MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Statistics as of Round 46

Congrats to all of the winners this week.

As of Round 46

5261 awards......$492,047,045

Breakdown:

OPS: 4621 awards......$359,295,671
    VEH: 640 awards......$132,751,374

Funds Remaining:

OPS: $0, exceeded by $2,295,671
    VEH: $8,248,626 (6%)

Average Award:

OPS: $77,753
    VEH: $207,424

Estimated Awards Remaining:

OPS: 0
    VEH: 40

Average Awards/Round:

Estimated Rounds Remaining:

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm guessing that they're not going to use the full 25% for trucks, doesn't seem like anyone has an 1199A for one of those. Easier to move the equipment apps into line.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    I'm guessing that they're not going to use the full 25% for trucks, doesn't seem like anyone has an 1199A for one of those. Easier to move the equipment apps into line.
    So, they're going to use the left over funds for operations and safety then? Not borderline vehicle applications?

Can they start the '09 1199s before all the '08 funds are exhausted?
    (having hard time getting my thoughts in order today for some reason, so need a little assistance.)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Seems like they are using anything left for Ops & Safety, no new words on vehicle 1199As for a long time, just new Ops ones. The 25% vehicle money is a max, so they don't have to hit that mark, would be the easiest thing to do since many vehicle apps were redone for 2009 or folks just up and bought a different truck, most cases used.

Normally they start the next year in July before the excess funds from the prior year are used up. Our last 2008 error was awarded today, so near as I can tell the money is pretty close to dried up for 2008.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    So, they're going to use the left over funds for operations and safety then? Not borderline vehicle applications?

Can they start the '09 1199s before all the '08 funds are exhausted?
    (having hard time getting my thoughts in order today for some reason, so need a little assistance.)
    Jim,

The AFG can start the 1199A's for 2009 even though there are awards still being made for '08. Both are seperate in regards to funding so no problem with doing both at the same time.

I have to agree with Brian that the additional funding for the OPS side is at the expense of vehicles. Another source could be the Administrative costs as historically the AFG does not expend the whole 5% typically around 3%.

In addition, supplemental funding will not start until the initial appropriation has been awarded, but usually a number of months after that has been done.

Forum Member

See Brian and Andy, I find the end of the programs very interesting. The final administration costs were something that I at first had not considered and realize now that there would be a definite increase. Makes sense. I read somewhere where a lobbyist mentioned that it is hard to discontinue a federal program. Guess that the AFG is the exception although I recognise it did get extended till 2010. Would really like to see those other pork programs discontinued or the AFG get the billions in funding like the DHS and HSGP programs receive and begin one similar to the AFG. Begining to think that a new AFG relative is the new issue to bring to our state representatives. Please keep your radar on for any movement in that arena.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Supposedly the committee voted way back when to extend it to 2015, but hasn't come before the full bodies of Congress yet. That's another thing we need to needle them on before it slips their minds and the whole shebang disappears.

Forum Member

Supposedly the committee voted way back when to extend it to 2015, but hasn't come before the full bodies of Congress yet. That's another thing we need to needle them on before it slips their minds and the whole shebang disappears.
    Well I'm gonna contact them for sure.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yeah, get them to stop screwing with health care for 15 minutes and pass the law already. Over 2/3rds of Congress belongs to CFSI at last check, should be able to pass it pretty quickly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like they are using anything left for Ops & Safety, no new words on vehicle 1199As for a long time, just new Ops ones. The 25% vehicle money is a max, so they don't have to hit that mark, would be the easiest thing to do since many vehicle apps were redone for 2009 or folks just up and bought a different truck, most cases used.
    Anyone see any logic to cutting vehicle grants? Looks to me that apparatus should be gettign 50% of the grant $. Most FD that bothered to write a decent grant have gotten well fixed in TO gear/SCBA. What is still widely needed are decent pumper/tankers. Thousands of POS 30year old apparatus still in service yet Fire Grant can't bother to grant the available $? That's screwed up.

Forum Member

Smile AFG vehicle awards

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Anyone see any logic to cutting vehicle grants? Looks to me that apparatus should be gettign 50% of the grant $. Most FD that bothered to write a decent grant have gotten well fixed in TO gear/SCBA. What is still widely needed are decent pumper/tankers. Thousands of POS 30year old apparatus still in service yet Fire Grant can't bother to grant the available $? That's screwed up.
    Would be interesting to see an extension on AFG and to have a couple years attention on just that, vehicle awards. Would feel better if they did the extension and have the influence of the peer reviewers. Yes I know it would make changes, but don't they make changes every year anyway?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No real changes other than administrative as in what's eligible and what isn't. 95% of it hasn't changed. The reason they probably do not toss it into additional vehicles is that they are longer in development and purchase than equipment. Easier to get the apps through, departments to agree to it, and all that other fun admin stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, right now you can spec/order a commerical cab pumper or tanker for delivery in 90-120 days from most mfg. Add 60days for a customcab. The Koolaid brand sales is off so much that Dec09 (beat NFPA1901 change) orders have been delivered 2-3months early. They reportedly have a huge # of unsold demos available.

The fire truck business is way off. EPA change is going to screw things up some.

Thread Information