Banned

Default Climate Protesters Dangle From West End Bridge In Wind, Rain

Climate Protesters Dangle From West End Bridge In Wind, Rain

PITTSBURGH -- Four climate activists from Greenpeace dangled off the West End Bridge in Pittsburgh, high over the Ohio River, with a large sign calling for change on a windy, rainy Wednesday morning.

West End Bridge protest
    Traffic Cam
    Protesters dangle from a banner attached to the bottom of the West End Bridge in Pittsburgh.

Video - Watch WTAE Channel 4's Coverage
    Slideshow - Photos From Sky 4, Traffic Cam

The banner was hung from the underside of the bridge, one day before world leaders were due to arrive in Pittsburgh for the G-20 economic summit at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
    Related Link: Understanding The G-20

Each of the four protesters was attached to a rope hooked onto a railing on the bridge. Their sign said "Climate Destruction Ahead" and "Reduce CO2 Emissions Now."

After about two hours -- during which time police stayed in contact with them -- the protesters climbed up their ropes and returned safely to the bridge deck.

Pittsburgh Police Assistant Chief William Bochter said it has not been decided if the protesters will be charged with any offenses. He said they made no demands, other than to say they just want to get their point across.

Police placed one person who was on the bridge deck during the protest into handcuffs. He told Team 4 investigator Jim Parsons that he is from New York and that the protesters want President Barack Obama to deal with climate issues during the G-20 this week.

By phone, protest organizer Damon Moglen told Channel 4 Action News that "Greenpeace is here to get a message out about climate change, and I think that people in Pittsburgh realize how important this issue is. This is a city that has a reputation for various green initiatives, and that's a terrific history that they're developing, so I think this is a message that people in Pittsburgh can really appreciate."

Moglen did not comment when asked if other actions were planned for G-20 week in Pittsburgh.

Several city police cars and ambulances were stationed on the bridge during the protest. No injuries were reported and traffic was shifted into other lanes and allowed to flow in each direction.

Five other people wearing Greenpeace shirts were arrested in Point State Park downtown. WTAE Channel 4's Shannon Perrine reported that they had helmets, rappelling gear and duffel bags, but police would not say what they may have been intending to do.
    So the whack jobs from the right protest and yell in town hall meetings about their displeasure. No Arrests. No we get the double whack jobs form the left. Civil disobedience, arrests, disruption of peoples lives.

The big difference here is that the folks on the right have legitimate concerns about the Obama Care. The folks hon the left have concerns about Climate Change but realize there is little you can do to control the mother of all mothers - That would be Mother Nature.
    When your cause is based in faulty science and there is nothing man can do to change things, you resort to desperate measures.

Forum Member

Too bad that bridge wasn't up for demolition. I saw the Pittsburgh heavy rescue in the pictures...nice that they had to go out there in those dangerous conditions and protect the whack jobs from themselves whilst remaining unavailable to those with accidental emergencies.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Each of the four protesters was attached to a rope hooked onto a railing on the bridge. Their sign said "Climate Destruction Ahead" and "Reduce CO2 Emissions Now."

After about two hours -- during which time police stayed in contact with them -- the protesters climbed up their ropes and returned safely to the bridge deck.
    Several city police cars and ambulances were stationed on the bridge during the protest. No injuries were reported and traffic was shifted into other lanes and allowed to flow in each direction.

I saw the Pittsburgh heavy rescue in the pictures...nice that they had to go out there in those dangerous conditions and protect the whack jobs from themselves whilst remaining unavailable to those with accidental emergencies.

I absolutely love the irony of this. A handful of environmental terrorists (sorry, protestors ), who are upset about the amount of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere, caused by their actions a dozen or so police cars, ambulances, and fire apparatus to sit idling for two or more hours, emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Nice.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    I absolutely love the irony of this. A handful of environmental terrorists (sorry, protestors ), who are upset about the amount of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere, caused by their actions a dozen or so police cars, ambulances, and fire apparatus to sit idling for two or more hours, emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Nice.
    Kind of like the PETA people that opposed the thinning of a deer population by hired hunters since there were far more then the land could support. PETA got the operation to kill about 30% of the deer (meat would have been donated to local homeless shelters) stopped, and the next spring, estimates were that 70% of the deer had starved to death slowly and their meat went to waste. I'm sorry but these people are idiots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Now that is funny, I don't care who you are. But you left out all of the civilians who had to take alternate routes and tie up traffic thus emitting more CO2. Sort of like the ELF idiots who burn down homes under construction. That action puts more pollutants in the air and means cutting of more trees to replace the lumber that was burned.

Those idiots on the left aren't too smart are they?

Forum Member

Imagine the danger they would have been if pools held by dams downriver on the O-aitch Ten weren't being drawn down to winter levels last week.
    They'd have had to contend with increased current and deeper water if that hadn't been in progress.
    And,no,these folks aren't the brightest bulbs in the fixture.They protest something that isn't illegal and they directly and indirectly cause more pollution while making their protest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    Kind of like the PETA people that opposed the thinning of a deer population by hired hunters since there were far more then the land could support. PETA got the operation to kill about 30% of the deer (meat would have been donated to local homeless shelters) stopped, and the next spring, estimates were that 70% of the deer had starved to death slowly and their meat went to waste. I'm sorry but these people are idiots.

Imagine the costs to the state if they were able to hired people to thin the herd instead of having folks like you and me PAY for licenses to be able to kill those deer and donate the meat to Hunters for the Hungry.

Thread Information