Forum Member

Default Firefighter Outlook

Hello all...

I am an 18 year old student at a liberal arts college, who has always had the thought of becoming a firefighter/EMS for a career. My parents on the other hand, are really leary on me becoming a firefighter. So I went to school to please them, and to test it out. Well, simply put, I hate it here.

Now I'm coming to you guys for advice, please no bashing on me. I'm on the brink of quitting after the semester and then proceed to enroll in the fire training academy at my local Comm. College, then I would take EMS classes. Do you guys advise this? Is it still possible to get jobs in these fields? I truly am just miserable here at school, it's just not my gig, and I have tried it out for awhile now. It's not like I've decided this on the first week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Go to college for firefighting... It makes you and your parents happy.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterUMT56 View Post
    Go to college for firefighting... It makes you and your parents happy.
    ...and vastly increases your chances of getting the job you want when you graduate. Do like Scooter said, consider a major in fire science....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, guys. I would go to school for for science while getting my trianing in, but the problem is that the school I'm currently at doesn't do either of these things. This is why I want to transfer. I don't want to stick out the year, like my parents want me to in the least, because I'm afraid I'll miss the boat on some opportunities I have around my home town with fire departments.

I'm pretty much all on my own with this one as far as parentals go. They just won't back me.

Another question is, if you don't mind me asking, is it possible to transfer Financial Aid to the academy, or does the academy usually not accept financial aid?

Forum Member

I know nothing about the fire academy so I'm not going to make it sound like I do. Would it be a possibility to transfer after this semester and not after the year? If you really want to get out of the school you're in now, I would look at that option.
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default school

I am a parent with a child in college - he has the same desire. but listen to your folks. look around these forums and other like websites - there are paid jobs, but they are extremely competitive; and where there are - some are undergoing layoffs and cutbacks.

they only want the best for you - and there are ways to have a rewarding career and be a firefighter at the same time. dont give up the dream - just listen to them

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26 View Post
    I am a parent with a child in college - he has the same desire. but listen to your folks. look around these forums and other like websites - there are paid jobs, but they are extremely competitive; and where there are - some are undergoing layoffs and cutbacks.

they only want the best for you - and there are ways to have a rewarding career and be a firefighter at the same time. dont give up the dream - just listen to them
    I am a parent with a child in college as well, but I'm not going to tell him what he should major in or what he should pursue as a career. It so happens that he is not interested in a career in the field of emergency services like his dad...and that's OK by me. I want him to have a career that he finds personal satisfaction in, and one where he doesn't hate getting up to go to work in the morning.

I can understand his parents' concern. If you've never been exposed to the fire service, it can be hard to fathom why someone would choose a career with so little potential for monetary reward (not to mention a degree of personal risk). They want their kid to have a better life than they had, and that's natural. But he's tried their way and can see it's something he doesn't want to do with his life.

My son can say the same about the fire service...he briefly joined my volunteer department because I asked him to give it a try, but it didn't take too long for him to realize it just wasn't something he wanted to do. I'm OK with that. What good would it do for me to pressure him into sticking it out?

I think most people would be a lot better off if they chose a career based on what gives them satisfaction instead of what makes the most money...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Ya, I've tried their way it's just not working for me. I'm really close to getting out of school and going to the fire academy, just a few blocks in the road. It sucks tho because my parents said I can't live with them until the summer if I do this. I'm in a pickle.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was in a situation like yours, the main difference being i had my parents support, but the route i took was a getting a bachelors degree from the college i went to, and getting fire certs at the same time. make sure the fire classes you take earn you credit towards a fire related degree, then see what general classes from the college can be transferred to the fire school. If it all works out you will end up with a bachelors in what ever you chose (which will help with promotions if you get hired) and an associates in a fire related area in only 1-1.5 more years of school.

FF-EMT

Quote Originally Posted by Berger1 View Post
    Ya, I've tried their way it's just not working for me. I'm really close to getting out of school and going to the fire academy, just a few blocks in the road. It sucks tho because my parents said I can't live with them until the summer if I do this. I'm in a pickle.
    I don't envy your situation but I can empathize with you. I am a fifty year old volunteer firefighter-emt who wishes he had the backbone to follow his dream when he was younger. You have make a decision as to what is more important to you: pleasing your parents or following your dreams. You might consider entering the military and getting firefighting training or start taking hiring tests and if you get hired somewhere bail on school and go back. I guess what I am trying to say is that you haveother options just sit and look for them. I worked for over twenty years to finish my bachelors degree and have the degree on my wall displayed proudly, education is NEVER A WASTE! I would make one final comment. Your parents love you and want you to be happy, keep talking to them and expressing how you feel, but don't back down and be sure of what you want.

Ok, I lied, I have one more comment, try volunteering somewhere to get your feet wet and actually show both you and your parents that you like what you want to do!
    Last edited by Mzanghetti; 10-03-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

FF-EMT

Default Update/

Quote Originally Posted by Berger1 View Post
    Hello all...

I am an 18 year old student at a liberal arts college, who has always had the thought of becoming a firefighter/EMS for a career. My parents on the other hand, are really leary on me becoming a firefighter. So I went to school to please them, and to test it out. Well, simply put, I hate it here.

Now I'm coming to you guys for advice, please no bashing on me. I'm on the brink of quitting after the semester and then proceed to enroll in the fire training academy at my local Comm. College, then I would take EMS classes. Do you guys advise this? Is it still possible to get jobs in these fields? I truly am just miserable here at school, it's just not my gig, and I have tried it out for awhile now. It's not like I've decided this on the first week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    How are things going? Have any news/questions??
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mzanghetti View Post
    How are things going? Have any news/questions??
    Thanks for asking! I appreciate it. As for the parents situation, nothing has changed. They are still stubborn as all hell, and are giving me the cold shoulder. I did find a local fire house though that is letting me do as many ride alongs as I want, and all the guys are being real cool. The chief is doing all he can do to get me into classes and courses, and I'm taking a few certs that can be helpful, such as CPR, and NIMS. I'm really liking it there, and am just hoping my parents will change their attitude sooner than later.

Thanks again.

Forum Member

hey you have to do what you wanna do...its your life not your parents life..so the decisions that you make will affect your life not theirs, so in other words do what makes you happy. Check out eastern kentucky university... www.eku.edu . Its a great program with lots of chances to get you feet wet with internships in fire departments and various other types of internships offered through the university.

Thread Information