Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What about knee surgeries?

I just found this site and really like it. Seems to be alot of good info here. I am 37 years old and have been self employed since 2001. Have had three knee surgeries since 1994. One in 94 (slocumb procedure to tighten my MCL), 06 (ACL and lateral release), and 07(lateral release by a much better doctor evidently). All is good now, but I wonder if it will knock me out of being considered no matter how well i do on the written exam. Any thoughts? Thx!

Forum Member

A lot of dept dont / cant care to much as long as your good to go at the time of the physicial. Prolly been sued before so some might be forbidden from even asking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Knee

Roddam,

It depends on the department you go to work for. Some can make it very difficult and can choose to medically disqualify you on that information but you have the option to appeal and have your Dr. say you are fit for duty. As long as another Dr. says you are fit for duty it takes the responsibility off the department.
    Some departments will hire you with the knowledge that you have a bad knee so that 20 years down the line you cant say you want disability for that injury.

Most departments do a physical and when they see something they dont like they want all the info from your Dr. about the incedent.
    When and if you are looking to get hired go to your orthopedist get all the information about your surgeries and have him write a letter saying that you are fit for physical duty. So when you go for your medical you are not given the run around (stalled) and miss out on an opportunity.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Ok, thx to the both of you. I guess I will take my surgery records to the physical with me if I make it that far.

Forum Member

If you have the slightest concern for a medical problem, have the leading expert in this field of medicine (no, not just your family doctor) evaluate your condition. If they feel youre fit for duty, have them give you a letter.

If the situation comes up during your medical, then and only then, produce the letter. The goal is not being DQd during the medical and having to fight the doctors later to get back in.

Much has changed since the Aid to Disabled Americans (ADA) went into law. Depending on the situation some agencies will accept a pre-existing medical condition and set a base line for any future injuries. Pretty cool eh?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    If you have the slightest concern for a medical problem, have the leading expert in this field of medicine (no, not just your family doctor) evaluate your condition. If they feel youre fit for duty, have them give you a letter.

If the situation comes up during your medical, then and only then, produce the letter. The goal is not being DQd during the medical and having to fight the doctors later to get back in.

Much has changed since the Aid to Disabled Americans (ADA) went into law. Depending on the situation some agencies will accept a pre-existing medical condition and set a base line for any future injuries. Pretty cool eh?

Yea, ADA may wind up helping me actually. I initially messed this thing up while in the Marine Corps. I do receive a whopping 10% disability from the VA for it and have received that since 1992. Also, the VA is 100% responsible for my knee now matter what happens to it from now on so I cant see the dept being held liable for it if anything strange was to happen in the future.

Hopefully all will be good. First things first though, I have to pass the written in November. Then go from there.

Forum Member

You best day is to have a complete evaluation of your knee by a big name authority and if they find you fit for duty have them write you a letter that you can present to the doc that will extinguish his concerns if this situation comes up.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 09-29-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post

Listen to CB, he has very good advice.

Thread Information