Default Hello from SoCal!

Hello all.
    Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Darren and I am located in Souther California. I just made the decision to start my fire career. After five years of college and seven years working as a civil engineer, I finally realized what I really want to do, become a firefighter. I know I have a huge life changing challenge ahead of me and I am willing to do all I can. It won't be easy since I have to continue to work full-time to support my family and take all the necessary classes and academies on a part-time basis. I'm looking forward to lurking here and gaining valuable information from this website and it's members.

Thanks,
    Darren

PS - Anyone know of a part-time fire academy? So far I have found out that Rio Hondo will be offering a part-time academy in Jan. 2011 and Mt. Sac offers one but the part-time program is on hold due to budget issues. Thanks again!!

Forum Member

Darren,
    I believe El Camino college in Inglewood offers a part time academy. Set your sights on completing your EMT and getting the prerequisites for a basic fire academy. Biting the bullet and going through a full time academy may work better for you. It's a long road to get hired, but the rewards are pretty cool. I hope you earned your bachelors degree during the 7 years of schooling. It iwll put you above the competition......
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    Darren,
    I believe El Camino college in Inglewood offers a part time academy. Set your sights on completing your EMT and getting the prerequisites for a basic fire academy. Biting the bullet and going through a full time academy may work better for you. It's a long road to get hired, but the rewards are pretty cool. I hope you earned your bachelors degree during the 7 years of schooling. It iwll put you above the competition......
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Thank you. I actually received my degree in Civil Engineering in 5 years and have been working in that field for the last 7. I am also a licensed professional civil engineer by the state of CA. So hopefully with the degree and license I might stand out from the crowd when the time comes for testing.
    I will definitely look into El Camino. Once again thanks and I look forward to hanging out here and gaining valuable info.
    Darren

Thread Information