Thread: NPS Question..

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NPS Question..

Is it a good idea to take a job with NPS like maintance/guide and the hope to get a firefighter spot in the future? I have my red card but no expierience other the volunteer structure fire expierience(7 YEARS). And on usajobs.gov I can only meet GS 3 MAYBE GS-4.

My second question is I know most wildland firefighters start of temp/seasonal, but how hard is it to find/get another job after that season is up??

IF IT HELPS:

Florida firefighter 1&2
    florida EMTb (national expired retesting in october)
    ICS: 100,200,300,700,800
    L-180, S-190, S-130
    alot of other structure classes.
    Last edited by 33mongo33; 09-24-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Forum Member

It won't hurt you.. it could help. Many parks still utilize the concept of the militia, so while you may be an interpretive guide, you are redcarded and eligible to help staff park apparatus for fire calls (if the park has a brigade of its own and not depending on an outside agency/dept). If you can get on permanent with a non-fire job, once you get competive status you will be able to apply to those jobs that are for competitive status employees only.

The critical factor to keep in mind is that the maximun age for fire retirement intial hire is 37 (mandatory fire retirement is 57 yrs old).

If all else, you pretty much have a guaranteed job and can play firefighter now and then. That job will come with a retirement package and benefits that while they may not be the best, it's better than nothing.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

for the reply that helps a lot.. I'm applied for about everything.. But I'm really hoping to get on a crew to do prescribed burns.. any ideas.. and one last question do you have any idea how hard/easy it might be to pick up another job after a temp/season is expired?

thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 33mongo33 View Post
    for the reply that helps a lot.. I'm applied for about everything.. But I'm really hoping to get on a crew to do prescribed burns.. any ideas.. and one last question do you have any idea how hard/easy it might be to pick up another job after a temp/season is expired?

thanks
    I guess it depends on how mobile you are. I have heard of guys working out west during the fire season there, then going to FL or similar and working during their fire season, and back and forth. It may still be possible with NPS, but don't forget Fins & Feathers... oops I mean Fish & Wildlife Service .

As for Rx burns... contact the various fire use modules. I worked on 2 of them, but since then, they've added several more.

I found this with a web search http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

It's the most comprehensive list I've seen in recent years.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Thread Information