MembersZone Subscriber

So you still have the FD dispatch, and have a dedicated FD communication between your own guys and your own dispatch.

The problem is that nobody on the FD side has the opportunity to talk to the actual 911 caller anymore?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    So you still have the FD dispatch, and have a dedicated FD communication between your own guys and your own dispatch.

The problem is that nobody on the FD side has the opportunity to talk to the actual 911 caller anymore?
    As I stated in an earlier post...there are many inter-related issues here that all are at work and all progressing at different rates of completion or implementation.

Our dispatchers are being moved from the de-centralized Central offices in each Borough (was a strong feature in a post 9-11-01 world) to one location (and a proposed back up that isn't constructed as of yet.) Violating a number wise decisions taken a century ago to ensure fire alarm communications wouldn't be interupted (then by massive conflagarations, today by Islamic dirt bags with bombs)

The FD call takers only speak to the caller if they say the magic words..."I'm Trapped". Everything else is filtered through the poorly trained PD call takers who are focused on gathering information for Police matters. The stuff that is taken verbatim from the call taker and put on our tickets as I said is borderline laughable if lives weren't depending on its veracity and thoroughness.

Basicly what we have now embodies the old axiom, "Garbage in...garbage out!"

But in an attempt to cover up for a poor managerial idea, they eliminated the time a call taker takes to gather the needed information amd then actually had the audacity to claim YoY improvements in response times. (most of which was gained by eliminating the need to account for call taking times and a bit from sending out some alarms with insufficent and often inacurate information, endangering every person in the city)

You couldn't write a movie script this crazy...no one would beleive it.

FTM-PTB

PS- For example...Fire alarm disp get somewhere in the neighborhood of 160+ hours in training for call taking and information gathering specific to the needs of the FDNY.

The PD call takers got maybe 6 hours! Anyone else see a problem here?
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-21-2009 at 12:41 PM.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

everyday there are problems....info is not passed right....units to wrong addresses in different boros...no more dispatch giving a heads up on a job....in a few years there will be no more FIRE dispatches....it will be the cities loss and the BROTHERS WILL SUFFER...again
    GOD SAVE THE FDNY
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 09-22-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    everyday there are problems....info is not passed right....units to wrong addresses in different boros...no more dispatch giving a heads up on a jobs....in a few years there will be no more FIRE dispatches....it will be the cities loss and the BROTHERS WILL SUFFER...again
    GOD SAVE THE FDNY
    They will probably find a way to outsource it to India.

"Welcome to Dell...er I mean 911 dispatch..."
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    We didn't loose our dispatchers (yet). And yes it is turning into a Mickey Mouse Operation thanks to bureaucrats and spineless management.

They just don't speak to the caller unless they say the key words (I'm trapped" or something to that effect). So we lost the call taker positions on our dispatch side.

So the Fire alarm dispatchers (FADs) who are trained to gleen the information we need to properly respond and size up whatever the situation might be...don't speak to the callers. We must rely on the barely litterate PD call takers who type whatever they type and then our DD (Decision dispatcher) who decides how that run fits into the response matrix is now running blind with little more than a guess in many cases as to what response (Single engine, single ladder, full box...etc.) is appropriate.

And because they don't want to have to answer for what everyone knew (even the mayors office) would happen to response times when the PD call takers who aren't as skilled or trained in our needs would bungle the call taking process...they just removed that aspect from the calculations of response times (which already are very subjective and manipulated using very flexible criteria, such as throwing out data for whatever days of the year had inclimate weather...etc). So as to not only avoid showing an increase in response times due to their mismanagement...but actually show a year over year improvement! Only in NY.

Needless to say if a S&P500 company attempted to claim such improvements in sales, or revenue YoY using such parlor tricks every analyist and brokerage would expose them for fraudulent reporting. Politicians just look the otherway.

They are in the process of moving them into one central location in the middle of Downtown Brooklyn in lieu of the smarter option of de-centralized locations in each boro in the middle of city parks where there are no other exposures or hazards. We've ignored the lessons of 9-11-01 and the OEM command center in WTC 7 and doubled down on stupidity of placing all our assets in less secure and less numerous locations!

A consolidated dispatch isn't what we need...we need our dispatchers who are dedicated to our needs and our operations. Our system and platform is vastly different from that of the PD(prioritizes jobs) or even EMS(divies them up based on assumed seriousness)

And they should show the citizens and city council what the times would have been counting the call taking portion as part of the response time as had been done for decades.

FTM-PTB
    I can understand your frustration, but the problem seems to be more of untrained people taking the calls rather than something the FDNY can do something about. Most if not all major career depts here work under the single dispatch system, but the dispatch does have the option of switching the call direct to LE, FD, or EMS dispatch. They do it quite a lot more with police than with either of the others. The FD dispatch is not really dispatch but is called Fire Central and is the internal FD comms system. Its manned always 24x7 by trained FF and they know exactly what to ask. Its really not used that much because 9-11 ops are not allowed to operate unsupervised until after 9 months of combined training and supervision. They do a heck of a job and don't really receive the recognition they deserve. As far as 6 Hrs training, the work experience kids who come into the stations from high school receive 12 hrs before they are allowed on the floor.
    Its sad to see that political wonks can screw thingsup so bad for basically no realistic purpose.

Banned

That "piece of paper" prints in about 5-8 seconds and is recieved simultaneous with the alarm in the firehouse.

Apparently you don't understand what I just wrote. The time they are telling you is now shorter is because they don't count the time it takes to gather the information from the caller...they haven't improved anything...they simply omited part of what was formerly counted among the response times. Understand?

A. We know any the time it takes us to arrive has actually remained the same and actually increased in many cases due to poor quality call takers not obtaining the info we need...thus necessitating the constant barage of 10-7's.

That time hasn't improved one bit, it is only using amature parlor tricks they can claim such gains. 13 seconds gain, comes at a price...and that price is critical CIDS info, correct and confirmed addresses and numerous unnecessary responses by companies responding to incorrect boxes when multiple calls are recieved.

B. They aren't customers, a customer is an ends to a means of making a profit (nothing wrong with that in the private sector) They are taxpayers, civilians and occasionaly victims.

The quality has decreased and the bureaucrats rely on simpletons like you to believe their smoke and mirrors
    Scenario one. Call comes in, dispatch gather info, then send s FD.
    Scenario two. Call comes in, send FD, then gather info.

Remember, the response time isn't what you think it is, it is what your customer thinks it is. And like it or not, the people you server are your customers. Call them tax payers, call them customers. They are the people who consume the service you provide.

The point is. The person who calls (Tax payer, customer, visitor) measures response time in how long it take you to get there from the time they dial 911. That is the true measure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Sorry I didn't realise you had lost your FD dispatch and it is now in PD hands. Sounds like a Mickey Mouse way to do things. As I explained above, most of the cities here use a central 9-11 dispatch. There are no boxes here and alarms are routed through the respective alarm cos. A 9-11 dispatcher is pretty decently paid and regarded. It starts at about $41,000 with shift differential and OT after 40 hrs/week. I rather doubt that your Mayor or Council would be interested in how some little Canadian city does things, but I think possibly there are a lot of US cities operating in a similar fashion. Good luck in your fight, I think you'll need it and more.
    I would say it is the right way to do things. A central dispatch center that dispatches all emergency services is optimal. This way, a call comes in. The central dispatch (if properly trained) determines which emergency services are needed and then sends them while continuing to get information.

Forum Member

a centralized comms center sounds like a good thing, until something happens to that building or the people inside of it. Then you have zero comms centers.

sounds like your call taking system is pretty screwed up.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I would say it is the right way to do things. A central dispatch center that dispatches all emergency services is optimal. This way, a call comes in. The central dispatch (if properly trained) determines which emergency services are needed and then sends them while continuing to get information.
    I continue to be amazed at how much of an expert you are on every topic.

Wow, amazing.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

Wow, amazing.
    What do you expect? There is a central dispatch for the pizza delivery service he works for, so why wouldnt it work for emergency services? They get em there in 30 minutes every time!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Scenario one. Call comes in, dispatch gather info, then send s FD.
    Scenario two. Call comes in, send FD, then gather info.

Remember, the response time isn't what you think it is, it is what your customer thinks it is. And like it or not, the people you server are your customers. Call them tax payers, call them customers. They are the people who consume the service you provide.

The point is. The person who calls (Tax payer, customer, visitor) measures response time in how long it take you to get there from the time they dial 911. That is the true measure.
    And the time that the civilian is waiting for a Fire engine is the same if not longer....so what is your point.

You senarios have no relevance to our discussion. Neither represent reality on how it did work...or how it works today here.

FTM-PTB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    a centralized comms center sounds like a good thing, until something happens to that building or the people inside of it. Then you have zero comms centers.

This is true, that is why we have an agreement with neighboring counties should something happen. There is a disaster plan in place that covers contingency operations. Obviously, in a city the size of NY there would be multiple 911 call centers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

Wow, amazing.
    Not every topic, but this is simple. The overall goal is to improve response times. Response times are what the customer (or tax payer, or people we serve) perceive. What we perceive as a good response time is irrelevant.

Banned

And the time that the civilian is waiting for a Fire engine is the same if not longer....so what is your point.

You senarios have no relevance to our discussion. Neither represent reality on how it did work...or how it works today here.

FTM-PTB
    I would highly doubt that, The sooner you get the apparatus, rigs, or someone enroute the shorter the wait and the quicker the response. I have been first on scene a couple of times, there is relief from the homeowner or victim as soon as someone shows up. Doesn't mean the fire goes out any faster, but the homeowner knows help is on the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not every topic, but this is simple. The overall goal is to improve response times. Response times are what the customer (or tax payer, or people we serve) perceive. What we perceive as a good response time is irrelevant.
    You really need to go back and read the previous posts. This has very little to do with improving the Call-to-Arrival times. As was stated previously, if anything those have gotten longer.

This has everything to do with City management changing how things are calculated so they can proclaim an improvement to the press. If you're not the 1% of the population that uses 911 you're going to read that and think there has been an improvement of services.

From reading the previous posts, it sounds like the reality is much different. Information that is vital to the __FIRE__ companies is not being collected because the personnel who are talking to the caller are not trained on how to grok that information. Instead they have all-in-one call takers who are more focused on the PD side of things.

To summarize:
    Call-to-Arrival time stays the same, or gets worse
    Quality of Information from caller gets worse, ergo
    Quality of service provided by the FD gets worse, ergo
    Safety of Firefighters and citizens is in jeapordy
    "Response Time", as defined in the press, gets better.

Nobody wins except the city management.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post

You're right on this, but in truthfulness, its just not something that we consider up here to much of a degree. It may be wrong, shortsighted or whatever, but its what we have and what we have decided to refine so it works as well as it can. So far, we've suceeded or maybe just lucky. If Edmonton or Calgary or Red Deer or Saskatoon happen to be in somebodies sites for a terrorist attack, well you can say you told us so.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would highly doubt that, The sooner you get the apparatus, rigs, or someone enroute the shorter the wait and the quicker the response. I have been first on scene a couple of times, there is relief from the homeowner or victim as soon as someone shows up. Doesn't mean the fire goes out any faster, but the homeowner knows help is on the way.
    Are you dense? They are sending out boxes without confirming addresses for structural runs (building fires) thus you get what has happended countless times so far...companies showing up and finding nothing and while they are waiting for a 10-7...another box goes out for another address (usually similar numbers or names) and the companies show up there to find a fire...as happened on St. Johns in Brooklyn and has happened many times in queens due to the nature of the addressing system.

It only takes seconds to confirm the address....but when the caller or the call taker doesn't communicate the address correctly...it results in minutes long delays. (like 112 3rd Ave, vs. 112th Street and 3rd Ave, world of difference.)

Whereas the fire dispatchers formerly took a few seconds to confirm the address and where the caller was from...now we get tickets to respond to building fires where the caller is 20 blocks away and sees the smoke and calls it in but PD sends a ticket for a fire at their location. So more rigs on the road responding to nonsense.

And then for the remainder of the runs, they stopped counting the time it takes the PD operator to get the information (and then when we get to the box and the info provided doesn't help us locate the caller...we must wait again to get more info on a call back that then usually directs us to the correct apt. in many cases a different building or block)

We had one run where no one in the building knew about anyone calling for a fire...turns out it was a 3rd party call from out of state (about 1000 miles from here!) that the PD put through!

Delays, misdirections, manipulated stats. All result in poor service delievery to your "customers".

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 09-22-2009 at 09:47 AM.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

sooner??? if the address is wrong whats the point? say the address is 10 broadway---??? queens, brooklyn, staten island, manhattan oh wait we seen to all...there are big time problems not easily fixed
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Back In Black

You're doing great. Keep going.

Amazing.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Are you dense?

This is a rhetorical question, right?

Banned

Are you dense? They are sending out boxes without confirming addresses for structural runs (building fires) thus you get what has happended countless times so far...companies showing up and finding nothing and while they are waiting for a 10-7...another box goes out for another address (usually similar numbers or names) and the companies show up there to find a fire...as happened on St. Johns in Brooklyn and has happened many times in queens due to the nature of the addressing system.

It only takes seconds to confirm the address....but when the caller or the call taker doesn't communicate the address correctly...it results in minutes long delays. (like 112 3rd Ave, vs. 112th Street and 3rd Ave, world of difference.)

Whereas the fire dispatchers formerly took a few seconds to confirm the address and where the caller was from...now we get tickets to respond to building fires where the caller is 20 blocks away and sees the smoke and calls it in but PD sends a ticket for a fire at their location. So more rigs on the road responding to nonsense.

And then for the remainder of the runs, they stopped counting the time it takes the PD operator to get the information (and then when we get to the box and the info provided doesn't help us locate the caller...we must wait again to get more info on a call back that then usually directs us to the correct apt. in many cases a different building or block)

We had one run where no one in the building knew about anyone calling for a fire...turns out it was a 3rd party call from out of state (about 1000 miles from here!) that the PD put through!

Delays, misdirections, manipulated stats. All result in poor service delievery to your "customers".

FTM-PTB
    Sounds like two issues here. First there seems to be a problem in the dispatch center if they aren't confirming the address. We have been sent out and have had to get clarification. The sooner you are on the road the better. Sounds like your dispatch center isn't following up and getting all of the information. There is nothing wrong with being on the road and getting additional or more information.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    sooner??? if the address is wrong whats the point? say the address is 10 broadway---??? queens, brooklyn, staten island, manhattan oh wait we seen to all...there are big time problems not easily fixed
    If you are responding you should be smart enough to ask for a clarification of where you are going. We have two intersection in our town where the two roads intersect in two different places. We also have a situation where someone put in a private road that has the same name as a town road. We also have a bay with campsites on both sides of the bay. Both with the same name.

But if your dispatch is getting the wrong address then that is a training issue for dispatch.

Back In Black

If you are responding you should be smart enough to ask for a clarification of where you are going. We have two intersection in our town where the two roads intersect in two different places. We also have a situation where someone put in a private road that has the same name as a town road. We also have a bay with campsites on both sides of the bay. Both with the same name.

But if your dispatch is getting the wrong address then that is a training issue for dispatch.
    I love that you are comparing Hooterville, NY to NYC.

Another sterling example of your expert analysis.

Way to go!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are responding you should be smart enough....
    And this is where you should have followed your own advice and stopped.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Sounds like two issues here. First there seems to be a problem in the dispatch center if they aren't confirming the address. We have been sent out and have had to get clarification. The sooner you are on the road the better. Sounds like your dispatch center isn't following up and getting all of the information. There is nothing wrong with being on the road and getting additional or more information.
    There is if you are being sent to the wrong place and the correct location isn't in that same direction or isn't even in your response area.

Thread Information