MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boy rescued from burning building NYC.....

http://www.wapt.com/video/21170409/i...tml?source=CNN

I'm glad the boy was saved and I think the man who brought him down did a very brave thing. However, my question is my is there a civilian up there taking the boy down when there is FD on scene?

Forum Member

um how about $hit was on and he wanted to get the kid out and 2nd due wasnt there yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    um how about $hit was on and he wanted to get the kid out and 2nd due wasnt there yet.
    You know for a fact 2nd due wasnít there? Apparently they had time to put up a ladder truck, make an interior search, had a firefighter on the fire escape above him and one walking up the escape below him. I am not trying to quarterback this, just curious. I applaud the man for what he did, just curious as to how it played out...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Just guessing but I think you misread his post John lol....

The civilian had no place on that fire escape, but its too late, the news stations have already branded him a hero for "rescuing" the kid.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    You know for a fact 2nd due wasnít there? Apparently they had time to put up a ladder truck, make an interior search, had a firefighter on the fire escape above him and one walking up the escape below him. I am not trying to quarterback this, just curious. I applaud the man for what he did, just curious as to how it played out...

Just as an FYI, there are plenty of times when the aerial has been put up, a search has already been started, and the OV has made his way to the fire escape before 2nd due gets there.

Forum Member

What I do find disturbing and frankly disgusting is the fact that firehouse.com went along with the charade and branded the man a hero for "rescuing" the kid. I guess the real story isnt even important to firemen, ehh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    What I do find disturbing and frankly disgusting is the fact that firehouse.com went along with the charade and branded the man a hero for "rescuing" the kid. I guess the real story isnt even important to firemen, ehh?
    They've been drinkin' the Koolaid for a while now bro.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that Firehouse.com is just an extension of a publishing company. I doubt that too many guys who are responsible for the site and the news have much to do with the fire service at all. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that other than the guys who write articles for the magazine, there are not a lot of firefighters involved.

Personally I can honestly say that I don't remember the last time I looked at the frontpage. I'm just here for the forums.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

It is what it is ... but man lose the blanket ... its tripping hazard. I thought he was going to down !

Forum Member

i read that question as more of a how does a civilian get on the fire escape while the FD is there?

The video starts a little late, but it looks more like the civilian snatched the kid from the firefighter or the firefighter had to guide both of them out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    i read that question as more of a how does a civilian get on the fire escape while the FD is there?
    The same way they can get on there if we aren't there...the drop ladder.

The guy should'nt have been there..but many times there is only so much one can do with limited manpower and many other pressing issues. The guy was doing ok until he started screwing around one flight down. (whole video on You Tube)

The video starts a little late, but it looks more like the civilian snatched the kid from the firefighter or the firefighter had to guide both of them out.
    It would have been a chore getting him down the escape while wearing the Mask...climbing without a body and just ones gear and be a trial in and of itself.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Just as an FYI, there are plenty of times when the aerial has been put up, a search has already been started, and the OV has made his way to the fire escape before 2nd due gets there.
    Sorry, I really have no experience with aerials. My dept does not have an aerial and none of the other county volunteer deptís have one either. However the career dept within the county have a 135 foot ladder truck and a 95 foot platform, but I have no real experience with them. I know it doesnít take too long to set the truck up but I did not know exactly how long. I only have experience with pumpers and tankers.

Forum Member

Default Hero Complex Gone Awry

Johnny, NYck, Fred-
    I agree with you guys. I saw this on ABC the other night when the story broke. The teaser didn't show the FDNY hand-off, but the regular segment did. It irritated the dogsh*t out of me that this cat is being hailed a hero when FDNY made the grab. Here's a newsflash- If the kid isn't breathing, how about getting him off the fire escape to EMS to save his life. Forget the grand-standing "He's OK" to the crowd stuff.

They also played it this morning on CNN.

Forum Member

that is pretty disgusting they are pumping that guy up to be something great when the Firefighter did the real work. Guess its easier to cut staffing levels when you make it look like the civilians can do our job better than we can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Life safety is the number one responsibility for a firefighter and having the man take the boy down was putting both the boy and him in danger.

Forum Member

Its also abandonment if the civie isn't trained to a equal or higher level of medical training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by owenscott View Post
    Its also abandonment if the civie isn't trained to a equal or higher level of medical training.

no, its not abandonment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by karate460 View Post
    Life safety is the number one responsibility for a firefighter and having the man take the boy down was putting both the boy and him in danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by owenscott
    Just so we can put your expert advice into contex...when is the last time either of you made a grab? And how often do you work off a fire escape?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I'm sure that if the FF had his IFSTA Essentials manual with him, he would have consulted it and noticed the life safety and abandonment concerns.

With as much smoke as was pouring from that window, he probably just saw a pair of hands and passed the kid off. Anyway that the kid gets out of that situation quicker is alright with me. Crowd control is for police, and we gotta do what needs to be done.
    Last edited by battlecomedown; 10-03-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Forum Member

Am I just missing the joke, or are you two actually serious?

Forum Member

lol .

MembersZone Subscriber

As if the suggestions above weren't amusing enough....consider the following.

We have a number of members who aren't CFR-D certified...most of whom are in Ladder Companies which don't take in CFR runs.

So in this fantasy world of "abandonment"...the 2nd Due Ladder searching the top floor of a browstone with a fire on the parlor floor finds a victim in the deadmans room. They decide due to conditions and circumstances it would be easiest to remove the victim via the bucket of the Tower Ladder out front being operated by the OVM who isn't CFR-D trained.

So it would be impermissible to hand off in this world? What difference does it make?

The same could be said for taking a victim down an elevator with the OVM and a Irons man who aren't CFR-Trained if the man who made grab was CFR-Trained?

What color is the sky in your world?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Sorry what.....? You just made a cheerio shoot out of my nose....
    IACOJ Member

Back In Black

Abandonment??? Holy crap, that's bizarre.

Hey, the civilian stepped up and helped the FF out. I wouldn't encourage it, but at least he stepped up. Most people are content to watch and take video... and hope they catch something "newsworthy" or tragic.

I'm sure the FF's don't want/need the recognition.

As for the critics, think about it... he passed off the kid and was able to go back and search further. He probably thought the guy was MOS off-duty a cop or the kids relative... who knows.

Great job to the FF's and good job to the civvie.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default Youtube video link

Thread Information