Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation help me, tp may book to chose from

http://www.eatstress.com

I have been told this is one of the best place to get your curve for the edge over the competition books for becoming a firefighter. I have about 50 bucks or so I can spend. I am trying to find a way to maximize my money and get what it would be best for me to get in the door. If anyone could help me with some ideas I would very much appreciate it, my head is hurting from staring at the different offers for the last two hours or so.

I would highly recommend "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview" by Paul S. Lepore. Google it. Lepore has a lot of years of experience on the Oral board. I recently had a interview with department in Maryland and I can honestly say that every question/situation question they asked was in that book.

I have the pleasure of knowing and working with Chief Paul Lepore and I use his books to help me help others take their Orals. I have had a high success rate and highly recommend using his books.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

My main experience is with Captain Bob's CD program and they were very helpful.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default If you have to choose...

Sign up for Capt Bob's free email newsletters and buy Smoke Your Firefighter Interview. It not only gives an example of a right answer, but also gives the reasoning behind why. Really helped me understand the thought process.

Forum Member

Thank everyone for you help and info. After all my looking I ended up with geting the Captain Bob books. I been reading the Frist E book and been really helpful. I had my daughter this weeked so not much time to read but wanbt got to read I realy liked and saw whay i did wrong in my othe oral boards.

Forum Member

Jay, ZZ, and NC,
    Thank you for the kind words. My dad was not a firefighter. I had to learn it all on my own. I found it incredibly important to learn the culture of the fire service in order to do well on the interviews. That's why my book is more than just questions and answers. I clearly explain the REASONS why I believe the answers are correct. If you simply parrot what somebody tells you to say the board will see right through you and you will not score well. It's imperative to understand the REASONS behind the answers.

The fire department interview is like no other interview you will ever take. In the business world you are looking to present yourself as a very qualified candidate with all of the certifications and experience required to do the job. In the fire service, while these things are important, it's more important that you will fit in and be liked by your peers. It doesn't matter if you are the most qualified person with the thickest resume. If you are not a nice guy (or girl) who will fit in, nobody will want you on their crew.

Those who tell you that getting hired is a numbers game are all wrong. It doesn't matter how many interviews you take if you are giving poor answers.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by paulLepore; 09-15-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Member

So far I been really happy with the captn bob program I bot been really helpful. I seen what did wrong in many of my other oral boards. Hope I get use what learn soon I really liked it, we will see.

Forum Member

Hey guys I just got Smoke Your Firefighter Interview, and I have read capt Bob's book.
    What book do you guys recomend to help with written test scores? I seem to be stuck getting 85% or around there on a lot of tests.
    Thanks, Lane

Quote Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
    Hey guys I just got Smoke Your Firefighter Interview, and I have read capt Bob's book.
    What book do you guys recomend to help with written test scores? I seem to be stuck getting 85% or around there on a lot of tests.
    Thanks, Lane
    Good selection here- www.firebooks.com

Thread Information