Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default New FD Starting...Need Equipment!

I apologize if this is not the right category, but it seemed like the best fit. The small, unincorporated community in middle Tennessee where I live is attempting to start its own new VFD. I am helping with the effort, and have been requested to be the fire chief when this gets off the ground due to my experience. I am a career police chief, and have been a VFD chief for several years.
    As with most VFDs, we are starting from scratch! Our charter and incorporation is in place with the state, and our 501(c)(3) is pending with the IRS. We have had a couple small fund raisers, and we have the land donated to build a station.

I have written several successful FEMA/AFG grants in the past, but obviously it is going to be tough to get approval for any grants until we get off the ground running calls and get the numbers built up. We did not apply for the fire station construction grant because we were not chartered at that time.

I am seeking any equipment donations from you all. Again, we are starting from nothing, so we will take anything from hydrant wrenches to apparatus, and everything in between! Anyone who can help or has questions, suggestion, or equipment is welcome to e-mail or call me at pr24@cafes.net or 615-708-0069. I will travel to come pick up items or pay for shipping on smaller things. Thank you all and stay safe!!

I left you a voice message - help is on the way!

Forum Member

Default Response

I sent you an email to contact me, i know we have a few (10-20) sets of turnout gear and some other things around

Quote Originally Posted by pr24fd56 View Post
    I apologize if this is not the right category, but it seemed like the best fit. The small, unincorporated community in middle Tennessee where I live is attempting to start its own new VFD. I am helping with the effort, and have been requested to be the fire chief when this gets off the ground due to my experience. I am a career police chief, and have been a VFD chief for several years.
    As with most VFDs, we are starting from scratch! Our charter and incorporation is in place with the state, and our 501(c)(3) is pending with the IRS. We have had a couple small fund raisers, and we have the land donated to build a station.

I have written several successful FEMA/AFG grants in the past, but obviously it is going to be tough to get approval for any grants until we get off the ground running calls and get the numbers built up. We did not apply for the fire station construction grant because we were not chartered at that time.

I am seeking any equipment donations from you all. Again, we are starting from nothing, so we will take anything from hydrant wrenches to apparatus, and everything in between! Anyone who can help or has questions, suggestion, or equipment is welcome to e-mail or call me at pr24@cafes.net or 615-708-0069. I will travel to come pick up items or pay for shipping on smaller things. Thank you all and stay safe!!
    Where in TN are you located?

MembersZone Subscriber mmcneill's Avatar

Check your email. I have several SCBAs that I can let your dept have.

I wish I had known this last night and I could have brought them to you as I am in Clarksville, TN until tomorrow.
    Last edited by mmcneill; 09-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmathis View Post
    Where in TN are you located?
    Clint the phone number looks like cell number out of Nashville. We need to see if he is near us for sure.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmcneill View Post
    Check your email. I have several SCBAs that I can let your dept have.

I wish I had known this last night and I could have brought them to you as I am in Clarksville, TN until tomorrow.
    Wish I was there. I have found out I am too old to be running Bourbon St. I should be back in town by lunch tomorrow

Cmathis and WJVaughn,
    I am in Marshall County (county seat is Lewisburg), not too
    terribly far from Dickson County

Thanks to you all for the responses so far!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sir,

here is some suggestions for equipment and or trucks. Hope it helps

Federal Excess Personal Property Utilization Program and the Federal Surplus Personal Property Donation Program operated by the General Services Administration http://gsaxcess.gov/
    User ID is 124403 and password is usda.

I do not know if Tennessee is involved in the D.O.D. program but is worth checking into as it's a few steps above the F.E.P.P. mentioned above and should be same contact for your states DNR program.

With these programs you will need to see what your state contact will only as you could get everything on loan the the federal government including fire trucks.

I'm including some links about what the program can do, also I looked up your contacts for Tennessee and if current they would be
    State VFA Coordinator
    John Kirksey
    Tennessee Division of Foresty
    440 Hogan Road
    Nashville, TN 37220

(615) 837-5425
    Fax: (615) 837-5129

john.kirksey@state.tn.us

or
    State FEPP Coordinator
    Jeff Piatt
    Tennessee Division of Forestry
    440 Hogan Road
    Nashville, TN 37220

(615) 837-5091

Fax: (615) 837-5129

jeffrey.piatt@state.tn.us

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/con...e=GSA_CONTACTS

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/con...Id=10058&noc=T

MembersZone Subscriber

More suggestions

http://www.govdeals.com/eas/

http://www.ifrm2007.com/ Could can them and see if they can help

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm located just west of you in Maury County. We don't have much excess equipment, but might have a few items for you. You can contact me @ mcfdrichey@gmail.com with your needs. We are also in the same process you are at the North end of our county in the Bethel Community. They have conducted several fundraisers also, we definately feel your pain!!
    Last edited by mcfdrichey25; 10-01-2009 at 11:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

chief I found this today as I've been on the look out for you post

http://www.jimbeam.com/terryfarrellfund.aspx

The Terry Farrell Firefighters Fund helps those who need it most. That's why Jim Beamģ is helping them. They don't have a telethon. They don't seek the spotlight. They collect unused firefighting equipment and give it to underfunded fire stations. They award scholarships to firefighters' kids. We champion The Stuff Inside and we found it driving families of injured firefighters to the hospital. We're helping the Terry Farrell Firefighters Fund. Donate. Volunteer. Swing by your local fire station with a pizza and say thanks.

Thanks, Dew, I will check into it!

Thread Information