Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danger

Default Danger

What's the most dangerous situation you've ever been in?

Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    What's the most dangerous situation you've ever been in?
    Getting called into the Chief's office for an *** chewing.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Walking into my home at 3am....and finding my wife still waiting up.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

coming home in the middle of the night from an injury to the sound of a shotgun being loaded cause I didnt want to 'wake' her.

MembersZone Subscriber

Driving through a green light.....

Honestly, I better not write the details or I risk my wife finding out. She worries enough about me without needing to know the most dangerous situations I have been in.

But generically speaking: Anytime I respond code 3, especially in bad weather, or between 0200-0400 while the drunks are driving home.

The secret is not to focus on the "how dangerous is it" question. The biggest lesson is to do whatever it is you are doing, and do it as safely as you can.

You will never be able to eliminate all risks, but you can minimize the risks that are caused by your actions. Train, be aware of your surroundings, keep a cool head, trust your brothers and make sure that they know they can trust you.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

My wife is a redhead. Anytime I refer to or hint in any way that she is Peg Bundy.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I started to challenge George on one of his opinions once, but I came to my senses and decided it would be safer to agree with him.

Forum Member

ended up spotting directly in front of a sidewinder on an f18 after it came in unnanounced at like 2300 with no comm, electric, or hydro ended up with hot brakes, and leaking fuel... could have been a bad night.

would have pulled back but our rescue truck spotted behind me and they were all out on the taxiway doing their thing. worst feeling 10 minutes of my life was staring that missle in the face.

We had just ate chili for dinner and we caught a run, then another then another. I had to crap bad and we were inbound to the house and then.........the gas build up was to much and a catastrophic noise came from within me and I wondered.....was that all gas ?????

It was just gas but it was a close call missed.

Forum Member

I prefer not to celebrate any dangerous situations I have been in. They are part of the job, you need to be aware and focus on your surroundings and the situation you are in. After the fact talk about it for training. Chest thumping over a situation where you are in danger is, well, dangerous in and of itself.

Wink

Trying to explain to my wife why I was out late with the guys, hitting the bars and coming home with the scent of another woman on me!

MembersZone Subscriber

Touching myself with Tabasco on my fingers....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    lol...

could have been worse...

it could have been "liquid stupid," or something even hotter...

Forum Member

1st time I had sex. It was dark...lonely...

The wife wanted me to empty the dishwasher. I had consumed a few adult beverages and I blurted out "heck no, that's woman's work."

I was really joking but after waking up on my own puddle of blood, I walked over to the dishwasher and emptied it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Well, There was this one time......

A large apartment complex caught fire, I had to rescue all of the occupants by myself.. I dint have an air pack, or a fire hose.. After carrying all 250 residents to safety ( their towards the end, I carried one on each shoulder).. I returned to the building to put the fire out (again By myself) all I had was my super human ability's and a FIT-5.. After it flashed on me, I threw a "fit" in there... And here I IS....

Is that more what you where looking for??

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Tabasco is for wimps....

Real men would touch themselves after handling Dave's Ultimate Insanity Hot Sauce!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe real men could just get a date??

MembersZone Subscriber

Trying to explain to the old lady at home yeah thats pretty tough. Truthfully if it was a close call where your *** was in danger then your not going to speak of any of your close calls.
    Josh Bean
    FF/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Tabasco is for wimps....

Real men would touch themselves after handling Dave's Ultimate Insanity Hot Sauce!
    One time after eating some insane hot wings, I was feeling frisky and got a little intimate with the wife. (What can I say, hot wings will do that to a guy ). I THOUGHT that I gave my fingers a real good scrubbing, but I soon found out that I didn't.

The only thing more dangerous than touching the wife with Wing Stop Atomic Wing Sauce fingers in her *cough* you know where *cough*, is the inability to hold back the grin and slight giggles when she starts screaming bloody murder.....

Thread Information