1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Going to be laid off soon and need work so I have a few questions.

    Hello all.

    I am going to be caught up in California's budget mess and will be laid off sometime within the next 3-4 months (either at the end of wildland fire season or at the 1st of the year). Like the rest of you, I have bills to pay will do what is needed to pay them but REALLY don't want to be asking "do you want fries with that"!

    My questions are:
    1) Who pays the best out there? (I have been making some decent OT and need to equal or better it if possible)
    2) Is anybody hiring firefighters within the next 4 months (the one link I saw for Afghanistan had no FF jobs except a Chief)?
    3) All of my certs are California based. Are they acceptable? If not, what can I do to fix that?
    4) I have seen posts here about "telecommunicator" certs. What the heck is that and how do I get 1?
    5) Do all of the jobs require security clearences? (Would be a problem because of debt ratio)
    +++++++++++++++

    Okay, the more I read, the more questions I have (sorry!)
    6) I'm 52, what are my chances? I see that some companies appear to have an age limit?
    7) Somebody mentioned BMI limits. Are there?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can't lose my house!
    Last edited by BigWhiteDog; 09-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    69

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by BigWhiteDog View Post
    Hello all.

    I am going to be caught up in California's budget mess and will be laid off sometime within the next 3-4 months (either at the end of wildland fire season or at the 1st of the year). Like the rest of you, I have bills to pay will do what is needed to pay them but REALLY don't want to be asking "do you want fries with that"!

    My questions are:
    1) Who pays the best out there? (I have been making some decent OT and need to equal or better it if possible)
    2) Is anybody hiring firefighters within the next 4 months (the one link I saw for Afghanistan had no FF jobs except a Chief)?
    3) All of my certs are California based. Are they acceptable? If not, what can I do to fix that?
    4) I have seen posts here about "telecommunicator" certs. What the heck is that and how do I get 1?
    5) Do all of the jobs require security clearences? (Would be a problem because of debt ratio)
    +++++++++++++++

    Okay, the more I read, the more questions I have (sorry!)
    6) I'm 52, what are my chances? I see that some companies appear to have an age limit?
    7) Somebody mentioned BMI limits. Are there?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can't lose my house!
    Whitedog,

    Probably the best pay right now is going to be Wackenhut, (WSI or WSLLC). They are taking Firefighters fast and hot right now going to Iraq. Your total for the year will have a lot of factors, but a lot of guys are seeing around $90K a year, tax exempt up to around $82K. As far as the Certs go, you will need to transfer your FF1 and 2, Haz-mats Ops and Awar. over to DOD, Proboard, or IFSAC, to be able to go over. Telecommunications is a DOD Dispatcher Certification, if you get hired, they will more than likely send you to this class. The company makes their firefighters do their own dispatching, so you have to be Certed to do the job....any job over there as a matter of fact. You will NOT need a security clearance. Don't worry about your age, is shouldn't stop you, they usually take anything will a pulse and a cert...and some of that is optional. Also, don't sweat the BMI thing...see last statement.....

    You need to know that this is a company...NOT a Fire Dept. They are in it to make money any way they can. You have been warned. It's not an ALL bad job, it has it's pros and cons. You will be on a 1 year job, with R&R's every 4 months, lasting ONLY 10 days each trip. www.wsihq.com, check out this website, it will get you started. There are other forums here that will have other information about the job if you look. Good luck...


    "Bobby Hill Forever"

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    116

    Default

    [QUOTE=BigWhiteDog;1096970]Hello all.

    I am going to be caught up in California's budget mess and will be laid off sometime within the next 3-4 months (either at the end of wildland fire season or at the 1st of the year). Like the rest of you, I have bills to pay will do what is needed to pay them but REALLY don't want to be asking "do you want fries with that"!

    I cant answer your overseas question, but what agency are you with in California? Also, what Certs do you have?

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default Bobby Hill

    Bobby Hill rides a short rescue with Fabio and drives a Sportster 880 on his days off.

    Short Rescue Forever

    Slap the back of your neck for me.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    [QUOTE=babcusar5;1097113]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWhiteDog View Post
    Hello all.

    I am going to be caught up in California's budget mess and will be laid off sometime within the next 3-4 months (either at the end of wildland fire season or at the 1st of the year). Like the rest of you, I have bills to pay will do what is needed to pay them but REALLY don't want to be asking "do you want fries with that"!/QUOTE]

    I canít answer your overseas question, but what agency are you with in California? Also, what Certs do you have?

    CalFire (Schedule "A" side ie: local government contract)

    These are my non-wildland ones
    CFSTEP = California Fire Service Education and Training Program (Calif State Fire Marshal's office)

    AS Degree: Administration of Justice
    CalFire Company Officers Academy (COA)
    L-180 Human Factors on the Fire Line (Basically EEO)
    FEMA IS-100, 200, 700, 802
    I-300 Intermediate ICS
    CFSTEP Driver-Operator 1a/1b
    CFSTEP Firefighter 1 and 2
    CalFire Incident management 1 and 2
    CalFire Supervision 2
    CFSTEP Command 1c
    MERRTT Radiological Transport emergency awareness
    CalEMA HazMat FRO-Decon
    CFSTEP River and Floodwater Rescue awareness
    CFSTEP Low Angle Rope Rescue
    CFSTEP Auto extrication
    CFSTEP Basic Pump Ops
    EMT-1 & CPR-D

    I am also over 200 hours into my JAC (Joint Apprenticeship Committee) and as part of that have AARF training. I also was a dispatcher for a private ambulance as well as 911.

    This doesn't include the usual wildland ones that you have to have here in California.
    Last edited by BigWhiteDog; 09-18-2009 at 01:23 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post
    Whitedog,
    As far as the Certs go, you will need to transfer your FF1 and 2, Haz-mats Ops and Awar. over to DOD, Proboard, or IFSAC, to be able to go over.
    What is Proboard? How long (typically) does it take to convert over? Or is it like Nat Reg and I have to test somewhere?

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Side note

    As a quick side note, I posted back in April about getting laid off also. I got lucky and was held on through fire season because several guys promoted out. I won't be so lucky this time, both contract counties in the unit have cut a huge chunk out of the contract budget and positions will be eliminated. Since my LT appointment is up in 6 months anyway, I will be cut and younger guys with more time left will be held onto as long as possible.

    Want to post this just so someone didn't think I was playing some game or "crying wolf".

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Hey Buddy, just want to say I'm sorry to here about the layoffs! Good-news, Bad-news, no matter which way you look at it, all the contract jobs overseas require you to have IFSAC or DOD Certs! (0r proboard certification). Reason why is because it is a government contract that has to follow NFPA standards according to government facilities! I do know that there is a paper factory out in Bucks County PA where you can go and get all the certs you need if you challange and pass the tests! Not sure if there's anything out on the west coast.


    BMI factor is pretty simple, look it up on the web! Unless you are a bodybuilder or seriously obese, you probably won't have to worry about the BMI. If your a bodybuilder, they'll hook you up, if youre obese, well, you probably shouldn't be trying to get this job anyways!

    Yes, they are starting to require security clearances, and they have nothing to do with income to debt ratio! It is all based on how honest you are when you fill out your SF 85. Tell the truth about everything they ask, best advice I can give you! You can pull your credit report off line from annual credit report.com once a year, and you can see and download all three agencies so you should never have a reason to lie on your SF 85. If you've ever been arrested, you better damn well tell the truth, no matter where it was at, they'll find it! You wouldn't believe some of the dirtbag, pieces of crap I've seen get clearances, all because they were HONEST!!!!!

    Good Luck to you BigWhiteDog! It can only get better right???? Man, I hope so!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    69

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdispiece View Post
    Bobby Hill rides a short rescue with Fabio and drives a Sportster 880 on his days off.

    Short Rescue Forever

    Slap the back of your neck for me.
    Outdispiece,

    Oh, this has to be the infamous Gobbler...I'll have you know that I had a great time on the "short" rescue..and I RIDE a Harley Davidson Fatboy 1450...gobble gobble....

    Whitedog,

    http://www.theproboard.org/

    I don't know how your Cal. certs will transfer over, or even if they will. Usually doesn't take that long to get it done..IF you can even do it with those certs. You will just have to make contact and find out.


    "Bobby Hill Forever"

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Now what

    Ok, it looks like there isn't an agency in California that is a member of either ProBoard or IFSAC (not a surprise really. Cali doent like taking other peoples certs. Took us YEARS to accept Nat Reg!) except 1 reservation department and a papermill in SLO that does HazMat, so now what? I have neither the time or the $ to take classes anywhere.
    Last edited by BigWhiteDog; 09-19-2009 at 09:42 AM.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    23

    Default Bobby Hill Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post
    Outdispiece,

    Oh, this has to be the infamous Gobbler...I'll have you know that I had a great time on the "short" rescue..and I RIDE a Harley Davidson Fatboy 1450...gobble gobble....

    Whitedog,

    http://www.theproboard.org/

    I don't know how your Cal. certs will transfer over, or even if they will. Usually doesn't take that long to get it done..IF you can even do it with those certs. You will just have to make contact and find out.


    "Bobby Hill Forever"
    Bobby Hill,

    Chief Taylor said to spray the water on the fire, not at the wall. Once you figure that out, he may let you off the short bus. I'm glad you enjoy riding with Bart, Sammy, and Fabio....the ultimate short bus team. With Bart as your acting officer, he kept you in line. Hahahahhahahaha!!!! Pick up that paper, you will respect him!!!!

    Respectfully,

    Your Hero

    PS-Remeber, I know your deepest, darkest secrets.....and I'll smoke you in halo.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    69

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Outdispiece View Post
    Bobby Hill,

    Chief Taylor said to spray the water on the fire, not at the wall. Once you figure that out, he may let you off the short bus. I'm glad you enjoy riding with Bart, Sammy, and Fabio....the ultimate short bus team. With Bart as your acting officer, he kept you in line. Hahahahhahahaha!!!! Pick up that paper, you will respect him!!!!

    Respectfully,

    Your Hero

    PS-Remeber, I know your deepest, darkest secrets.....and I'll smoke you in halo.
    Please don't mention that guys name again. I retired from the constuction business after I left there...HA HA! I did what he wanted me to. Can't help it if he is mildy retarded. Oh, by the way...I WILL SCHOOL YOU IN HALO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK....and bart can stick that piece of paper up his alabama...

    I know who you are...Gobbler...

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default Bump

    Just bumping this back up to see if there is a new answer.

    Ok, it looks like there isn't an agency in California that is a member of either ProBoard or IFSAC (not a surprise really. Cali doent like taking other peoples certs. Took us YEARS to accept Nat Reg!) except 1 reservation department and a papermill in SLO that does HazMat, so now what? I have neither the time or the $ to take classes anywhere.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Detroit Chiefs Laid Off
    By FireAndy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM
  2. Springfield FF's laid off
    By Adze39 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 02:45 AM
  3. Chief laid to Rest
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2002, 03:57 AM
  4. Firefighter laid to rest
    By NJFFSA16 in forum Line of Duty: In Memory Of
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2002, 12:02 AM
  5. firefighters laid off in n.c.
    By robbie in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2001, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register