Forum Member

Default Background Check & Job History

I am finishing my last year of High School,
    and I have e-mailed the fire recruiter in my e-mail a couple times,
    and she told me what I need as far as courses in college..

But I understand that you will take a polygraph test, I do not have any type of criminal record, just one citation for skateboarding..

But I have smoked marijuana a good amount of times, but by the time I will take the polygraph it would have been about 2 years since.. I could pass a drug test now, and I do not plan on doing it ever again, but I figured this question would be asked on the polygraph test, which I know is best to answer honestly that I have, but this would not mess up my chances right? Also I have used extasy about 3 times.. This was about a year ago, just mistakes that I have made.. Will all of these questions be asked on that test?

Also, I have only had one previous job as a waiter as a restaurant, so I did not know if it would look bad if I do not have a lot of job history?

Thanks

Forum Member

Just be completely honest with the background interviewer. I have taken 3 polygraphs test for the 6 departments that I have test for, the other 3 didnít give polygraphs. Here is how my polygraph went.

1. I filled out a background questionnaire. This is basically where you come clean about all of your drug use or anything else that the department might ask. I mean all of it. Be completely honest.
    2. Next I was interviewed about the questionnaire. This was an in-depth interview. The interviewer was digging, trying to make me admit to something that I did not list or trip me up a make me lie. That was pretty easy because I had nothing to lie about and I was completely honest. This is the part that could get you if you lie.
    3. Next I was hooked up to the machine and they ask a series of questions. Each one of the polygraph test that I have take have asked about past drug use or illegal activity. The tester also asks if you have knowingly withheld detrimental information or if I was trying to beat the test.

Look, Iíve read a few of you post on here. Donít worry about the polygraph. If what you have posted on here is the truth, then you should have much to worry about. Keep you nose clean and stay out of trouble. As long as you can say that the drug use was in your past and you can demonstrate that you have matured and grown since then you should be ok. I know maturity level is something that my department looks at when it is hiring younger applicants. If you donít make it the first time, keep applying. Remember, you just need a chance to get your foot in the door. Apply to as many departments as you can.

Permanently Removed

Dylan- From here on out, everything needs to be positive and squeaky clean- No more weed, keep the work history clean/solid and protect your credit history.

And the next subject that needs to be addressed- drinking. Before you get caught up with the wrong crowd, party or get buzzed- If you screwed up with alcohol, you might not be the top candidate. Please enjoy, but do not abuse the alcohol. And NEVER drink and drive, or you are done.

There is more info at www.eatstress.com on testing, poly and other testing tips.

Good luck, Bou

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

Like on the questionnaire and poly do they ask how many times of each? Because I probably could not no an exact amount, weed was a good amount, and like i said the pills maybe about 3 times.

And I am not a drinker, never have been, and probably wont be even when I am of age.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DylanFla View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Like on the questionnaire and poly do they ask how many times of each? Because I probably could not no an exact amount, weed was a good amount, and like i said the pills maybe about 3 times.

And I am not a drinker, never have been, and probably wont be even when I am of age.
    Yes, typically they will ask how ofter and when the last time you took it was.

The guy at the police station who interviewed me and did my polygraph told me that they hire people who have experimented with drugs. He stressed to me that they did NOT hire liars.

Don't lie.

Every department will have a different standard. Some don't allow certain drugs to have even been in your possession. Some allow you to have tried a drug within 1 year. Who knows. Lying at all during the polygraph, about anything, will fail you though.

Forum Member

Alright, well I guess I would have to give my best estimate on how many times? or how long..
    honestly the marijuana was for about almost a year.. so I know that is not just "experimenting" ..

Thread Information