1. #1
    Forum Member
    TruckSixFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!
    Posts
    246

    Default Leather Radio Strap?

    Who uses a leather radio strap? If you don't use one how do you carry your portable? I my self always use a radio strap.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

    (W-6)

    "We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

    "let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

    D-P-T

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    Who uses a leather radio strap? If you don't use one how do you carry your portable? I my self always use a radio strap.
    I use the belt clip on mine. When i put on a turnout, i put it in the radio pocket. Was never a fan of anything hanging over my shoulder and worrying about getting it snagged.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northeast Coast
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I use the belt clip on mine. When i put on a turnout, i put it in the radio pocket. Was never a fan of anything hanging over my shoulder and worrying about getting it snagged.
    We wear the leather radio strap below the coat. No snagging. All officers carry a second radio in the turnout radio pocket.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    White Plains, NY
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Ya I wear is under my coat and snake the remote mike out the front to the mic tab. We only use one channel for fireground and the IC monitors that channel so there is no need to switch. I have seen the nylon ones that i don;t really like. I prefer the Leather strap with a mic tap on it for when i am not wearing my coat.
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    We have no set policy. The crew I'm on all wears a radio strap. We all like them and wonder how we got along without them. The other two crews don't use them except for one guy. They all carry them in a case on a belt loop or in their back pocket with out a case. When in gear they all carry them in their coat.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Radio strap-leather (it doesnt melt) under the coat as aforementioned.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,682

    Default

    Personally, no strap. Radio goes in coat pocket on left side of chest and mic clips on a loop above that.

    If not wearing the coat...goes in bunker pants pocket and mic gets clipped on suspenders.


    Many of my other officer wear the strap. Almost all of them on the outside of their coat.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I wear mine under the coat at fires. Accidents, I usually forget and put it over my coat...no big deal.

    The portables we have on the trucks do not have speaker mics and I hated having to dig the damn thing out of my radio pocket when i needed to talk.

    I love my speaker mic.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Thumbs up

    thought I would hate it............I love it !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    HeavyRescueTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    with a coat on, no strap; radio goes in coat radio pocket, speaker mike gets wrapped around neck and clipped to jacket flap right below collar. no snag hazard, and it is kept taught around the back of my neck without a choking hazard.

    with bunkers only, just like bones, radio in the bunker pants pocket, clipped to suspenders.

    with simple uniform, I might borrow a radio strap, or use my personal swivel radio holster and not use a speaker mic.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

    FF/EMT/DBP

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Tried a radio strap but didn't like it bouncing around all the time and the darn hand mike wouldn't stay put.

    I use my radio pocket on my turnout coat and belt clip with my uniform. We have a tab for the hand mike to clip on and it stays put pretty well.

    Just a matter of what you like and what you feel comfortable with I guess.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Wheaton IL
    Posts
    1,765

    Default

    Love my radio strap. I wear it under the coat with the bottom of the radio just below the coat so it is easy to reach under to change freq.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    Love my radio strap. I wear it under the coat with the bottom of the radio just below the coat so it is easy to reach under to change freq.
    Thats what I do. I got the XL strap....I am not a tall guy at 5' 10" but its nice when i throw it under the turnouts and i let it out a bit so I dont have to lift up my jacket to change channels.

    For those of you with the straps, do you have/use the anti sway strap?

    Personally, I use it all the time.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Ca.
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Under coat, mic clipped to coat flap. Easy as that. No snags no fus

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Thats what I do. I got the XL strap....I am not a tall guy at 5' 10" but its nice when i throw it under the turnouts and i let it out a bit so I dont have to lift up my jacket to change channels.

    For those of you with the straps, do you have/use the anti sway strap?

    Personally, I use it all the time.
    NO. The only time I use the anti-sway is non-fire and EMS runs so it doesnt clunk a patient in the head. I dont keep it clipped to my nelt loop until i actually feel i need it. This way i dont have to tangle with it if i have to get my turnouts on for a fire run. If you wear the radio strap as designed, under your coat, it isnt necessary to use an anti sway strap for firefighting.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    NO. The only time I use the anti-sway is non-fire and EMS runs so it doesnt clunk a patient in the head. I dont keep it clipped to my nelt loop until i actually feel i need it. This way i dont have to tangle with it if i have to get my turnouts on for a fire run. If you wear the radio strap as designed, under your coat, it isnt necessary to use an anti sway strap for firefighting.
    I'm sorry, let me revise what I said......I usually only wear my radio on calls anyway, not around the station, so if it is on, and we are on an ems call the sway strap gets hooked. But if we are on a fire, it is obviously not attached.

    Sorry about the confusion!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  17. #17
    Oh Thank Heaven for SQ27
    SquadCaptain27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burlington County, NJ
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Under the coat - no sway strap

    Used to just use my radio pocket. I went head over heels once down a flight of steps, radio slid right out and was gone until found during overhaul.

    Just too much of a lifeline to trust to a little piece of velcro ever again. IMHO

    Sean Desjardins, Captain
    Westampton Township Emergency Services
    http://www.westamptonfire.org

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    I use my anti-sway strap 99% of the time.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Don't wear one, because there aren't radios for everyone and it looks silly wearing an empty strap. Also the radios are kept in the trucks so by the time it would come time to grab a radio there's too much gear on to slip it under your coat. I just jam it in a pants pocket and wrap the speaker mic behind my neck.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    41

    Default I used the search function this time...

    Quote Originally Posted by SquadCaptain27 View Post
    Under the coat - no sway strap

    Used to just use my radio pocket. I went head over heels once down a flight of steps, radio slid right out and was gone until found during overhaul.

    Just too much of a lifeline to trust to a little piece of velcro ever again. IMHO
    I agree!!! I figured I might dig this thread up cause its something I have been debating over. I like my strap, but sometimes it is cumbersome when under my gear. I would NEVER wear it on the outside, so I tried the radio pocket on the turn outs, which is where my webbing usually is. I just wory about that chincy piece of velcro coming lose!

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I started using one about a year ago. I've liked it most of the time, however I have had a few problems.

    I'm right handed and used to carry my radio on the right (dumb I know). On one particular fire this spring I was on the tip and only had one other guy on the line with me, so about half of the work of advancing the line fell to me.

    Long story short my radio got turned off while pulling hose. Bad timing as my fellow firefighter and I were often seperated on the line by a good distance (he had to keep going back down the stairs to pull more line for us). I badly needed a second line upstairs, but couldn't call for it and I wasn't about to shut down the line to feel around for the on/off switch while the fire was still kicking our teeth in.

    I have since switched it to a left side configuration and havn't had any problems.

    One final note. I usually use it on EMS calls as well. Works out fine on most calls, but I have had one Pt with an altered mental status grab it and try to pull me. I was able to convince him that it was a bad idea to do so through an agressive negotiations process, but that's probably a subject for a self defense forum (does firehouse have one of those?) Anyway I no linger wear it on calls involving any potential for violence, drunks, diabetics, etc...

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiron View Post
    I started using one about a year ago. I've liked it most of the time, however I have had a few problems.

    I'm right handed and used to carry my radio on the right (dumb I know). On one particular fire this spring I was on the tip and only had one other guy on the line with me, so about half of the work of advancing the line fell to me.

    Long story short my radio got turned off while pulling hose. Bad timing as my fellow firefighter and I were often seperated on the line by a good distance (he had to keep going back down the stairs to pull more line for us). I badly needed a second line upstairs, but couldn't call for it and I wasn't about to shut down the line to feel around for the on/off switch while the fire was still kicking our teeth in.

    I have since switched it to a left side configuration and havn't had any problems.

    One final note. I usually use it on EMS calls as well. Works out fine on most calls, but I have had one Pt with an altered mental status grab it and try to pull me. I was able to convince him that it was a bad idea to do so through an agressive negotiations process, but that's probably a subject for a self defense forum (does firehouse have one of those?) Anyway I no linger wear it on calls involving any potential for violence, drunks, diabetics, etc...
    That reason of Pts pulling on it was one reason why I was toying with the idea of not using it... Just a question though, why did you comment on it being a "dumb idea" to wear the strap to the right? Is it because of most people handling hose on the right?

  23. #23
    MembersZone Subscriber
    capt127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default

    love my radio strap i wear it over my coat then i put my scba on so it stays snug and is easy to change channels if need be

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Rescueman,

    Perhapse I should have chosen different words, but in short, yes. We have a bunch of guys that use them on my shift. Some are under the coat guys, some over, but most of them wear them on the off hand side to prevent the radio from accidently being turned off and/or the channel being changed while advancing hose or performing other right hand oriented tasks.

    I haven't had a problem since I changed it over to the left side. I agree with the others that it really does make life easier for changing channels, and keeping the mic in a ready and useful position during an incident.

    The Pt. grabbing problem is an easy fix. When in doubt don't use it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is A Radio Strap An Entanglement Issue?
    By Drama911dotcom in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 09:36 PM
  2. Old subject, need new help - Radio Strap
    By mark440 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
  3. Leather Radio Strap Use
    By o2cr125mx in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 10:16 AM
  4. Radio strap vs. Radio pocket or belt clip?
    By fireman4949 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 08:01 PM
  5. FDNY radio strap
    By BLSboy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 01:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register