Thread: Closeout tab

Forum Member

Default Closeout tab

Is there any way we could get FEMA to put the Closeout option on the grant sooner than they do?

We purchased our items within 90 days of getting our grant last year and we still don't have a drop down.

Seems like they would get grants closed quicker if they did not wait until a year after the grant was awarded.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by southerngirl62 View Post
    Is there any way we could get FEMA to put the Closeout option on the grant sooner than they do?

We purchased our items within 90 days of getting our grant last year and we still don't have a drop down.

Seems like they would get grants closed quicker if they did not wait until a year after the grant was awarded.
    The drop down for the close out will occur about 1 month prior to the end of your POP.

Trying to get it sooner will not happen. I have tried with our current grant. The POP ends in Dec., but we have been done since April. I emailed them a couple of weeks ago to open up the close out; denied. This was their response:

Unfortunately, the closeout link will not become available until the end of your period of Performance. The reason is so you will have time to
    monitor the impact the award has upon your department and operations,
    and explain to us the impact in your closeout report.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As if they haven't noticed that most of the closeouts are the app narratives just updated from "will help" to "has helped"...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    As if they haven't noticed that most of the closeouts are the app narratives just updated from "will help" to "has helped"...
    So are you saying that the easiest way to do your closeout narrative is to copy and paste your original narrative and correct some areas to show the end benefit?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Unless you weren't sure what the outcome would be, or lied about it, why wouldn't the Operational Outcome section updated to present tense be any different?

Of course they like to hear a war story every now and again to break the monotony of reading closeout, but also to prove how well the project worked on a real scene instead of theory. But if the department doesn't run many calls then there might not be one between delivery and closeout.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just doing the easiest thing may not give an accurate representation of the real Operational Outcomes. Most of ours have been better than expected, though we didn't normally know that until well after close-out was complete. If we can show DHS a better than expected outcome, we can also show it to our Congressional Reps--and better justify funding.

My two cents.
    earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That tends to be the case, since calls are never scheduled. One might go months before the new truck is used on a first-in call. Might be years before a RIT rescue is needed and the new SCBA and RIT pack are put into service.

That's one of the things the opponents of the grant are screaming about is that there is no proof of immediate improvement because they don't understand the concept of "risk". We can't prove it either, all we know is that we're better prepared, and if nothing has happened where we can use what we were awarded all we can claim is being better prepared. Especially the rural folks with few calls. If something has happened by all means it should be in there, but 90% of the closeouts I've assisted with the goods haven't been there long enough to be put into use because of some odd dry spell in calls. Others put the stuff to good use within 24 hours of opening the boxes. Just the way things go when you're spinning around on the 3rd rock from the sun.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    That tends to be the case, since calls are never scheduled. One might go months before the new truck is used on a first-in call. Might be years before a RIT rescue is needed and the new SCBA and RIT pack are put into service.

That's one of the things the opponents of the grant are screaming about is that there is no proof of immediate improvement because they don't understand the concept of "risk". We can't prove it either, all we know is that we're better prepared, and if nothing has happened where we can use what we were awarded all we can claim is being better prepared. Especially the rural folks with few calls. If something has happened by all means it should be in there, but 90% of the closeouts I've assisted with the goods haven't been there long enough to be put into use because of some odd dry spell in calls. Others put the stuff to good use within 24 hours of opening the boxes. Just the way things go when you're spinning around on the 3rd rock from the sun.
    It worked out nice on our first truck. The guy delivered it and went with my assistant cheif to top off the gas. It hadn't been in town for more than a couple hours. On their way back, we were toned for a fire. We filled it with water while the other trucks started on the way and then responded as a tanker. The week before I was able to close it out we ran 5 more calls. I won't swear it's run that many this year, so it was a bit of an anomoly. But, it helped my closeout sound good!

Forum Member

I have a question about closeout. Can you advise how AFG looks at the closeout? Is it primarily a computer that throws out a difference from the original application or is it more of a hands on review by personnel? If there is something that does pop up, does it normally lead to a phone audit or visit? Closing out 150 items in detail, some with varying sizes and increased pricing different from the original application causes me a little concern for the application. (In some ways I do hope for an audit so there will be no mistakes to affect future applications.) Anyway back to my original questions.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you got fittings and stuff like that make packages out of them like we do for the requests themselves. Smaller description of the items like "hose fittings, Male-Female, multiple sizes - $$$$" etc, etc.

If they want details they'll ask for the copy of the invoice. They don't want to read that much online just like you don't want to enter that much stuff either. Especially if it's all under $5000.

Thread Information