Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile The Perfect Command Car and cabinet

Allright, I need chiefs input. What do you want in a command cabinet mounted in the back of an SUV, and what do you want for equipment in your command car?

Have you been on scene and wanted something you didn't have? what was it?

what items do you use all the time on your existing command cabinet?

What kind of compartments do you want in your cabinet?

what innovations would you like to see?

think about everything, from microphone placement, to writing utensils, to maps, etc... what do existing cabinets lack?

Also,

how often do you use the passenger seats in your command SUV?

Let me know all your ideas!
    Patrick - Former Fire fighter.
    WIRED HDH

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Recelect View Post
    Have you been on scene and wanted something you didn't have? what was it?

!
    Yeah...a command car....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Check out Odyssey Automotive for ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Think about simplicity and durability. I have tried several different options and the best option I came up with homemade and then sprayed with the Rhino-Liner. I was able to custom fabricate each opening to meet my needs and obtain something that was durable and weather-proof.

I used 5/8" marine-grade plywood and glued/screwed all joints. I am on my second staff vehicle and my "box" transfered over very nicely. Here is a brief list of my "office"...
    -Maps
    -Emergency Operations Plans
    -SOG's
    -Forms
    -Spare Radio/Charger/Battery
    -AED
    -Med Bag
    -Hydrant Wrench
    -Battery Jump Pack
    -Tool Box
    -Dry-Erase Board
    -Stop Watches
    -SCBA
    -6 Traffic Cones
    -Extra Paper/Pens/Pencils
    -Camera
    -4-Gas Meter
    -Tape Measure
    -Hi-Vis Spray Paint

Alot of gear to haul around, but I use it all and alot of the gear I added after past experience!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
    Think about simplicity and durability. I have tried several different options and the best option I came up with homemade and then sprayed with the Rhino-Liner. I was able to custom fabricate each opening to meet my needs and obtain something that was durable and weather-proof.

I used 5/8" marine-grade plywood and glued/screwed all joints. I am on my second staff vehicle and my "box" transfered over very nicely. Here is a brief list of my "office"...
    -Maps
    -Emergency Operations Plans
    -SOG's
    -Forms
    -Spare Radio/Charger/Battery
    -AED
    -Med Bag
    -Hydrant Wrench
    -Battery Jump Pack
    -Tool Box
    -Dry-Erase Board
    -Stop Watches
    -SCBA
    -6 Traffic Cones
    -Extra Paper/Pens/Pencils
    -Camera
    -4-Gas Meter
    -Tape Measure
    -Hi-Vis Spray Paint

Alot of gear to haul around, but I use it all and alot of the gear I added after past experience!
    Thanks Frosty, This is the type or response I am looking for. I am asking because I am planning on designing a custom cabinet through my business. I know about odyssey cabinets, but I am not going to steal their ideas.

Do people like the wood cabinets? Or would you like aluminum more?

what do you like as a command vehicle? Suburban, Tahoe, expedition, Escape? 1/2 ton truck? 3/4 ton truck? Gas, Diesel, Hybrid? 4x4, 2x4?

It seems cheifs in my area like Tahoe sized vehicles for agility and comfort, but chiefs 30 minutes south like 3/4 ton diesel trucks.

What about a Command body for a 1/2 ton truck? I m not sure what this would intail yet, but it would give you use around 3 sides of the vehicle. It would not be a walkthrough or anything, just basically a box designed to look oem but serve the pupose as a very big command cabinet...

How come nobody uses vans? (at least in my area)
    Patrick - Former Fire fighter.
    WIRED HDH

MembersZone Subscriber

I am issued a 1/2 ton crew cab truck (2008 ford) that has a truck cap with windows that open on each side. My previous ride was a 3/4 ton, which I did not like because of the rough ride and the fuel consumption. This vehicle is assigned to me as a take-home vehicle and I needed something that would fit in the garage.

As for the cabinet, metal would be great, but the cost and the time to customize it to meet my needs was not worth it. The wood works great and once covered with the spray liner, It is tough as nails (although extremely heavy). I built the cabinet so that it is supported by the truck on each side at the fender wells. By using the sides and the space above, I was able to leave the main part of the truck bed open so that you can still haul stuff around if needed. I currently have a canopy set that we are trying out in the back. The canopy set is used for cover at the command post if needed during bad weather.

The use of vans has gone away in my area also due to the limitations that come with a van such as no 4x4, top heavy once you have it loaded up, typically can only seat two and the life span of vans seam to be extremely short when used for emergency oeprations.

Forum Member

My preference is a full-size SUV with a cabinet that works from the rear liftgate; equipped with a Bumperchute when it's raining or snowing sideways to protect from the elements.

Truck vault makes a very durable and functional command console. The cabinet doesn't rattle while driving, and doesn't weigh six tons. We've had two in service for 4 years now with no problems.

C6
    Last edited by Command6; 09-26-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Thread Information