Forum Member

Default 500 Gallon Tower Ladder?

How come you always see single axle quints with 500 gallon tanks but you never see tower ladders with them? I guess it has to do with weight but you would think that would be solved with aluminum ladders.

Not sure if it is a typing error but it says one was delivered to Clanton, AL.

http://www.pro-fire.com/recentdelive...?cat=recentdel

Forum Member

Edit:

The Clanton AL unit shows a tower with dual rear axles...
    Last edited by Res343cue; 09-28-2009 at 01:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I don't think one could even get a straight tower on a single axle unless it was a Sutphen 70 footer. Aerialscopes were once made on singles, but I doubt that can be done anymore. There was quite a bit of controversy on this board over whether or not one is being built now for a department in NY, but that threat has not seen much action.

For what it's worth a 500 gallon tank on on 100' tower is not all that uncommon, just on a twin screw.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    There was quite a bit of controversy on this board over whether or not one is being built now for a department in NY, but that threat has not seen much action.
    It IS being built. Take my word for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    It IS being built. Take my word for it.
    I would imagine it's just about done...

Forum Member

I believe y'all.

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    I believe y'all.
    I don't believe it until I see it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    How come you always see single axle quints with 500 gallon tanks but you never see tower ladders with them? I guess it has to do with weight but you would think that would be solved with aluminum ladders.

The reason for few 500 gal tanks on towers is two-fold: weight and space. Towers must be built to hold more weight than the aerial ladder found on most quints. That requires more metal, a heavier/larger torque box and stabilizer system. It can also have the effect of raising frame height.

I would think most manufacturers could offer a 500 gal tank, but you'd have to make a trade-off somewhere else: Compartment space, hose bed capacity, GVWR.

C6

Forum Member

Yeah I know the tower had dual axles, I was just talking about single axle QUINTS.
    Last edited by FireRescue61; 04-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Forum Member

a 500 gallon tank is about 4100 lbs and about 67 cubic feet of water. That works out to about a 4 x 4 x 4ft cube to give you a visual. Now try to put that into a truck and already is tight on space and weight.

Forum Member

Yeah I know the tower had dual axles, I was gust talking about single axle QUINTS.
    I misunderstood you. I was answering your question:

"How come you never see tower ladders with them [500 gal water tanks]?"

C6

Forum Member

Yes Command6, That was my question "How come you never see tower ladders with 500 gal water tanks?",
    Not as some others thought "How come you never see single axle tower ladders?"

Forum Member

If a Tower Ladder is the same as a Platform Ladder, then yes, they do make them. I have a Sutphen 100' MM Platform with a 500gal tank on it.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

^^^^
    Same here. We've got 500 gallons on our 110' Sutphen. Also 1000' 5". There's not an over abundance of compartment space, but everything that we need to run as a truck company is there, along with the basic engine company tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 500 Gallon Platform

E-ONE offers the 95 Platform with 300 or 500 gallons of water. The platform is rated at 750 dry and 500 wet, sidestacker hose bed with 900 to 1000 ft. of 5 in. hose, deep upper and lower compartments, and short jack spread. The only changes to the truck are front axle rating and ground ladders options.

Forum Member

Most, and I emphasize "most" aerial platform forms I see being manufactured today have a 1000# load limit dry and 500# limit while flowing. That is significantly more than a quint. If you look at the aerial ladder on a platform, there's a lot of steel in those things.

Sutphen, with their unique truss box beam aluminum construction, is significantly lighter weight than other designs from steel. That would give you some pounds to apply towards water. They also only use a single set of out-and down stabilizers, freeing up some space.

I still think that other platform builders could offer a 500 gal tank if that was a deal-breaker.

C6

Forum Member

BTW: Look at this, 75' ladder With a 1,000 gallon Tank! (YES 1,000 GALLON)

http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/pag..._township.html

Forum Member

Rosenbauer has built several 100'+ Towers with an extruded aluminum body and 500 gallons of water.

http://rosenbaueramerica.com/media/f...3_Drawing0.pdf

Forum Member

I am a member of that fire department and it is a typing mistake, it only has a 300 gallon tank

Forum Member

Yes it was a typing error it has a 300 gallon tank, i run with that dept.

Forum Member

Thanks! That cleared that up!

Thread Information