Forum Member

Default Need some career advice

I am:

- 20 years old.
    - Have an associates in Fire Science.
    - Passed my NREMT and am now a certified EMT-B.

I am kind of stuck, I feel like I am off to a good start in regards to eventually getting on a department. But, there are literally no jobs out there right now. A lot of departments in my area (chicago burbs) have a 21 years old age requirement or paramedic requirement.

I have applied at a few local private ambulances and none seem to be hiring at the moment.

I don't really know where to go from here. I plan on applying to Paramedic school when those applications open, but it's going to be tough to get into a paramedic school without any experience.

I enjoy school and have a strong GPA (3.7ish) and wouldn't mind transferring to a 4-year, but I've noticed very few schools have a masters program regarding Fire Science.

Is my best bet to just go to a University and obtain a bachelors in something not related to the fire service? I'm not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Forum Member

Try getting onto a part-time or volunteer dept, they will send you to an academy to get FFII. I would also apply to medic school, even without experience people get in!

The economy will turn around eventually, and when it does Dept.s will be hiring. Good time to be in medic school right now!

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to a university and get a bach degree. I would try and get it in something other than fire science just as a back-up. When you are at the university check the local community colleges for a paramedic program.

Right now there are departments laying off state wide especially up north. With that most to get hired at those when the state of the economy improves will be the layed off guys first. You still have a lot of time to start a career in the fire service.

Forum Member

Default Jobs

You don't want to hear this, but have a backup plan. Getting a FF job is going to be really hard for a few years. Bad economy and too many FF on layoff, job cuts, hiring freezes.

Take a few non fire and non EMS classes for a plan B. Business classes maybe or something else that interests you. Keep applying at the privates, there are at least a dozen of them here, hit them all. Find a POC department to get in with. Where do you live?

Thread Information