Forum Member

Default Miami-Dade area FF's, big favor/question?!?

My family and I are moving down to Miami after recent budget cuts, like most places, caused me to be laid off after working there for several years from my job here in MI as a FF/Medic in Flint . My family and I have some jobs lined up down there but we have no clue about the area and where to avoid for living. Most the places I have seen are $1400-1600 a month for some apts which is no problem but we can't seem to find anyone to say hey this place rocks, great for families, great schools, or holy crap don't move there, crime, break-ins, run down. I know from years of calls in my area that I can tell you what areas to avoid, and where to look so who better than to ask than the people who do the same thing there. At this point we are looking for anywhere in county if it's closer to the ocean that is fine, we figure it may cost a couple bucks more a month but as of now anywhere would be good.

So what we are hoping is that my fellow brothers and sisters of the area can give us a hand and let us know towns/cities in the county to avoid and where it is that you do, or would, raise your family. We have 2 kids, 9 and 11, so we want good safe schools as well as nice clean, safe, non run down places to live. Oh and if you happen to know of any places that maybe a little cheaper we wouldn't complain about that either, few extra bucks is a few extra bucks. If you can say good or bad either or, doesn't matter as long as we can get some info. This move has been stressful enough as it is, some help with this would be such HUGE relief!!

Thanks for any help you can provide us. You have no idea how much it would be appreciated!!!
    Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Well if you're willing to commute I would say best bet is Broward County....can jump on I-595 to either I-95 or the Turnpike. West Broward, Central to North Broward being best. Lived in Broward for 20 years...didn't venture into Dade too often. Most nice areas down there are really expensive from what I remember. Commute is worth it in my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

i live in miami lakes, and its a really nice place. also nearby is palm springs north which has some great public schools, clean neighborhoods, good people. i would definitely avoid places like little haiti, little havana, opalocka, some sections of north miami. they can be really ghetto, and not a good area for your kids.

hialeah is great too, but it would be wise to learn some spanish beforehand haha

Forum Member

Cool

i live in charlotte now, but was born and raised in miami. i definitely echo what dmonteav said, especially about hialeah. it's got the county's largest population of cubans, so if you're looking to immerse yourself in our culture, it's the place to be. the schools are not great, but at your kids' ages, none of the miami-dade schools are that good. there are some great magnet schools when they reach high school age, though. it's a safe place, with some great people and a real working class vibe.

miami lakes is also good, and borders hialeah, in the north. there's also doral and aventura. some good cities on the south side are kendall, coral gables and sweetwater.

if you want a somewhat small town feel, consider the cities of miami springs and virginia gardens. lots of trees and canals, bike paths, a low crime rate, and easy access to the beach, downtown, metro-rail, etc. good schools and a great place to raise kids. my mom's a cop here. if you have any questions, pm me.

as for what to avoid, it's been covered, but i would also like to add:

carol city (though it's got a place in my heart), riverside, overtown, goulds, and north miami beach.

although you could commute from broward, the traffic every morning (unless you work at 4 in the morning) is going to be the biggest pain in the *** you can imagine, maybe worse. besides, broward sucks.
    hope this helps.

good luck

Forum Member

Thanks a ton so far!! That's a lot of info in just a few responses! A commute, as long as its not a 3 hour for 5 mile kinda deal is fine. I actually flew down and spent a few in Ft Lauderdale and northern Broward when I came down to do my app for Coral Springs Fire Academy. I saw then what you meant by traffic, 6 miles to my hotel took 32mins....in June! Couldn't imagine winter when its busier. From what I can remember its like 30-40mins to Miami from Coral Springs? Any ests on how long in the winter season with all the traffic? That could be a huge help in our decision. Now you guys said there where a few areas that where nice any apts that you can think of off hand that are nice in those areas, places you or friends lived. Places to avoid even in the nicer areas? The problem I'm running into is that everyone makes the pics of their places look nice and sound nice. The only thing I found besides the apts sites or like rent .com was some apt ratings site and there was a lot of bashing going on by people...gated for a reason, drugs in parking lot, shootings in parking lots, etc. Only thing is I read one review and it was put by the manager of one place, saying that people on the site where evicts, troublemakers that had it out for the places, that they were not accurate and some were straight up lies. Problem is, reading them I don't know which are lies again why I'm asking my fellow brother ans sisters for help. I don't want to move somewhere that has drugs breakins or even one said rapes in complex. So if you have any advice on complexes or even more on areas to look/live, please let us know!! Again huge thanks from us!!!!!

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Haha don't let em fool ya with the Broward bashing...it's just jealousy. When you're stuck in that traffic...you'll notice all the bad drivers have "Dade" on their tags =p. 954! Carol City is definitely an area to stay away from, and the magnet school comment is definitely a good idea for high school years.

Forum Member

Default Wander around this site

Forum Member

Don't move to Hialeah, its a horrible place.

I would suggest Broward County. There are a lot of nicer places out west (weston, pembroke pines, etc) that are good for raising kids and still central to main roads for travel.

If you go to Miami (and can afford it) I would look at South Miami, Kendall, Coral Gables, Miami Lakes.

I would stay away from Little Havana, North Miami, Miami Beach, or anywhere where there are a lot of apartments/efficiencies. That attracts hood rats.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

i'm cuban myself, so i love hialeah. broward has alot of great places too. pines, miramar, weston, davie are all nice places.

and yeah, anywhere you see alot of apt complexes, its bound to be ghetto.

Forum Member

Again thanks to everyone for all the help!! Glad to know whenever you need something I always now where to turn for some help, no matter what city, county or state we all stick together. Man I love my job and the people we work with...and the wife said thanks a ton also!

Forum Member

Oh yeah as for the City-Data, we where using it for some places but it wasn't giving us crime stats on everywhere or school ratings. It was a great help in some areas though. That plus I know in Flint you can put all the crime stats up and go holy crap no wonder they are in the top 5 in the nation in crime every year. But then again I can tell you places to go and you would never guess it was bad at all, no crime at all in those areas, nice homes, great yards, super friendly people, etc. You hear about the areas down in Miami and Ft Lauderdale area that have the money but we all know here or there, you can be driving down the street looking at beautiful homes and 5 mins later be saying, we should leave this area. That's why I asked for more help and got some great answers from everyone. Stats don't tell the entire picture.

Thread Information