Thread: Rescue Me Rigs

Forum Member

Default Rescue Me Rigs

Hey guys.

Just wondered what you think about the rigs used in Rescue Me? I'm not a big fan of the E-One and the Pierce of Ladder 62 and that ladder rig they had at the S.I. house Tommy went to. I was thinking they'd try to be more accurate; that 2001 Seagrave 100' they used in 2005 was perfect for the job. That's just my two cents on this and I'd like to hear your views on this.

Forum Member

Rescue Me is not meant to be a documentery and is a show that is 100% fiction. To add, the shows main story is about the personal lives of the firefighters, not their actual work.

With that in mind, technical accuracy is really not that critical. I honestly do not think the Producers are worried about the correctness of an E-One vs a Seagrave. I am fairly certain 3/4 of the audience does not even know what is and what is not technically accurate nor do they care. The characters are why most people watch.

Just my 2c.

MembersZone Subscriber

As stated, the show is about the personal lives and problems of the characters. It is not a documentary. I've heard that they used the E-one in order to get better shots inside the cab. They also removed the nose pieces on the SCBA in ladder 49. That didn't make it any worse of a movie.

Bottom line is that many technical details have to be changed in order to make good TV or movies. Crawling down a smoky hallway is hard to film, and running medical after medical with a false alarm thrown in now and then doesn't make good TV either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Rescue Me is not meant to be a documentery and is a show that is 100% fiction. To add, the shows main story is about the personal lives of the firefighters, not their actual work.

With that in mind, technical accuracy is really not that critical. I honestly do not think the Producers are worried about the correctness of an E-One vs a Seagrave. I am fairly certain 3/4 of the audience does not even know what is and what is not technically accurate nor do they care. The characters are why most people watch.

Just my 2c.
    You're right WD - I'm too critical sometimes. But, besides all of that, the Pierce did look damn sweet in F.D.N.Y. colours!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    They also removed the nose pieces on the SCBA in ladder 49. That didn't make it any worse of a movie.

Bottom line is that many technical details have to be changed in order to make good TV or movies. Crawling down a smoky hallway is hard to film, and running medical after medical with a false alarm thrown in now and then doesn't make good TV either.

Agreed and all excellent points. I loved Backdraft for entertainment value, but as far as being realistic, it left much to be desired. But it was made to entertain the masses, not just firefighters alone. I am sure we could all nitpick that movie all day.

Forum Member

In addition I would love to be able to respond in PPE with the liners that have obviously been removed for the Actors ease. If the liners have indeed not been removed, I would love, love to know compliant gear it is.

Forum Member

It is just another TV show made from some hollywood pipe dream and they used stock apparatus from their own supply yards, painted to look like the department that the show is taken place.

NOT real fire apparatus or Companies in or of the FDNY!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information