Forum Member

Default Channellock Rescue Tools

Hey guys,
    Looking for input positive or negative people may have on the 2 channellock rescue tools. After doing some thinking it sounds pretty beneficial to have a pair of cable cutters in bunker simply because you can cut quite a few things with them if needed. Now it comes down to if I want to spend the extra money for the channellock rescue tool or just buy cable cutters. I have a res Q wreck but they are just bulky and plastic. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ride together, Die together, Brotherhood forever

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I own the original with the linesman pliers head and it works just fine. I can cut battery cables with it.

Back In Black

I carry linesman's pliers. Everything else is on a toolbox on the apparatus.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I carry linesman's pliers. Everything else is on a toolbox on the apparatus.
    This isn't much bigger or heavier than a simple linesman's pliers. While having a spanner wrench, pry bar, gas shut off, and a window punch.

Forum Member

They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

They are similar in both size and weight. And the handle designs on each are identical. The biggest issue is which type of tool head.

Linesman pliers have a head with tremendous cutting power because of the design. The cutting edges are also hardened. Aside from being able to cut any size wire you can fit in it's jaws, they will also cut screws, bolts and solid wire like that used in fencing and landscaping supports and even lightweight chain. The only real limit to what they can cut is how strong you are. Even on cables that will not readily fit in the jaws, you can "chew" through larger cables making multiple cuts. They also have the ability to loosen or tighten various size nuts and bolts and to grip and bend sheet metal. The size and weight of the head will work as a hammer if need be.

As for the cable cutters, they will cut copper or aluminum cable and steel wire in the higher gauge sizes. But they use a different blade design that will not tolerate cutting steel screws and bolts well. The large blade design allows you to cut large diamater electric cables, but outside of that, this type of cutter will not offer you that much on the fireground.

I can cut 00 Welding cable with my Linesmans pliers. I cannot imagine having to cut anything larger at an accident scene where getting larger cables cutters off the truck is not possible. I have yet to see a automobile that had battery cables too large for linesmans pliers to cut.

With that in mind, my vote is for linesmans pliers. Far more useful.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a set of the linesman pliers and they are a handy tool to have. The only thing I do not like about them is the punch point on the same end as the spanner. The point always got stuck in the pockets and it was difficult to remove. I actually took it to the grinder and solved that problem rather quickly. LOL!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodromeo View Post
    I have a set of the linesman pliers and they are a handy tool to have. The only thing I do not like about them is the punch point on the same end as the spanner. The point always got stuck in the pockets and it was difficult to remove. I actually took it to the grinder and solved that problem rather quickly. LOL!!
    I fixed the punch point problem by sliding a short piece of O2 tubing over it. It is still available if I need it, but no longer a tear hazard for my pockets.

Thread Information