Thread: Camp Pendelton

Forum Member

Default Camp Pendelton

I just put in for a Paramedic slot at Camp Pendelton. This is a non Firefighter position. I'm guessing that they integrated EMS with fire now or can anyone advise me of the details? It says a "typical" workweek is 72 hours working 730 am to 730pm every other day. Obviously this is a typo. It is listed as a GS-9 when normally a Federal Paramedic is a GS-7.

Any details???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman53d View Post
    I just put in for a Paramedic slot at Camp Pendelton. This is a non Firefighter position. I'm guessing that they integrated EMS with fire now or can anyone advise me of the details? It says a "typical" workweek is 72 hours working 730 am to 730pm every other day. Obviously this is a typo. It is listed as a GS-9 when normally a Federal Paramedic is a GS-7.

Any details???
    what is the series #?

Forum Member

It is a 0640(medical) not the 0081 of a fire position. There is obviously a few things going on but I just don't know what. The only GS-9(actually GL-9) paramedics that I'm aware of are in the Federal Prison system.

The is a Federal change in Fire/EMS to integrate Paramedics into the Fire service. What it is really doing is putting ALS EMS on post. The process that this is to be done is for
    a) Posts that do not have ALS EMS and a hospital on site.
    b) Posts that do have ALS EMS but not a hospital on site.
    c) Posts that do not have both ALS EMS and a hospital on post.

Now when this will happen or a timeline, well I don't know. It has already started happeding on a few other posts where EMS is stationed with Fire at the stations spread out over the post. EMS now falls under MEDDAC not DES so we are stationed in the hospital(sucks) for the most part and we work 8 or 12 hour shifts.
    Getting back on 24 hour shifts would be a godsend even though the 72 hour workweek 24/24 doesn't thrill me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure on the schedule, but ALL the medics I know are 9's, so that part is correct.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

There are Firefighter Paramedics in the the DOD and they work in 0081 series and are GS-9. Fort Lewis has them. They are the 4th person on the Engine, so on an ALS response you get a Paramedic Firefighter from the Engine and and a Paramedic from the hospital responding in the Orange and white box. The paramedic from the hospital will be the fat out of shape one.

Forum Member

Default Paramedic pay

I work at Camp Lejeune and we have GS-9 FF/EMT-P positions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XFedFF View Post
    The paramedic from the hospital will be the fat out of shape one.
    LOL, and usually true.

Forum Member

The 0640 Paramedics at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. are GS-09's.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

But a GS-09 0081 Series and a GS-9 0640 Series do not pay the same. Any 24 Hr 0081 series or Shift work 0081 that is a Firefighter are under the Special Firefighter pay formula and make way more and pay more into retirement.

Forum Member

What is so special about the Firefighters pay schedule?? You work 144 hours biweekly, your first 106 hours are straight and the next 38 hours are OT correct?
    Firefighters are exempt under FLSA so they get OT after 53 hours per week unless negotiated differently.
    EMS (Paramedic,EMT) that do not engage in fire suppression are however non exempt so FLSA of OT starts after 40 hours.

Assuming they are both on the same workweek of 72 hours(144 biweekly), that GS-9 Paramedic would actually make more correct?

Thers are GS-7 paramedics at a few bases that work 24 hour shifts and still use the "chinese math" method of overtime calculation.
    That brings me to my original questio. I know they are GS-9,on a 72 hour workweek but I don't know how they do the math for ot.

Forum Member

Default Camp Pendleton

Dude, think long and hard before accepting a position there. If you want to be a federal firefighter/paramedic go somewhere else as you will not be one there. They used to be Firefighter/Paramedic GS-0081-09 and they recently converted them back to GS-0640-09. With the conversion, you lose money because you get like a "stand by" pay for part of your pay so it is not good. You will not get the FF retirement, you will not get the FF enhanced pay, so I guess it all depends what your goals are. If you are looking for stability, then the feds is a great place to work. Search back through the forums and you will find that there is as animosity between the other firefighters and the medics.....

I dont work there, for the record.

Little history for you.... The USMC began using GS0081 FF/PM around 1996. They were the first and now bases are starting to integrate ALS into their programs. A few places use ALS Engines or Quick Response Vehicles, but the majority use Medic/EMT combo on the box. Most USMC bases are ALS now, and it is becoming more common on the Navy bases. Army is just starting, in fact Yuma Proving Grounds is hiring and they will train you on the fire side.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

Good info and thanks. I cannot go 0081 cause of my age(38) so a GS-9 would be 2 steps up from my current GS-7.
    A recent conversation with some fire officers that they just became aware of a lawsuit (Isabella v. Department of State) and that they had a meeting with CPOC. CPOC stated that they will send all qualified apps up regardless of age and getting a waiver isn't a big deal. We'll see.

Where do you see postings for Yuma Proving Grounds hiring Medics only and will train for fire?

Forum Member

Default Camp Pendleton

Pendleton's paramedic billets are now full. The window opened and shut quickly. As far as job series, FFPM0081 has part it right, but not the whole picture.

The paramedic program was always under the 0640 series. However, all were paid the same way that 0081s were paid. Some medics completed their DoD fire training and converted to FF, but some have not. In early 2009 the "powers that be" adjusted the 0640 pay, and earnings are now calculated based on the "standby pay" rules under the Code of Federal Regulations. So the medics who hadn't yet converted to FF/PM are getting boned on pay and retirement.

However, there are FF/PMs and there will be more as the remaining 0640s convert. It's a big mess but hopefully resolution is not far away.

There's really no "animosity" between FFs and PMs, the issue lies with Captains being GS-8s more than anything else. A couple Captains have tried to make the case (rightly so) that they should at least be GS9s in order to supervise a GS-9 medic on their engine. The government's answer is that when a medic is doing medic stuff, they are the authority, and when they are doing FF stuff, the Captain is the authority. Basically it comes down to the govt saving money rather than doing the right thing and making Captains GS9s.

The bottom line is that this is all just growing pains. Pendleton is experiencing what the city and county guys went through years ago with respect to bringing ALS into the fire department, albeit in the twisted way that things seem to happen in the Fed system. It will all get worked out, and it's a great department to work for despite the growing pains.

Forum Member

for anyone that work as or with GS-9 0081 medic/ffers... do the medics have a different career path than just the firefighters/engineers/lts/capts? I would imagine that somebody gets hired as a GS-9 ff/medic, they just cant apply for a GS-8/capt or lt job at said base... just curious because that seems to be a big holdup on alot of places wanting to go to ALS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    for anyone that work as or with GS-9 0081 medic/ffers... do the medics have a different career path than just the firefighters/engineers/lts/capts? I would imagine that somebody gets hired as a GS-9 ff/medic, they just cant apply for a GS-8/capt or lt job at said base... just curious because that seems to be a big holdup on alot of places wanting to go to ALS.
    Paramedics at Lejeune do have a couple of different career paths. Currently they have GS-10 paramedic supervisors one per shift that runs a QRV. There is also a EMS Chief.

Forum Member

Anyone else remember the days when all the EMS on base was provided by Active Duty Medics and Corpsmen?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information