Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Fluoride in the water...

I know what they say about stupid questions... Fortunately, I got smart just in time to ask this one:

I obviously have a lot of time to think about things in an hour commute to and from work. I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone is aware of any studies done on the effects of fluoridated water and firefighting operations. I'm not suggesting that our streams turn into flamethrowers or anything. I'm just wondering if the chemical does anything nasty when the water converts to steam?

I'm taking into account at least a few people will want to answer with a "it doesn't matter, you should be wearing BA at ALL times, even when boiling water at home" and I get it... I'm just wondering if this is perhaps ONE more reason to be prudent. Any associated cancers? Anyone ever investigated this?

Thanks!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.
    General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
    General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen, tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?
    General Jack D. Ripper: Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
    General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
    General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
    General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.
    from Dr. Strangelove....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

My guess would be that the only thing it might effect is foam, but if that was an issue, we probably would have heard about it by now.

As far as boiling water, people boil water with fluoride in it all the time for cooking purposes. It may be the one thing that nobody has claimed will cause cancer. I'm sure that any negative effects would present after cooking with it every day for many years.

If you have steam on the fireground, there are probably many worse chemicals mixed with it.

Yeah I suppose. Figured maybe a couple thousand gallons converted might have a more prominent effect but maybe not.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Forum Member

Here in Memphis,in the Northwest corner of Audobon Park at Southern Ave,there used to be a tap where you could get unfluoridated water for free from the artesian well that supplied Memphis.
    People would bring their own containers,fill up for the week and leave the tap water for bathing in and washing the car.
    And who can forget this chestnut: "Colgate fluoride M-F-P.Helps prevent the cavities.And it tastes great naturally!"

Thread Information