Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Seagrave lays off staff

Seagrave appears to be getting smaller and smaller.

http://www.shawanoleader.com/article...news/news2.txt

Hope they started with the guy who cost them a 30 million plus contract for fdny aerials...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfTL41 View Post
    Hope they started with the guy who cost them a 30 million plus contract for fdny aerials...
    You ever consider that companies large and small are all affected by the economic situation?

And if you are a firefighter, perhaps even on your purchasing committee you'll figure out by now that you too are affected, equipment training and even salaries in every market are being affected, don't think this is a direct result of the loss of the FDNY contract, it just may not be the case.

Good luck to the dozen or so who are out of work

Personally, while its bad for those 12 workers...reducing the Seagrave sales, purchasing, engineering and production staffs by 12 is not huge.

I get the feeling that in NJ, Seagrave is in trouble. Recently dropped a few dealerships and concentrated on only 1 in NJ now. And I believe that 1 is also a Toyne dealer...or at least was.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

12 people. Oh dear, what will they do.

I find it interesting that someone joins, posts this, and that's it.

Didn't Pierce lay some people off earlier.

I would be surprised to find many companies not laying off staff in America right now.

Forum Member

Could be one of the 12.

Forum Member

looks like they have been shut down for a week or so several times in the past few months

Forum Member

Some of the biggest companies in the world are having rolling closures, the GM plant where I live is rotating its people through closures, or using half staff, and sending the others home on half pay.

No one is immune to this issue

MembersZone Subscriber

Rumor has it the Geko might be getting the ax!!!

I live in local area. The 12 positions in the paper where just from the office staff. The company has been laying off shop workers for a while allready. There is like 14 people on the second shift.

Forum Member

In response to the local person posting, do you work for the kool-aid company? If you do shame on you AGAIN! If you are truly concerned, you should be.

The severe economic down turn along with, the 2010 emissions will be playing hell thorough the industry. There have been a rush of orders for 2009 engines, just ask the boys at KME. Next year will be a different story however.

What has happened to the Seagrave company the past year is truly a travesty. Since the stable slow growth days of Jim Green, the company has not seen such incompetence at the very top. Truly gifted and knowledgeable people and whole dealerships have been let go because of one person who doesn't know anything about the fire service, makes snap decisions and is just a plain putz. He comes with college degrees and a seemingly impressive list of qualifications, but to what?

The company has been laying off people and is getting smaller, why, because the fire departments who support the type of heavy duty well built rigs Seagrave is known for, have been driven away. How you say....while before you had to pay extra for a Seagrave, now it's like they are built of a material not known to man, far more expensive than gold. That's what the new administration has brought upon themselves, NO ORDERS! Departments like PG county, and others have turned to look elsewhere. It is a sad situation that won't be rectified until the investment group realizes that they have made a huge mistake.

The loss of the FDNY order is like a knife thru the heart, however FDNY is known to put people out of business.......in the end with all the special warranties and the special hardships FDNY puts on a builder, maybe it won't be such a bad thing. Let the boys down South feel the heat for awhile.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZMastr28 View Post
    In response to the local person posting, do you work for the kool-aid company? If you do shame on you AGAIN! If you are truly concerned, you should be.

The severe economic down turn along with, the 2010 emissions will be playing hell thorough the industry. There have been a rush of orders for 2009 engines, just ask the boys at KME. Next year will be a different story however.

What has happened to the Seagrave company the past year is truly a travesty. Since the stable slow growth days of Jim Green, the company has not seen such incompetence at the very top. Truly gifted and knowledgeable people and whole dealerships have been let go because of one person who doesn't know anything about the fire service, makes snap decisions and is just a plain putz. He comes with college degrees and a seemingly impressive list of qualifications, but to what?

The company has been laying off people and is getting smaller, why, because the fire departments who support the type of heavy duty well built rigs Seagrave is known for, have been driven away. How you say....while before you had to pay extra for a Seagrave, now it's like they are built of a material not known to man, far more expensive than gold. That's what the new administration has brought upon themselves, NO ORDERS! Departments like PG county, and others have turned to look elsewhere. It is a sad situation that won't be rectified until the investment group realizes that they have made a huge mistake.

The loss of the FDNY order is like a knife thru the heart, however FDNY is known to put people out of business.......in the end with all the special warranties and the special hardships FDNY puts on a builder, maybe it won't be such a bad thing. Let the boys down South feel the heat for awhile.
    Hebe strikes again.

And, left Heller behind to finish the job.

Forum Member

This is a joke, investment companies taking over and destroying the soul of VERY proud companies that actually used to make a dollar and very fine pieces of machinery. The chase for the almighty dollar for the investors has taken over common sense. So whats it going to come down to, Pierce and KME and whoever else opens up and lasts a few weeks. Look at Ferrara, they have now been taken over by a management group. How long will they last.

It almost seems like it will get a lot lot worse yet before anything happens. But it seems to be the case everywhere with investor group buyouts.
    It happened in the UK with a builder called TVAC, bought out by an investment company, had massive orders with the like sof the London fire brigade, now, gone, as it wasn't turning a big enough profit for the investment company, now the UK is down to a choice of 2 builders, what a joke.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

MembersZone Subscriber

From my expereince with other appratus other than Seagrave...There will be someone who will rise to the challenge if we are forced to accept rigs from certain manuf. that I won't name as we all know who they are.

The only reason anyone goes out of business on multi million dollar contracts with the FDNY is that they simply didn't do the correct projections and modeling to determined feasability of selling their product at $X cost.

I'm sure if we must endure a few years of substandard rigs from these joints, someone will sieze upon the opportunity and fill the need in the market place with a product and service that is in demand. That is how the free-market works.

Not that Seagrave hasn't had its problems...but they are a step above many of the others I was accustomed to.

I hope the EMS bozo in charge of the fleet did not play a role in this mess.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Hebe strikes again.

And, left Heller behind to finish the job.
    The first person is ancient history now, thankfully. The other isn't quite as high on the food chain. Ever heard the saying "there's a new kid in town"...that's the issue at hand.

Forum Member

Cool Hebe

Quote Originally Posted by ZMastr28 View Post
    The first person is ancient history now, thankfully. The other isn't quite as high on the food chain. Ever heard the saying "there's a new kid in town"...that's the issue at hand.
    Hebe will be back. The wheels are turning as I write this.

Do not ask me how I know this... but he will be back. Not at Seagrave, but another manufacturer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
    Hebe will be back. The wheels are turning as I write this.

Do not ask me how I know this... but he will be back. Not at Seagrave, but another manufacturer.
    What? Don't tell me that Hebe has already trashed Navistar and is now ready to move on and do it to somebody else. Maybe Navistar has had enough of him and ran him off. I got it! He's going back to ALF to get them back on their feet. If that's the case, I'm sure everybody will be lining up to get their orders in for a new LaJunk. The trick will be to find a dealer since they all bailed a couple of years ago.

Talking Motorman Has Motor Mouth

Has the FDNY bid been awarded?
    Seagrave was low bidder but won't give in to FDNY BS regarding proto type and payment terms. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS--especially BS half baked comments

Thread Information