Thread: Nfpa 1975

Forum Member

Default Nfpa 1975

Does anyone have a handle on NFPA 1975? Looking at new uniforms, seems as though none of the 100% cotton carry the "NFPA 1975 compliant" label yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bushrodgentry View Post
    Does anyone have a handle on NFPA 1975? Looking at new uniforms, seems as though none of the 100% cotton carry the "NFPA 1975 compliant" label yet.
    Not sure where you're looking but we've been issued 1975 compliant 100% cotton uniforms for many years now.We've had Flying Cross, Lion's and Topp's.

Flying Cross/Fechhiemer: http://www.fechheimer.com/cms3.asp?C...D=8&ProdID=111
    Topps: http://www.anchortex.com/cgi-bin/sho...on&key=T300259
    Lion: http://www.uniforms-etc.com/product....&categoryId=44

MembersZone Subscriber

Buy Nomex, cotton is heavier, fades and stays damp longer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post

This is true. However, there is some growing research out there (admittedly from a non-fire standpoint, high-altitude mountaineering specifically) about the long-term effects of synthetics vs natural fibers worn against the skin. Specifically as it relates to perspiration, the related off-loading of waste products thereof, and cellular metabolism in extreme environments FWIW...

Also, cotton does feel better IMHO when worn for long durations. That said, yes, it does stay wet longer and thus helps reduce body temperature which can be a disadvantage during Maine winters! On real cold days/nights I wear Merino wool long underwear under my uniform (100% cotton) and have found that it really makes a difference. The only problem is that when you are working hard you are warmer. It's great for the 3am, 5 degree surround and drown operations though.

If only they could find a way to spin Merino wool to make it work for station wear!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    All true. We countered this buy buying twice as much Cotton for less money than Nomex or Flamex. The fading is still an issue, mostly for our FFer's who where dark blue up and down, trying to stay one color blue is not easy. Some even tried washing the shirts as much as the pants, but with polo's, and t-shirts allowed the B uni-shirts don't get worn nearly as much and tend to stay darker. If I never have to wear another pair of nomex pants it will be too soon, if you want to try them out, spray a whole can of starch on a pair of Tuff-Skins jeans and iron them!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    spray a whole can of starch on a pair of Tuff-Skins jeans and iron them!
    Oh my god, I didn't even know Tuff-Skins still existed! Memories of my childhood there. That's probably why I feel the same about Nomex pants!

Thread Information