Forum Member

Default Minitor 5 Question

My min 5 seems to be having a problem. When I put it in the charger i seem to have to find the "sweet spot" in order for it to charge. Even then I don't seem to be able to get the 3-4 days with minimual calls that I use to get out of it. I am wondering if it's a charger unit problem or if it is a pager problem? Today I have taken the battery out and I am charging it in the battery slot instead but for now I am with out a pager. Any help with this would be great. I am just unsure where to even start looking. Yes the pins look fine and straight in the charger. And also the red light that states rapid charge comes on then goes green for normal charge when I hit the sweet spot otherwise it just blinks red when the pager is in the charger.

Forum Member

Default minitor problem

It sounds to me like your battery is not holding a charge. You could try a new one or recharge the old one. There's a way to drain the battery completely... I watched someone do it once with a paperclip....hmm.. don't remember exactly how they did it... I think you just straighten out the paper clip and touch each end to the ends of the battery. If you can in the future, let the battery die all the way before you put it in the charger. I know that it hard if that's your only notification. Good luck!

Forum Member

You may have dirty electrical contacts on the pager. I use a toothpick with a tiny piece of paper towel stuck on the end to get into the holes that the contacts are in. You're batteries also sound like they may need replacing.

The best thing you can do to extend battery life is to charge the batteries fully and then run them until the low battery alarm sounds on the pager. Then recharge again. If you put your pager in the cradle every night you are not discharging the battery enough to get the full life out of the battery.

I would never recommend shorting the battery out with a paperclip or anything else. The rapid discharge can damage the battery or the electronics inside the battery. Note that the minitor V batteries have 4 contacts on them. 2 are for the terminals on the battery (positive and negative), and the other two may be used for temperature sensors or charging monitors.

So check the contacts on the bottom of the pager, as well as the ones on the batteries. You might want to buy some contact cleaner for this.

One more thing some people may have noticed. The Minitor V chargers cannot fast charge a pager and a spare battery at once. If you put both into the charger, the pager will charge first and the battery will start charging once the pager switches to trickle charge (green light). Until that point, it will just flash red.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREINSTR View Post
    My min 5 seems to be having a problem. When I put it in the charger i seem to have to find the "sweet spot" in order for it to charge. Even then I don't seem to be able to get the 3-4 days with minimual calls that I use to get out of it.
    In addition to the cleaning suggested in previous replies, here is another thing to be on the look for. If this is an amplified charger (instead of the desktop charger), watch for it to develop a problem where the LED will flash red once you insert the charger, and flash until you take it out. It should flash red for a short period to indicate it is trying to see if it can charge the battery, then switch to solid red to indicate that it is charging and then switch to solid green once it is fully charged.

I have also seen where the charger will only charge the battery for about 15 minutes and then switch to solid green. That will get you a day and a half. Pull the pager out once it goes to green and reinsert to make it run through another cycle.

The most likely problem is dirty contacts based on "having to find the sweet spot" but I have had a lot of trouble with the Minitor V chargers. I keep hoping to see a Minitor-6 hit the market and go back to AAA batteries.

Brian

Forum Member

Ok so I tried the cleanning with a tooth pick and a small piece of paper and still have problem. So I unpluged the charger from wall and cleaned the contacts in the charger thinking this might help too. Nothing. Still same problems. So I barrowed a charger from a buddy to see if its on the pager side or the charger side. I dropped the pager into his craddle and wham what do you know the red light came on and soon whent to green. back to my charger and have to find the sweet spot. Also mine had a loud whine to it after I found the sweet spot. I then tried using his battery on my pager to see if its a battery problem or a charger problem. That did not help either so i have no narrowed it to wither the pager or the battery. After a few more test I believe it to be the ccharger and am going to order a new desk top charger. Thanks to all for the info and if anybody has any other ideas please feel free to post for any others with problems.
    FIRE

Forum Member

Thumbs down

We have had a lot of charger problems with the V. we have replaced 9 out of 12 within the first year of use. Nothing but junk and mother "M" is aware of it

Forum Member

We are also having this problem and I spoke with the guy that services our radio's and pagers. He said that there is a know issue with the chargers that have a serial number that ends in A or B. No formal recall yet, but if it is still under warranty Motorola should have no problem replacing it.

Forum Member

Sorta of an old post but thought I would throw my 2 cents in, it might help some one else, the chargers that motorola is sending as replacements have A LOT SMALLER power transformer, the ones that came with the 5's were a bigger square one. these seem to be the ones going south we have had alot of trouble with them

Forum Member

Minitor V is a junk product that Motorola has turned out. We have more pagers in the shop (in mexico, not USA, now I might add) than we have on firefighters.
    Motorola needs to stop and evaluate how they do business and not assume Fire will buy their product just because they always have.

We are trying out the Swissphone, so far so good. Excellent customer support and they can program the little things any way you want.

Forum Member

I was issued a III when I joined, issued a V after a year, kept the V 3 days and swapped it in for my old III. The amp charger fried 3 batteries and the pager during that time. Later found out that the amp charger was recalled for frying batteries and pagers. Years later and I still got my old III in good working order.

Forum Member

Our dept just recieved 30 new 5's via the whole grant thing. Ive had my pager maybe 3 weeks and now im having the same problem...when i put my pager in the slot, the pager light on the charger just blinks red.

It works fine when i just put the battery in the battery slot, but thats no good with the pager. so any new info would help, if anyone knows anything.

Thanks alot

Forum Member

I need to preface all my comments. I am not an electronics guy all experiences and procedures were produced by deduction and experimentation. I have been experiencing a an issue with my V for the past few weeks as well. When placing the pager in the cradle it needs to be just right for the charging sequence to happen, (but only when the pager has not had much activity i.e. few alerts/not much power usage), the charging cycle seemed to be very short (15-20 min) which led to short battery life. I would see the battery leds go from three to two in 2-3 hours with no alerts, and one in 5-8 hours. I believed this was due to a battery issue. My next step was to let the battery die to low battery level. I then removed the battery from the pager and placed in the separate charging slot. Battery seems to be charging fully, and battery life is comparable to when the unit was new. A side point of this I discovered is that with the battery charging in the battery slot I can place the pager with out the battery pack in the charger cradle and turn it on. The pager has power and seems to function as long as it is in the charger. My idea was that I can get by by charging the battery separately and at least have the pager working in the charger while this happens, when I am working in my home office or so. I have ordered a spare battery from our supplier. Ultimately I will have two battery packs that I can rotate if necessary. I used to do this back when I had a minitor II. If that does not resolve the issue I am then going to try changing the charger. From here on the forums what is this known issue that is alluded to? Can anyone explain it in more detail. Does it seem to anyone with more experience if this is a battery issue or a charger issue?
    Last edited by Rhinofire; 05-11-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinofire View Post
    Ultimately I will have two battery packs that I can rotate if necessary. I used to do this back when I had a minitor II. If that does not resolve the issue I am then going to try changing the charger. From here on the forums what is this known issue that is alluded to? Can anyone explain it in more detail. Does it seem to anyone with more experience if this is a battery issue or a charger issue?
    My solution is not elegant and somewhat expensive. When this crops up I pitch the charger into the dumpster and purchase a new one. I can do this and have the pager and battery start working the way it should, so I conclude it is a charger issue.

Here is what I have noticed, the amplified charger has the spare charging slot in the back and this spare slot is seperate but interconnected with the pager charging slot. When the pager-charger goes bad, the back slot sometimes continues to work. When I run out of chargers, I ask them to live with having to take the battery out to charge and run the pager in the charger without a battery pack in the pager.

Second, the charger sometimes will break where the only thing that happens is that the LED flashes Red. It never goes to solid red and never turns green. When this happens, the battery is not really being charged as it should. Overnight can get you about 8 hours of use (instead of the normal 72 hours), but your battery will be destroyed in a few weeks.

The non-amplified chargers are not immune to doing similar things.

Brian

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWFD22 View Post
    My solution is not elegant and somewhat expensive. When this crops up I pitch the charger into the dumpster and purchase a new one.
    I'll buy your broken chargers from you.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighter2160
    Sorta of an old post but thought I would throw my 2 cents in, it might help some one else, the chargers that motorola is sending as replacements have A LOT SMALLER power transformer, the ones that came with the 5's were a bigger square one. these seem to be the ones going south we have had alot of trouble with them
    I have 100's of the smaller Minitor V AC adapters. If anyone needs one you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    We have had a lot of charger problems with the V. we have replaced 9 out of 12 within the first year of use. Nothing but junk and mother "M" is aware of it
    Hi Islandfire. Are you still having troubles with your Minitor V's? It seems like some batches are ok and others aren't. Its really a shame. The Minitor 2's were great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker918 View Post
    Minitor V is a junk product that Motorola has turned out. We have more pagers in the shop (in mexico, not USA, now I might add) than we have on firefighters.
    Motorola needs to stop and evaluate how they do business and not assume Fire will buy their product just because they always have.

We are trying out the Swissphone, so far so good. Excellent customer support and they can program the little things any way you want.
    Hi Firewalker. What has been your experience with Swissphone so far?

Thanks,
    Michael

Thread Information