MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Fire Apparatus Identifcation

A neighboring Chief ask me if I ever heard anything about if you retire an apparatus that its unit number has to be retired for a set period of time before it can be used again. The replacement apparatus for the retired cannot use the same number. I have never heard anything about this. He also told me that the Chief prior told the town council this and he now has to show them other wise. I told him to just do it and forget about it but he would like something in writing. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

So let me get this straight. According to what you are saying, if "Engine 11", a 1978 Hahn Pumper is sold by the Department who owns it, and they purchase a 2009 Seagrave Pumper to replace it, they can not then designate the new pumper with "Engine 11" as it's identifer?

-That "Engine 11" can not be used as an identifier for a set period of time?

Whoever told you this, was doing some pretty good drugs at the time. First of all, WTF difference does it make, and secondly, WTF is the town council doing getting involved? It's none of their business!!!!

I have never, ever heard of this anywhere- big city or small town. And I have been to quite a few. I would suggest that you go back to whoever told it to you to show it to you in writing- I highly doubt they will be able to, unless it was something from within their own organization.

Call the new engine whatever the hell you want, and tell the town council that if they dont like it to do something about it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I have asked the prior Chief and he either wouldn't give me a striaght answer or would answer at all. Second, I have also asked an attorney friend of mine about it andhe could not find any thing in writing. I called BU!!***** when I heard it the first time and still calling it. Just wanted to see if any others heard of it. On a side note, gotta love small town politics!!! THANKS

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by HEYVERN View Post
    I have asked the prior Chief and he either wouldn't give me a striaght answer or would answer at all. Second, I have also asked an attorney friend of mine about it andhe could not find any thing in writing. I called BU!!***** when I heard it the first time and still calling it. Just wanted to see if any others heard of it. On a side note, gotta love small town politics!!! THANKS

Why in the hell does the "prior chief" have anything to say about it? If they can't produce something in writing stating the reason for it then call it whatever you want.

Whatever their reasoning, there's no national or state laws or standards that dictate how you have to identify your apparatus. Other than perhaps wanting to be NIMS compliant and making sure all your apparatus are identified by type (i.e., call an engine "Engine XXX" instead of "Unit XXX"...we are about to make this change ourselves)

I'm calling bovine excrement on this one as well....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HEYVERN View Post
    Thats your answer. Number the new truck whatever you want.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Is he a sports fan!!!!

Sports teams retire numbers all the time but it doesn't make that much sense to me to do it for fire apparatus. Is he going to take one of the doors off the retired truck and hang it from the rafters of the station?

I do know of a town here in the Great White North where the police chief used to retire the unit number when they replaced a cruiser. Here was this little town off the beaten path that had two cruisers numbered 15 and 16. It took him years to get up that high and they will be in flying cars before they get to triple digits.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    Sports teams retire numbers all the time but it doesn't make that much sense to me to do it for fire apparatus. Is he going to take one of the doors off the retired truck and hang it from the rafters of the station?
    That's actually a pretty cool idea....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Let's talk fire trucks!

I've heard some goofy stuff in my time, but this is near the top of the list.

Call it whatever you want, you don't have to "retire" a number OR wait any amount of time to re-use the number.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys for all your help on this. To clear up some things, the prior chief told me this when I questioned him when he replaced a unit about five years ago. I have since left the dept. but still keep in contact because the current chief and I have been firends for years. I have talked to many people about this and all have given me the same response. So thanks to all that contributed to the discussion.

Thread Information