Forum Member

Default Air Force Fire Depts

I am currently in the Air Forces DEP. I have a guarenteed contract for Fire Protection. I am aware that you have to make a dream sheet of different places you'd like to be stationed. I was wondering if any current/previous Air Force Firefighters could tell me bases that the firefighters have a high call volumne on. I would at least like to put down some bases that run calls instead of bases that run few calls on my dream sheet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

take a look at andrews air force base, they used to be fairly busy and ran a good bit off base. plus on your days off, there are some really good and very busy volly stations off base. check out kentland, morningside and others in P.G. county MD.

Forum Member

Thank you for your reply if anyone else can name some other busy bases with a good call volumne i'd much be appreciated!

Forum Member

ramstein, germany. alot of calls and excellent training. it was my first base and 3 bases later, i want to go back!

Forum Member

Nellis, eglin, kadena, ramstien. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

If you are looking for call volume, you are probably going to be dissapointed with Air Force Fire Protection, but you will have the time of your life when you deploy and get some great training during your enlistment. Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks to all who replied anyone else who knows any bases with a good call volume keep naming them. USAFfiredog.....i know i wont get many calls but if i could put down bases that have more then others thats what im trying to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tclem6314 View Post
    Thanks to all who replied anyone else who knows any bases with a good call volume keep naming them. USAFfiredog.....i know i wont get many calls but if i could put down bases that have more then others thats what im trying to do.

right on, I was just warning you... even at the bases that are considered "busy" for the airforce, there really not....

the problem is, we get a lot of young guys comming in wanting to save the world, and they realize we spend our days cleaning and training and sleeping... not saving people. Then they become un-motivated, and hate comming to work. etc. etc. etc. Thats ok though, I like to motivate, ha ha. Good luck.

Forum Member

I was station at Vandenberg AFB Central Coast California for 4 years. If you like Wildland, want to see a few missiles launches and good training, I had a lot of fun.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg59 View Post
    I was station at Vandenberg AFB Central Coast California for 4 years. If you like Wildland, want to see a few missiles launches and good training, I had a lot of fun.
    what years were you there?

Forum Member

Sep 05 Jan 09

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg59 View Post
    Sep 05 Jan 09

Crazy, I was deployed with those guys from Jan-May05...

Forum Member

Default Air Force

Some info on Air Force Base FD's can be found at www.dodfire.com.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Forum Member

Thank you for your help

Forum Member

Sorry, this is kinda off topic. My brother-in-law says that airport fire trucks (military or civilian airports) keep their hoselines charged and ready to spray water 24/7 regardless of if they are responding to call or just sitting at the station. And that hoselines are full of water and just rolled up behind doors on the trucks. They are not folded (accordian lays and so forth) because they are "ready to go at an instant.

"He is retired USAF and worked on C-130's, so had a lot of interaction with aircraft. I am a firefighter, and have never heard anything like this. Is he correct, or am I?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by natedog54 View Post
    Sorry, this is kinda off topic. My brother-in-law says that airport fire trucks (military or civilian airports) keep their hoselines charged and ready to spray water 24/7 regardless of if they are responding to call or just sitting at the station. And that hoselines are full of water and just rolled up behind doors on the trucks. They are not folded (accordian lays and so forth) because they are "ready to go at an instant.

"He is retired USAF and worked on C-130's, so had a lot of interaction with aircraft. I am a firefighter, and have never heard anything like this. Is he correct, or am I?
    sometimes they have 1" booster lines that are ready to go, but aren't constantly charged. the 1" booster lines are hard rubber hoses that are on a reel. i dunno if any other arff department practices what your bro-in-law is talking about. the air force is usually preconnected lines on thier arff trucks.

Worldwide Menace

Crash trucks are always ready to go. With just the flip of a switch we can turn on the pump and be ready to throw water.

Our hoselines are not full of water (but the pipes are). We have removed the 1" booster lines on the water/foam line and replaced it with 150' of accordian load 1 3/4". with the pull of a knob on a pipe you will charge that line so you had better hope you got all the hose out. We still have the hard rubber dry chem PKP line.

-Damien

Forum Member

My station is currently going the motions of changing to the 48/72 schedule but we are lacking some good SOP's for the schedule. If any out there that is working this schedule and has a copy of their SOP's or SOG's for this schedule they could e-mail me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dusty L Bruce, BS
    White Sands Missile Range, Fire Dept
    Firefighter / EMT-I

dusty.bruce@us.army.mil

Forum Member

Echoing what the other wrote, I worked as a DoD Civilian at both an Army and a Navy airfield. We had 1.75" on crash trucks that was flat lay and accordian inside the compartments.........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information