Default phoshate ester fluid

is hurst phosphate ester fluid compatible with phoenix power unit?

Forum Member

Default I don't think so......

Phoenix tools use a water glycol mixture whitch is a combination of water and glycol. Which is basically antifreeze...give or take. The Phoenix tools are sleeved with a steel sleeve to prevent the water in the mixture from pitting the aluminum of the cylinder of the tools. Should you decide to switch to the Hurst fluid, you will need to drain all the water glycol from your power unit and flush your tools completely and then refill your power unit. Hurst now has a fluid which is free from phosphates. It is completely biodegradeable and does not peel the paint like the old fluid. Hope this helps. By the way, the pour viscosity of the new Hurst fluid is the same as water glycol; so it should pump the same volume and pressure as water glycol.

AlcatrazLt.

Forum Member

Default When in doubt......

When in doubt always check with your tool dealer.

thanks, the reason I asked is because we run both a Hurst and Phoenix spreader on our rescue. They both run off of phosphate ester. Is there a difference between there Phosphate?

MembersZone Subscriber

We had our set of Phoenix tools built to use the Hurst fluid. I'm not sure if the factory did anything different than a normal build. They did ask me when we had to send the combi tool back for service what fluid we sere running. That makes me seem like they used something different in the rebuild of it (gaskets?) I was told by our service rep (who now conveniently doesn't work for them) that whey weren't building new tools to be compatible with the phosphate, but I haven't heard any official word from the factory.

Forum Member

The rescue squad I'm a member of has several sets of Hurst hydraulic tools and upon checking them one day, we discovered that 2 of them needed hydraulic fluid. We had enough Hurst brand fluid (phosphate ester) to fill one of the power units and found a bottle of Phoenix brand fluid (phosphate ester) in a closet. We weren't sure if the fluids would be compatible with one another, but we are fortunate to have a member who was a Hurst sales rep for a number of years and could tell you anything in the world about them. He said that as long as both fluids are phosphate ester, they are very much compatible. This was also confirmed by a much younger, current Hurst sales rep.

Forum Member

The best advise you got was to check with your Phoenix or Hurst Tool Dealer before you make any changes. Hurst uses Phosphate Ester fluid, Phoenix uses Dietheline Glycol fluid. However, both tools are low pressure systems, so either fluid would work in the tools as long as the gaskets and O-rings are compatible with the fluid you are using. I have seen both brands of tools switched over to each other's fluids. but this was done by a qualified technician. At one time, you were able to specify whatever type of fluid you preferred when you purchased these tools, but I am not sure if either brand still offers this option.

You MUST be very careful never to mix any hydraulic fluids with a different type (Glycol, Ester or Mineral Oil). The end result will be a mixture that has the consistency of slime that will require a major rebuild of your entire system.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information