Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

re: 6.0 powerstroke

I've never had a Dodge Cummins but several ford powerstroke trucks and I'll tell you what is the sturdiest engine I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by cambertoes

I've never had a Dodge Cummins but several ford powerstroke trucks and I'll tell you what is the sturdiest engine I have ever seen.
    If you are hailing the 6.0 Powerstroke, YOU, are an idiot!!!!

(no apologies, forthcoming)

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

I'm not sure why I tempt fate, but we have a 6.0L in an F-550, and its been pretty good. We have far more problems with the back half of the rig than the front.

Then again, the two 7.3L Powerstrokes we own have been bullet proof. The 6.0L goes like hell though...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

I do hope you knocked on your desk, when you posted that. LOL

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool My '04

Usual problems with the 6.0 engine (particular to 03) injectors and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM)
    These are the issues we had with our '04 Power Stroke. Took it to the Dealership we bought it from (3) times for injectors and on the 4th time they replaced all the injectors plus the FICM.

When I was there I talked to a Ford Mechanic and asked them if Ford realized they had a problem... His mouth said "no" but he shook his head yes. He explained that all the trucks there were for injectors and similar issues. It was is a huge Dealership.

I wish the salesman knew about the diesels and told me they went to the new motor within the last few years, I would have waited another couple of years until the "bugs were worked out" and put down a larger down payment.

I'm a HUGE Ford Guy..... But I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed with the problems that Ford's having with this engine.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by cambertoes View Post

If you are comparing ANY of the Powerstrokes to the dodge with the Cummins,don't bother. I'm a Ford guy and if you want to make a PERFECT light truck(P/U) put the Cummins in it. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    These are the issues we had with our '04 Power Stroke. Took it to the Dealership we bought it from (3) times for injectors and on the 4th time they replaced all the injectors plus the FICM.

When I was there I talked to a Ford Mechanic and asked them if Ford realized they had a problem... His mouth said "no" but he shook his head yes. He explained that all the trucks there were for injectors and similar issues. It was is a huge Dealership.

I wish the salesman knew about the diesels and told me they went to the new motor within the last few years, I would have waited another couple of years until the "bugs were worked out" and put down a larger down payment.

I'm a HUGE Ford Guy..... But I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed with the problems that Ford's having with this engine.
    Turbo problems,controller problems,Head gaskets,injector seals. Take your pick. NOT one of Fords BETTER ideas. Jury's out on the new one,I think I'll wait a year or two. The 6.0's CAN be made fairly reliable IF: You find a KNOWLEDGABLE Ford diesel tech AND the uses the latest issue of parts. PERIOD. Just about all the 6.0 stuff has been reengineered at least twice. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    If you are comparing ANY of the Powerstrokes to the dodge with the Cummins,don't bother. I'm a Ford guy and if you want to make a PERFECT light truck(P/U) put the Cummins in it. T.C.
    There's this outfit in Montana....

Not sure if anybody knows this or not, but anybody with the "first" version of the new 6.7 L Power Stroke V8 can have it taken to the dealer for a "flash" reprogram that will gain 10HP and 35 lb-ft. This puts it up to 400HP and 800 lb-ft of torque.

Obviously Ford wanted bragging rights after the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD showed up with the Duramax 6.6-liter making 397 hp and 765 lb-ft of torque.

Question is how far they can push this new motor, and keep the reliability in it. Time will tell.

FM1

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Not sure if anybody knows this or not, but anybody with the "first" version of the new 6.7 L Power Stroke V8 can have it taken to the dealer for a "flash" reprogram that will gain 10HP and 35 lb-ft. This puts it up to 400HP and 800 lb-ft of torque.

Obviously Ford wanted bragging rights after the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD showed up with the Duramax 6.6-liter making 397 hp and 765 lb-ft of torque.

Question is how far they can push this new motor, and keep the reliability in it. Time will tell.

FM1
    Dunno,but we have some Lobster boats with 3208 Cats in them putting over 1000 horse to the shaft so you tell me how far they can push the 6.7. Put it in the Lobsterboats and we see how it does. T.C.

Talking

What most people fail to realize is that you hear of more problems with the Ford engines than any other becuase there are more out there. I would bet a paycheck that there are more Ford F-series and E-series vehicles on the roads as emergency service vehicles than Dodge and Chevy combined.

People are still complaining about the early 6.0 engines. Most forget these engines are now almost 8 years old. We have some brush trucks with the 6.0s that have had some issues, but most were due to lack of use, not overuse. If you crank a diesel in the morning for truck check off and thats it, you are going to have problems. We started driving the trucks in the mornings instead of letting them sit and the problems all but went away. And dont forget, for every bad engine there are 5 that are problem free. You just dont hear about those.

Chevy and Dodge arent perfect either. We have a Cummins service truck that runs horrible if it isnt ran every day. But it doesnt give much issue. And as far as GM building a heavy duty chassis for the 1 ton and up market, all I will say is I dont take anyone seriously who builds a 1 ton 4x4 truck with IFS.

There is a reason that nation wide you see more Ford trucks and chassis cabs in emergency services than anything else. And I dont expect that trend to change.

/Ford is awesome rant.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Default PowerStroke

re: powerstroke

Diesels are awesome you can put an intake and and exhaust with a programmer and you can beat the most vettes

Diesels are awesome you can put an intake and and exhaust with a programmer and you can beat the most vettes
    And a programmer does WHAT for reliability? Care to know? if you aren't REAL careful with them,it will be an EXPENSIVE lesson. And NOT the cost of the programmer. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by cambertoes

Are you really that clueless, or just that stupid.

There's a thing called "point of no return". Run that big Bully Dog chipset, and you will lose in the long run.

As for a diesel beating a 'vette, good luck, or prove it.

FM1

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Are you really that clueless, or just that stupid.

There's a thing called "point of no return". Run that big Bully Dog chipset, and you will lose in the long run.

As for a diesel beating a 'vette, good luck, or prove it.

FM1
    Oh,I've SEEN it! But it ain't cheap and involves PROPANE,along with a few other things. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cost Benefit Ratio

It's all about cost benefit ratio. If you want to go fast and don't care that the engine may only last 50,000 miles, install that Banks Turbo or Supercharger and CRANK up the horsepower. If you want it to last 200,000 miles, leave the engine management system alone and service the fluids as recommended.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    It's all about cost benefit ratio. If you want to go fast and don't care that the engine may only last 50,000 miles, install that Banks Turbo or Supercharger and CRANK up the horsepower. If you want it to last 200,000 miles, leave the engine management system alone and service the fluids as recommended.
    Just like Johnson & Towers used to crank unimaginable power from DD 6-71s and the rest of the two strokers. They were used in boats, commonly sold in counter rotating pairs. The customers were people who were only interested in going fast and couldn't care less about how often they had to replace the engines or for how much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

In California, the have a saying. "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go"

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    In California, the have a saying. "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go"
    Add to that: How long you want it to LAST? Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

We have 3 6.0's; the recall / update was suposed to take care of blowing the turbo hoses off, but did not on ours. Did more checking, found a defect with the turbo design (our term, not Ford's!). Apparently, the turbo has variable vanes in it, so the boost is more linear; what happens with ours is the vanes start to stick, and overpressure the boost system, blowing the hose off. We've changed hoses, changed clamps, had all 3 turbos replaced (at different times). We did change oil viscosities (not sure to what), and haven't had any more failures, but it hasn't been too long yet...... We have gotten extremely fast at replacing the hose on the way to a call, as we have spare clamps & the necessary ratchet & deep well socket in each glove box.

Thread Information