Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pumper8032 View Post
    I assume then that my veiled attempt to say "there are things outside of America" missed it's target, sorry, I will get back to shearing my sheep
    Veiled? Yeah, liked you covered it in sack cloth. Missed your target? By a mile. Apology accepted. Have fun with your sheep

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    NYSP i think has gone to almost all Tahoes /Suburbans because their faster and handle better (surprisingly)

not even close to true. There are still tons of crown vics on the road, and they are still being bought by NYSP.

Forum Member

There was a news story a while back about a NYSP LODD involving a tahoe. It was determined that Tahoes are not intended to be used as pursuit vehicles because of the high center of gravity and poor handling.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82
    There was a news story a while back about a NYSP LODD involving a tahoe. It was determined that Tahoes are not intended to be used as pursuit vehicles because of the high center of gravity and poor handling.
    More than likely, you can call it "Operator Error". Tahoe's should not be used as pursuit vehicles. In fact, any truck or SUV shouldn't be used as a pursuit vehicle.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

The new Ford Taurus will more than likely be the next police cruiser platform for Ford. The 2010 Taurus SHO has a 375 horsepower turbocharged V6.

The E7 from Carbon Motors? I think it will being close to $100K plus for each vehicle.

Pumper 8032.. I wish Ford USA would import the Falcon Ute. I would buy one in a heartbeat!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-02-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Have we spoken to soon about bagging the Holden

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

Have we spoken to soon about bagging the Holden

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html
    Wait, so let me get this straight, because I'm a little confused: They're planning on importing these cars, which are essentially a GM product built down under, and rebadging them as Chevy Caprices, instead of just building them HERE in US factories?!? Gee, what a huge shocker our auto industry and economy is in the toilet.
    Last edited by Chauffer6; 10-05-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Government at it's finest.I'm going to patent a new cranial-rectal inversion reversal tool.Should be a top seller. T.C.

Forum Member

The Holden CAPRICE and Chevy IMPALA are 2 different cars. The Holden is rear wheel drive and the Chevy is front wheel drive. It is interesting though how the same company can build decent, fuel efficient vehicles on other continents but not here.

Forum Member

I can't see why they don't build these in the GM factories in the US, all they need is to tool the factories to suit this car, and build it over in the US, but I guess you make a valid point, what is the auto industry doing in the US when they have to import police cars. I find it more amusing that we have a clause in our fleet purchasing over here that the government cars have to be Australian made.....

I have no problem whatsoever with you guys down under...Australia or New Zealand. You're some of the nicest people I've ever known, and if we're going to import stuff and send our $$$ overseas, I'd much rather it go to you guys than communist China.

The point is that it's just absurd that the Holden is more or less a GM/US product, and now the talk is of importing what is basically our own products? Great for you guys, but bad for the auto workers stateside. I just think given the bad economic climate here, especially the downfall of the US auto industry, GM in particular...that it's a slap in the face to import these cars instead of building them here.

BTW, I'm not sure that article is very accurate to begin with. "20,000 cars" for LA??? That seems a bit...much...unless they're talking about a very long term contract to build/ship X amount per year for X amount of years.

Another article about them. Still doesn't make it clear if they'll be built stateside or down under.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...ice/index.html

Forum Member

As far as I can work out, they are still working out where to build them. The hassle is, that its an Australian designed and built car, nothing to do with the Americans, and our government has invested a lot of money into getting these cars built. If they were to be built over in the US they would have to re-tool the US lines.

The contract is for 10 years as I understand, some creative writing has made it sound like they want them all now.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't see why they don't build these in the GM factories in the US, all they need is to tool the factories to suit this car, and build it over in the US, but I guess you make a valid point, what is the auto industry doing in the US when they have to import police cars. I find it more amusing that we have a clause in our fleet purchasing over here that the government cars have to be Australian made.....
    Because auto industry union contracts make US labor not competitive or affordable. Biggest problem is the huge health insurance costs of retirees.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Police Car

A very interesting article Chauffer6. I think the operative word in the article is "large". The article says similar to the Pontiac G8 but larger. I consider the Pontiac G8 to be a mid-size car. Not in the same class as a full size Crown Vic. Don't know how much larger is "large". But having a chevy V-8 and rear wheel drive goes a long way to make it a "real" police crusier.

The Aussies are probably better equipped to develop lower volume specialty cars than US based Government Motors. Heck, thay can't even make Saturn work and they have some very nice vehicles.

And GM in the US will never be competative until they unload the huge retirement and health care burdan. What happened after Chapter 11?? They will unload all of that burdan on the US tax payers if Obama Care passes!

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Because auto industry union contracts make US labor not competitive or affordable. Biggest problem is the huge health insurance costs of retirees.
    Those retirees made a boatload of money for GM before the "bean counters" took over and ruined the company.

And GM in the US will never be competative until they unload the huge retirement and health care burdan. What happened after Chapter 11?? They will unload all of that burdan on the US tax payers if Obama Care passes!
    My father in law is a GM retiree who worked on the assembly line at GM Framingham. When GM went chapter 11, his benefits went south... deep south.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-12-2009 at 10:51 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Having driven the Holden Caprice and Statesman I can vouch for the fact they are MUCH bigger than the Commodore/G8. I don't think you will have an issue with those models.

I mean its good for Australia that we get to build them, but it just goes to show how crazy things are right now.

holy schit Darren,they LET you drive Go Fast cars?hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Yeah they do, and they let me drive them on the correct side of the road to.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Wrong Side

Isn't that what sparked the American Revolution in 1776 against the English? The pesky Brits wanted us to drive our horse and buggys on the wrong side of the road! ! !

Thread Information