MembersZone Subscriber

Default Powerstroke 6.0 Issues

Hello,
    Are there other agencies out there with major issues with the 6.0 powerstoke engine?

Forum Member

You'll be lucky to find an agency that has'nt had issues with them. We have had ours in the shop numerous times and it needs to go back. Heads and turbo have been our major problems along with some small, petty stuff
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Not just agencies, but individuals. The 6.0 l. powerstroke has a horrible reputation, which is one of the reasons Ford and Navistar (maker of powerstroke) have had some "falling out". In fact, I remember reading an article (it was a while ago, so I might be alittle off on the story) about Ford suing Navistar for warrantee claims that were never paid by navistar on the 6.0 L which caused navistar to stop production of the new twin turbo Powerstroke. This in turn made Ford Sue again, which ultimately led to a judge ordering navistar to produce the engines. This is probably why Ford is coming up and coming out with there own Diesel in 2011. It is called the Scorpion. This is probably also why Navistar has an interest in the GM 4500 and 5500 chassis that they supposedly are buying. that is a ton of business lost when Ford pulls out, and I imagine they want something to suppliment its loss.

Call me crazy, but with the track record between ford and navistar, I would fear buying any ford diesel untill the new one comes out. Nothing like a company that is forced to do something they don't seem to want to do. kinda like the waiter who has to wait on the unbearable customer; hes just not going to do that good of a job, if you know what I mean...
    Patrick - Former Fire fighter.
    WIRED HDH

Forum Member

We have two 6.0L powerstroke 4X4 F350 trucks here one is an 03 the other is an 05. We havn't had a stich of eninge problems. However in the past 4 months I have put a complete front end under each one and I am having transmition problems with the 03. Keeping in mind the 03 we use as a plow truck in the winter.

And on another note one of our instructors here had an 03 4X4 F350 as well and he had to put numerous front ends under it after the third or forth one he got rid of the truck.

Forum Member

I agree with FarmBoy, we have had constitent problems with our bandaid buggy (ambulance) with the 6.0, our neighbors have had so many problems they sold their's to other agencies and bought Dodge chassis ambulances with the Cummin's. We have had turbo replaced twice, the EGR valve go out and now its the famous oil leak and only 28K on the odometer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the reply's. After 3 turbos, clutch work, tranny work and rear end work (all with under 8K miles on the truck), Ford was sending engineer down to look at the vehicle (only because Pierce was pushing them). On the way to the shop for the inspection, the transfer case locked up on the truck. After the local dealer replaced the transfer case, they "test drove" it and since there were no codes on the system, the engineers backed out of the inspection. We used to have a lot of die hard ford fans at the station. That is no longer the case.

Forum Member

Usual problems with the 6.0 engine (particular to 03) injectors, head gasket and bolts, EGR, EGR Cooler, Turbo, Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM), front ends.
    EGR is simple fix - buy a blockoff. This eliminates the exhaust gas from recirculating (improve power, less turbo lag, little better on fuel). Preventing the exhaust circulating also prevents the EGR cooler from failing.

Unfortunatly everything else is a bit of a gong show. I wound up putting diesel 10w 30 in my truck...easier on the injectors.

Run fuel conditioner religiously. Keeps fuel injection system lubed.

The turbos had a upgrade done in 04 I think - apparently the cooler hoses where blowing off.

A lot of these trucks where bought back by FORD due to the issues they where having. I know someone that had his F-350 stolen (2007) and Ford would not warranty the motor. He dropped a cummins into it - no problems since.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

The early 6.0 engine tend to be the issue. We have 2, pieces of crap and constantly have problems. GSA just keeps fixing them. The POS can't even maintain 70 MPH up a basic Kansas highway hill unless your doing 85 at the bottom 1st.
    It looks like we are going International next. Cummins is an option but I like the bigger trucks.
    I personally drive a Dodge Cummins. Hasn't been to the dealer since I drove it off the lot 3.5 years ago.Cummins engines are superior in every aspect. Inline 6 has way less parts and are built more HD.The new 6.4 Powerchokes are fast though.

Forum Member

They need to go back to the 7.3L!!!

Forum Member

I had two of them that were my own. Both we're bought back by FORD... Started to get the 6.4 but with the partial filter and other BS passed on them also... Put my buy back money in savings and driving my old 94 ext. cab chevy...

We use gas here for 2 newest brush trucks one v-8 and other v-10 the oldest is 6.9 diesel still runs great...

Forum Member

The new 6.7L engine will be called the Powerstroke as well. The Scorpion was the secret code name. Powerstroke is not a registered trademark of International.

The 2011 Powerstroke website Ford has has plenty of videos and discussion about the new engine. I participated in an online live chat with Chris Brewer on Friday. He's the Superduty nameplate chief engineer.

They are painfully aware of what everyone thinks of the 6.0L. And they've gone through trials and tribulations to ensure the new engine's success and durability.

Expect a good product very soon.

Bad news is it can't fit in the van chassis until it gets a major nose job because of all the coolers, EPA junk etc. So when the 6.0L supply runs out its only available with the V10 gas ambulance option. Which in my opinion would be a nice combo. (PS: forget about the 1986 gas ambulance fires...its a different world now).

No 6.4L Twin Turbo IH Powerstrokes will be offered for the ambulances.

They can't go back to the 7.3L for many reasons. 1 is that IH owns that design and don't make it anymore. Second it pollutes 20 times more than the 6.0L so it can't pass 2003 emissions much less 2011. Heck...the 6.4L won't even pass 2011 EPA. Basically the 7.3L was turned into a steam engine by the EPA. Personally I don't think its pollution numbers were bad at all. But someone in a glass skyscraper in SanFranPsycho did.
    Last edited by fpvfd502; 10-25-2009 at 02:17 AM.
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

We just got our 6.0 back from the shop. New EGR cooler at a cost of $1900.00s. Started blowing smoke out the exhaust pipe at a call. Prior to this it has been at the shop for numerous recalls and it has an antifreeze smell constantly when you drive it. The truck it's self has been good, just wish it had the old 7.3 engine.

Forum Member

You should have saved some serious cash and bought one of these EGR coolers. Its rebuilt like a boiler instead of a heater core. And they are not too difficult to install. The OEM cooler is junk and a new one can't handle heat any better than your original one.

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/For...troke_EGR.html
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

Thumbs down ????

I do not know if anyone can answer these two question but here it goes.

For the 6.0, is there other problems th 6.0 has other than the EGR Cooler?

Even of there is nto problems with the EGR would it be worth gooing ahead and replace ot with the bulletproof diesel model?

The second probably is a bonehead question but if there are other issues that are not related to the 6EGR then i will try and addres those as well. I have known several people with blown head gaskets but that was because of the EGR causing overheating

Forum Member

Go over to thedieselstop. and take look around...

For mine is was Egr,turbo,leaking oil at rear main,diesel in oil, wouldn't idle, no power etc etc... By time they got done everything but motor itself had been replaced at least once. I got the second one after my first buy back and waited until the 05's came out thinking problems would be over with they weren't.

I hope the new 6.7 diesel is good cause miss the smell of diesel in morning and having my Ford King Ranch Crew Cab. Almost got a V-10 gas but have passed so far..

Forum Member

Install an improved HD EGR cooler and install ARP head studs and new head gaskets. That alone will solve about 90% of all the failures out there. Next I'd keep an eye on the OEM oil cooler for buildup inside that can block coolant flow...which can also mimic EGR cooler failures. The two are related.
    Assistant Chief

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy05 View Post
    They need to go back to the 7.3L!!!
    Amen,
    Bullet proof + good gas mileage = 7.3L

Ford USE to make good engines(I have a 94 5.8, 220000 miles and still runs great) and they make good work trucks just the 6.0 sucks.

Ford tried to remedy the 6.0L problem with the new 6.4L. that they tried to sell everyone on. I know several people that are running the motor, but have not talked to them much, but the major flaw I have heard is gas mileage, their new 6.4 550 gets 9 with the same weight that the 7.3 got 20 MPG

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fpvfd502 View Post
    Install an improved HD EGR cooler and install ARP head studs and new head gaskets. That alone will solve about 90% of all the failures out there. Next I'd keep an eye on the OEM oil cooler for buildup inside that can block coolant flow...which can also mimic EGR cooler failures. The two are related.
    Talking to Ford Tech, he told me to replace the oil cooler at the same time you replace the EGR cooler. He said because of the placement of the oil cooler upstream of the filter it collects all the junk the filter should catch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Settlement

If you have a 6.0 with ambulance prep package you might have a settlement on work already done. Go to www.ambulancesettlement.com. maybe you can get reimbursed. good luck

Forum Member

Add a fried transmission to the list in our 2005 super duty. It let loose at a brush fire over the weekend... awful.

Forum Member

re: 6.0 powerstroke

I've never had a Dodge Cummins but several ford powerstroke trucks and I'll tell you what is the sturdiest engine I have ever seen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cambertoes
    re: 6.0 powerstroke

I've never had a Dodge Cummins but several ford powerstroke trucks and I'll tell you what is the sturdiest engine I have ever seen.
    If you are hailing the 6.0 Powerstroke, YOU, are an idiot!!!!

(no apologies, forthcoming)

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure why I tempt fate, but we have a 6.0L in an F-550, and its been pretty good. We have far more problems with the back half of the rig than the front.

Then again, the two 7.3L Powerstrokes we own have been bullet proof. The 6.0L goes like hell though...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I do hope you knocked on your desk, when you posted that. LOL

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool My '04

Usual problems with the 6.0 engine (particular to 03) injectors and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM)
    These are the issues we had with our '04 Power Stroke. Took it to the Dealership we bought it from (3) times for injectors and on the 4th time they replaced all the injectors plus the FICM.

When I was there I talked to a Ford Mechanic and asked them if Ford realized they had a problem... His mouth said "no" but he shook his head yes. He explained that all the trucks there were for injectors and similar issues. It was is a huge Dealership.

I wish the salesman knew about the diesels and told me they went to the new motor within the last few years, I would have waited another couple of years until the "bugs were worked out" and put down a larger down payment.

I'm a HUGE Ford Guy..... But I do have to admit I'm a bit disappointed with the problems that Ford's having with this engine.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information