Thread: My Project

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My Project

Greetings,
    First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read about my vision. I am collecting stories about firefighters helping one another and this project will include stories from all ranks within a department.

I guess a little introduction is in order. My name is Steve Crump and I have been in the fire service for 19 years. I started as one of the first cadets for Branson Fire & Rescue and from there, I was hired onto the paid staff and advanced through the ranks of firefighter and engineer to my current position, of the last several years, as a truck captain.

On April 20, 2009 I found out that concrete is slightly stronger than my neck and back when I fell backwards unloading hose for annual hose testing. I spent the next 3 Ĺ months on temporary disability and am now serving on light duty unsure of if or when my career will end.

During this time, I was lucky to have in my life some great individuals who went out of their way to help me and my family. One day, while talking with my wife Shannon about how could I repay these ďAngelsĒ, she made the suggestion that we should tell their stories. Of course, at first I just stood there with a blank look on my face like the one so many men have given their spouses when they realize a great idea is in the making.

This project has become a reality with assistance from my wife and Dad, with some great insight from bestselling author Dennis Smith and most of all guidance and help from the Lord.

In every fire department there are people that do what is required and move on, and then there are those that go above and beyond to help those in need. I truly believe that the fire service is a family, and that even if you donít always get along with an individual, you will still help them and their family.

On the suggestion of Dennis Smith, I intend to call this collection "Angels Among Us." I envision this as a celebration of the real lives of firefighters from every rank and file, and how important they are, not just to me, but to everyone. I canít wait to have fellow firefighters read about people like Fire Chief Carl Sparks, and Division Chief Charlie Huston, and what they have done in my life and for my family. These are just two of the people that have made this an inspiration, and I have already received wonderful stories that I am excited to publish.

If you have a story you would like to share as a way of saying thank you, please contact me at any of the ways listed below. Also, feel free to pass this on to any and all personnel. Thank you again for your help in making this dream become a reality.
    Sincerely,

Steve Crump

Angelamongus@centurytel.net

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Sounds like a noble idea. I'd read it!

Good luck with both your book and your continuing recovery.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

ladies an gents....and engine companys

i have had some people e-mail me and ask on a update an how the recovery was going, thank you for asking meant allot to myself and family.

as for the update, looks like i'm done being a fireman. Doctor says I wont get any better than what I am now, which actully sucks. So got a lawyer and off to see other doctors and trying to get a second opinion.

The chances of full recovery are slim, but i will follow the road God has laid out for me.

as for my project, I havnt had many people contact me, now I know we dont like to share. thats just how we are. I wish I could explain how much this project means to me, and how great it would be to share and tell these people thank you for what you have done.

now it can be funny stories, heart warming, action packed (try to keep the nudity down a little).

Also, post on here, give me ideas on things YOU would like to see.

I'm also working on getting stories from police, and militarty. In the long run i'm hoping to set up a not for prophit group that will flood the media about LODD in police fire and military.

I for one am sick of hearing about michael jackson and so many like him and we hear nothing about our sisters and brothers.

ok off my soap box!!

wife says it's time to go teach cub scouts about wildlife.........and NO I cant bring my bow.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you happen to be on facebook, my wife had me set up a group, check it out and join. Angels Among Us

Be a great place I'm hoping to just meet and talk with other firefighter also

MembersZone Subscriber

geeez, talk about thread killer. ok, my last plea for this week lol. looking for some feed back on a chapter about LODD. I was asked if I would do one, and to be honest, I just dont know.

give me some feed back would ya, I have had several people view and 1 person post. If you dont agree with what i'm trying to do, tell me why.

but there are some awesome people out there that need thier stories told about what they do. the jokes the mowing peoples lawn, tons of stuff, even simple things.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was visiting with some great FF's, and we got to talking about tradition, brotherhood, and firehouse living be it paid or volunteer.

We all agreed that some of this is slowly declining. The brotherhood isnt always there, traditions are slowly gowing to the way side, and firehouse living is so different. The once great time of practical jokes in the fire house are disappearing cause of law suits and people feel like they are being harrassed.

So I was convinced to add some chapter's on each one of these. I'm now looking for people to interview on allot of things about thier department. History, jokes, traditions they have, and of course about how thier firefighters help one another.

Let me know your thoughts on this. I need people to talk to, havnt had many e-mail me or anything so I could give them a call, or come see them.

Thread Information