Forum Member

Default CDBG fund question

I was wondering if anyone here knows what percentage of a communities CDBG funds can be used for fire stations? Also, is it ok to make building repairs from CDBG funds? How about vehicle purchases? Thanks, Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contact Info

Here is the contact info for our area Mike. He should be able to answer all your questions. (and for anyone else in western or southwestern MI)

Joe Agostinelli, 517.242.5480
    agostinellij@michigan.org
    I got your back

Forum Member

I just checked into that about one month ago, Michigan does not allow any CDBG to be used for public safety. We were looking for funds for a new engine also, but the answer from them was a big no. They only allow the funds to be use for infrastructure for low income houseing. If you need to improve the water lines or hydrants then you might be able to get some funds. Good luck. if they tell you differant let me know.

Forum Member

In Pa we have used CDGB funds to purchase or last 2 engines (1997/2006), a small rescue in 2003, Specialty Rescue trailer in 2004, TIC in 2008.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Must be a MI thing then, every other state I know of allows CDBG funds to be used for anything to benefit areas of lower economic status. Tyler TX has an area of the city designated as the only HUD eligible zone in the city, and CDBG is what they used to build 2 stations in that area, a couple of trucks, and probably a 3rd station in that area. Houston used $5.5mil of theirs from 2005 to buy 47 vehicles, and all they had to do was assign them to the HUD zone stations. Sounds like you need to fix something in the state and get that restriction removed. After all it's federal money from US HUD, don't think they can legally restrict it anyway. Municipality is the one applying so if the city/town is all for it then state has no jurisdiction.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gotta echo BC79er. Sounds like something weird in your state as all others I have ever seen the money could be used for anything as long as it "benefited and served low income areas" .
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

From what I was told, the states can use up to 15% of the cdbg for funding public safety like fire truck, fire stations, police cars and so on. I was told that Michigan has negelated ( I me elected) not to do this. They are afraid of the wall of applications that they would receive if they allow this, and they feel that it would make the pie smaller for the other projects. I'm trying to get our state reps to change this. Right now they trying to get the 2010 budget approved by October 1, if they don't the state will have to shut down again this year. Last year the state shut down for about 12 hours, State Police were taken off the roads, I mean a total state shut down. It's not pretty here in Michigan at the current time.

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I was under the impression that we could use up to 15% of the CDBG funds for fire stations or trucks. I will talk to the contact listed above. Thanks, Mike

Thread Information