1. #26
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Outside Philadelphia
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Great topic!!

    2 things I try to let my guys know is:

    A "certification" is only proof that you knew the knowledge to pass the test the day it was given. What are you going to do for the next 20 years????

    Firefighting is 90% common sense, 9% training, with the final 1% the ability to effectively combine the other 99%. In my experience, that 1% can be a pain in the ***** for some folks!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

  2. #27
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    63

    Default

    You can really know the theory but if you are not able to do the practice...do you really know anything?

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Great topic my former cheese making brother!

    I think everyone has some great info and great posts here. Yes, there is a huge difference, like night and day, between the two.

    What is very annoying to me is a young person coming in who has all these degrees and certifications but no experience behind it, or the only experience they have is in a burn tower. Sure, that's a start but it's only a start. Most of these kids come in thinking because they have the wallpaper, means they are entitled to get perks and that they know it all.

    I have also seen the old salty dog who has 35 years experience but stopped training in the 1980's and refused to progress. This is also bad. A wise crusty told me once that "the day you think you know it all is the day you need to retire." I think this is very true.

    The best firefighter has the latest training, tactics, technology, and equipment and can combine what they have learned with common sense, experience, and tradition to get the job done.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  4. #29
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Great topic!!

    2 things I try to let my guys know is:

    A "certification" is only proof that you knew the knowledge to pass the test the day it was given. What are you going to do for the next 20 years????

    Firefighting is 90% common sense, 9% training, with the final 1% the ability to effectively combine the other 99%. In my experience, that 1% can be a pain in the ***** for some folks!!
    I would say your percentages are off a bit.

    For a firefighter on the line
    It's 35% training
    35% Experience
    and 30% common sense

    As you move up the management ladder you need more book smarts in topics like managing people and finance. You also need the street smarts to deal with government and politics.

  5. #30
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canuck Expat May be anywhere
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Theres only one problem with having experienced or street smart FF. For a lot of newbies, where do they get the experience? I joined my FD in 1973. My first year I was at about 70+ fires, most of them structure. My Son joined same dept in 2008, first year ending in April, he had attended 11, only one of which was multi station response. Its getting increasingly more difficult for the younger personnel to aquire actual structural FF experience. Its a good thing from the publics point of view as fires are down signifigantly, but the people who come to the next fire may have signifigantly less experience than had it happened even 20 years ago.

  6. #31
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I would say your percentages are off a bit.

    For a firefighter on the line
    It's 35% training
    35% Experience
    and 30% common sense

    As you move up the management ladder you need more book smarts in topics like managing people and finance. You also need the street smarts to deal with government and politics.
    And you would know any of this HOW? You have clearly proven your lack of firefighting knowledge over and over here. You spend more time posting cutesy little off topic quotes, statistics that usually don't apply, and your blatant hatred of career firefighters, Union employess, and anyone that doesn't buy your privatization BS.

  7. #32
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And you would know any of this HOW? You have clearly proven your lack of firefighting knowledge over and over here. You spend more time posting cutesy little off topic quotes, statistics that usually don't apply, and your blatant hatred of career firefighters, Union employess, and anyone that doesn't buy your privatization BS.
    Couldn't have said it any better!!!! Just to also add this on he has over 5,000 posts in under 2 yrs. That right there says a lot about a person, it obviously shows you know nothing and think you know a lot.

  8. #33
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better!!!! Just to also add this on he has over 5,000 posts in under 2 yrs. That right there says a lot about a person, it obviously shows you know nothing and think you know a lot.
    DING DING DING!


    Tell em what he won Johnny!

    .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  9. #34
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Well,*** U M(E)ING the the magpie reads the responses,he MIGHT have learned a little something by now.Even in responding to his off the wall responses,you guys always come up with a good tidbit for consideration.I've learned,(and continue to)a lot from some pretty smart people on this site and contribute when I can. I vote STREET smart with some book thrown in.Sorry,but there is NO substitute for a street savvy guy with time ubder their belt in active emergency mitigation. T.C.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Smart Key... Smart Responder
    By rmoore in forum University of Extrication
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 10:59 AM
  2. Make me smart!
    By fire78n88 in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 10:33 AM
  3. "Street Smart Firefighting" The book
    By quint6captain in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 05:32 PM
  4. Are you as smart as you think you are?
    By backdraft663 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
  5. Nobody said he was smart
    By Steamer in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register