined in his address, with 29 percent opposed. Those figures are almost identical to a poll conducted immediately after Bill Clinton's health care speech before Congress in September, 1993.

    The audience for the speech appears to be more Democratic than the U.S. population as a whole. Because of this, the results may favor Obama simply because more Democrats than Republicans tune into the speech. The poll surveyed the opinions of people who watched Wednesday night's speech, and does not reflect the views of all Americans.

    (Full results after the jump)



    About one in seven people who watched the speech changed their minds on Obama's health care plan. "Going into the speech, a bare majority of his audience — 53 percent — favored his proposals. Immediately after the speech, that figure rose to 67 percent," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "But the real question is whether those conversions will last. Bill Clinton got similar numbers after his 1993 address to Congress, but five months later a majority of the country no longer supported his plan."

    Fifty-six percent of people questioned say they had a very positive reaction to the speech, with 21 percent indicating they had a somewhat positive reaction and a equal amount suggesting they had a negative reaction. The 56 percent who said they had a very positive reaction is lower than the 68 percent of speech watchers who had a similar reaction to the president's first address to a joint session of Congress in February.

    More than seven in ten say that Obama clearly stated his goals, with one in four saying he didn't express his goals clearly.

    Three out of four say it's very or somewhat likely that the president will pass most of his proposals on health care reform through Congress, with one in four saying it's unlikely.

    Seven in 10 say that Obama's policies will move the country in the right direction, up 10 points from before the speech.

    The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted just before and just after the president's speech, with 427 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 5 percentage points.

    The sample of speech-watchers in this poll was 45 percent Democratic and 18 percent Republican. Our best estimate of the number of Democrats in the voting age population as a whole indicates that the sample is about 8-10 points more Democratic than the population as a whole.

    –CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  2. #2
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    I saw that as well. What a lousy piece of reporting. I was watching the speech on CBS. They would pan the crowd as they cheered and stop just short of those not cheering. There is no such thing as unbiased reporting for those slime balls. Their coverage made me so sick I switched to FOX.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,273

    Default

    George what did you expect CNN, aka 'communist news network', to do. They are in 'bed' with that clown. If obama crapped gold cuff links, they would be the first to report it and have the photos to show it.

    I would expect that all other news shows, went right along with him too. I haven't have a chance to look at all of their reports.



    I don't take anything for fact coming from CNN.

    Wasn't they they first to say something back on September 11, 2001, that the attack was something that President Bush constructed??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    George what did you expect CNN, aka 'communist news network', to do. They are in 'bed' with that clown. If obama crapped gold cuff links, they would be the first to report it and have the photos to show it.

    I would expect that all other news shows, went right along with him too. I haven't have a chance to look at all of their reports.



    I don't take anything for fact coming from CNN.

    Wasn't they they first to say something back on September 11, 2001, that the attack was something that President Bush constructed??
    I didn't expect anything less from CNN. I just wasn't expecting to find proof so easily.

    BTW, leave the 9/11 thing alone, please.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    I didn't think the actual coverage was too bad, other then they kept panning to Hillary Clinton and her I-was-a-extra-in-Elf Pant-suit.

    The linked article is pretty ridiculous though especially given that the poll had a small sample size and the results are inline with the political skew.

    I thought Joe Wilson and the rest of the Republicans acted irresponsibly and didn't show the position any respect with their antics. At the same time, the Democrat's over-enthusiastic applause and ovations were just as annoying.

    As for the speech itself, I thought it was alright. He's certainly a better speaker then Bush and actually made his points pretty well... whether or not to believe them or not is still up for debate. I remember watching and thinking "This doesn't sound too bad.. what's the catch".
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  6. #6
    Savage / Hyneman 08'

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    I didn't think the actual coverage was too bad, other then they kept panning to Hillary Clinton and her I-was-a-extra-in-Elf Pant-suit.

    The linked article is pretty ridiculous though especially given that the poll had a small sample size and the results are inline with the political skew.

    I thought Joe Wilson and the rest of the Republicans acted irresponsibly and didn't show the position any respect with their antics. At the same time, the Democrat's over-enthusiastic applause and ovations were just as annoying.

    As for the speech itself, I thought it was alright. He's certainly a better speaker then Bush and actually made his points pretty well... whether or not to believe them or not is still up for debate. I remember watching and thinking "This doesn't sound too bad.. what's the catch".
    Since when does respect have a place in politics?

    Joe Wilson should keep up the good work. When a person tells a lie you should call him on it. If you tolerate it, you get even more lies told to you.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Of course their "poll" was skewed.When you are supporting one candidate over another instead of being impartial and objective,you have to stack the deck to get the results that you want to show.
    I don't have cable right now but when I do watch it,I do prefer reporting that doesn't lead you by the nose to the result that the reporter wants you to draw.
    I think for myself and expect others to do the same.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    One thing to keep in mind was that the poll was only targeted at people who watched the address and to see if the address changed their mind.

    I am sure that a much higher percentage of Dems watched the President than Republicans. So the poll probably reflects an accurate mix off Dems/Reps who watched the speech.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    One thing to keep in mind was that the poll was only targeted at people who watched the address and to see if the address changed their mind.

    I am sure that a much higher percentage of Dems watched the President than Republicans. So the poll probably reflects an accurate mix off Dems/Reps who watched the speech.
    That is not what the headline represents.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    I realize that. But the first line does read:

    Two out of three Americans who watched President Barack Obama's health care reform speech Wednesday night favor his health care plans — a 14-point gain among speech-watchers
    The headlines are burried in the archives now, but I want to say that they did change the headline to reflect the scenario more accurately.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  11. #11
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I am sure that a much higher percentage of Dems watched the President than Republicans. So the poll probably reflects an accurate mix off Dems/Reps who watched the speech.
    Oh, I don't know about that...

    I watched the whole thing.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that...

    I watched the whole thing.
    Smart Republicans probably watched it .

    Honestly, I think it comes down to being reasonable about your political beliefs.

    People who have the "I'm R/D, I've always been R/D, I will only vote R/D, no matter what because the D/R's are evil" mindset would not watch a national address like this.

    People who have the "I'm a R/D because I agree with their stand on issues. I have voted R/D most or all of the time because they are the party that most closely represents what I believe. The other party is not evil, but I don't agree with their stand on issues." mindset would probably watch the speech of an opposing party President.

    People that are more "issue" driven, instead of being "party" driven, would be more inclined to watch the speech because they actually care about what he has to say.

    I would guess that Dems that fall into the "Reps are evil" mindset would have watched the speech because Obama is the savior.

    People from both parties that follow the "issues are more important than blind party affiliation" mindset watched it.

    Reps that fall into the "Dems are evil" mindset did not watch it because Obama is the communist antichrist.

    So I would predict, using very non-scientific guestimations, a 66%/33% Dem/Rep split.
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 09-13-2009 at 03:06 AM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Cooolll!!!
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    Since when does respect have a place in politics?
    There's an expectation of decorum for the office of the president in the House Chambers. Calling the President a "liar" is considered unparliamentary. It is one of the reasons he was not only booed but many GOP legislators condemned the act.

    Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    Joe Wilson should keep up the good work. When a person tells a lie you should call him on it. If you tolerate it, you get even more lies told to you.
    Wilson's denounciation is a day late and a dollar short.

    Link

    On Wednesday night, Rep. Joe Wilson [R, SC-2], shouted “You lie!” at President Obama when he said that the healthcare bill would not cover illegal immigrants. “The supporters of the government takeover of healthcare and liberals who want to give healthcare to illegals are using my opposition as an excuse to distract from the critical questions being raised about this poorly conceived plan,” Wilson said the next day in a campaign fundraising video.

    However, in 2003, Wilson voted to provide federal funds for illegal immigrants’ healthcare. The vote came on the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003, which contained Sec. 1011 authorizing $250,000 annually between 2003 and 2008 for government reimbursements to hospitals who provide treatment for uninsured illegal immigrants. The program has been extended through 2009 and there is currently a bipartisan bill in Congress to make it permanent.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    There's an expectation of decorum for the office of the president in the House Chambers. Calling the President a "liar" is considered unparliamentary. It is one of the reasons he was not only booed but many GOP legislators condemned the act.
    Did you condemn the legislators who booed Pres. Bush in those hallowed halls?

    How about the legislators who booed Pres. Clinton?

    I agree that is was classless. But I honest to God don't see it as that big of a deal.

    authorizing $250,000 annually between 2003 and 2008 for government reimbursements to hospitals who provide treatment for uninsured illegal immigrants.
    It is a little disingenuous to suggest that Wilson voted to give money to illegal aliens for health care. The bill he voted on, outlined above, was to reimburse hospitals for providing treatment to illegal aliens, as they were required to by law. And exactly how far did the $250,000 go when you are looking at arguably 10-15 million illegal aliens?
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 09-13-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    And exactly how far did the $250,000 go when you are looking at arguably 10-15 million illegal aliens?
    $250,000 would not even be enough to put one bilingual EMTALA sign in each ED in the country.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  17. #17
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    That is not what the headline represents.
    CNN has a way of writing headlines that don't accurately depict the nature of the story.

  18. #18
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    One thing to keep in mind was that the poll was only targeted at people who watched the address and to see if the address changed their mind.

    I am sure that a much higher percentage of Dems watched the President than Republicans. So the poll probably reflects an accurate mix off Dems/Reps who watched the speech.
    I suspect you are right as well. Although I watched the entire speech as well. I found it humorous how CBS only showed the audience portion that was applauding. Interestingly was that many times less than 50% were in approval.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Did you condemn the legislators who booed Pres. Bush in those hallowed halls?

    How about the legislators who booed Pres. Clinton?

    I agree that is was classless. But I honest to God don't see it as that big of a deal.
    Interesting enough, booing isn't considered quite as egregious as calling a president liar from the House floor. Don't ask me why.

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    It is a little disingenuous to suggest that Wilson voted to give money to illegal aliens for health care. The bill he voted on, outlined above, was to reimburse hospitals for providing treatment to illegal aliens, as they were required to by law. And exactly how far did the $250,000 go when you are looking at arguably 10-15 million illegal aliens?
    It's $250K per facility. The point is Wilson approved legislation that provides for illegal immigration. Given his strident remarks it's disingenuous for him to be taking a stand against this issue when he voted for it at an earlier time.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Interesting enough, booing isn't considered quite as egregious as calling a president liar from the House floor. Don't ask me why.
    Because they are politicians, and therefore hypocrites.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's $250K per facility.
    Oooooooooooh. That is just TONS of money to help with all that care they provide and actually lose money on. So wonderful of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The point is Wilson approved legislation that provides for illegal immigration.
    Suprisingly I see it differently. He voted to provide some manner of pitiful reimbursement for funds that - by Federal law - hospitals are required to spend on people since no patient can be turned away for any reason. That is what is known in these parts as an unfunded mandate.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Given his strident remarks it's disingenuous for him to be taking a stand against this issue when he voted for it at an earlier time.
    Not really.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's $250K per facility. The point is Wilson approved legislation that provides for illegal immigration. Given his strident remarks it's disingenuous for him to be taking a stand against this issue when he voted for it at an earlier time.
    I know that is per facility. My question still stands.

    I also respectfully disagree with your assessment of the vote. Hospitals are required by law to treat whoever walks in the door-no green card check. Hospitalls were still going to required to treat illegal aliens regardless of this legislation. This legislation compensated hospitals for having to treat people the government was afraid to deal with.

    It was pro-hospital legislation, not pro-illegal alien.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I know that is per facility. My question still stands.

    I also respectfully disagree with your assessment of the vote. Hospitals are required by law to treat whoever walks in the door-no green card check. Hospitalls were still going to required to treat illegal aliens regardless of this legislation. This legislation compensated hospitals for having to treat people the government was afraid to deal with.

    It was pro-hospital legislation, not pro-illegal alien.
    Those are semantics given the strident nature of the anti illegal immigrant groups.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  23. #23
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Those are semantics given the strident nature of the anti illegal immigrant groups.
    Those are hardly semantics. As I said, I respectfully disagree.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Those are semantics given the strident nature of the anti illegal immigrant groups.
    What is that your newest word from your "word a day" calendar?

    Everything the past month has been about semantics with you lately. Perhaps you ought to look up the meaning of the word.

    Given the distressed financial nature of any of a number of hospitals even in good times, especially with the incredible amount of money many spend on caring for the uninsured, and in many areas the number of illegal immigrants - which the government REQUIRES them to treat, shouldn't the government throw them a bone to help offset some of the costs?

    I eagerly await your typical nonanswer.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is Pres. Obama Lying?
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 11:24 PM
  2. Pres. Obama a "Leader"?
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 279
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 01:52 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
  4. Pres. Obama seeks to take control of Internet
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 02:38 AM
  5. Pres. Obama and the Disabled
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register