Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Why are Cops on a power trip?

I was in route to a car wreck on Friday. I was running code 3 with plenty of lights and a loud siren. I was approached from behind by 2 cops who tailgated me until I caught the fire truck and dropped in behind it. The speed quickly past the fire truck without requesting to pass.

After the scene was cleared an officer approached me and said that I need to get out of his way because he had important business to do and that i was just a firefighter. Not entirely sure how a un-medically trained cop and a car wreck that isn't on the road is more useful than a medically and extrication certified firefighter. I told the officer that Ga law doesn't say that I must yield to him under lights and I began to get a verbal bashing. I guess in hind sight i should have just keyed up my radio and let him go but o-well.

Long story short... Whats with police and this power trip?

Jeff Dew
    Firefighter
    Bryan County, Ga

MembersZone Subscriber

You're always going to find a goofball cop that thinks he alone can save the world, just like you will find a goofball fireman, paramedic, etc. The problem is when these small little spats fester and grow into a problem. Drills and ICS on scene are the only way to limit this.
    Your department's higher ups have to start the ball rolling, you have to meet in a drill like setting describe what everyone does and what their rolls are, after that clear ICS at incidents and it'll be fine.

it's easier to smile and nod than get into a fight. remember, like with certain former cops on these boards, you aren't going to win an argument, even if they are 100% wrong. they won't let you, because it will hurt their ego or whatever.

easier to just smile, nod, and walk away.

oh, and not bitch about it on firehouse .com giving your name and where you are from. that just has bad news written all over.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Come on George!! All cops are dicks and all firefighters are saints. Don't you ever read anything on these forums?

Actually i think signing his name to it lends him some credibility. Most people who simply want to cop bash hide behind their keyboard. He had a serious question worthy of a serious answer. ADSNWFLD covered it perfectly.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bondga View Post

They're cops????

Forum Member

Does GA recognize your POV as an emergency vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bondga View Post
    I was in route to a car wreck on Friday. I was running code 3 with plenty of lights and a loud siren. I was approached from behind by 2 cops who tailgated me until I caught the fire truck and dropped in behind it. The speed quickly past the fire truck without requesting to pass.

After the scene was cleared an officer approached me and said that I need to get out of his way because he had important business to do and that i was just a firefighter. Not entirely sure how a un-medically trained cop and a car wreck that isn't on the road is more useful than a medically and extrication certified firefighter. I told the officer that Ga law doesn't say that I must yield to him under lights and I began to get a verbal bashing. I guess in hind sight i should have just keyed up my radio and let him go but o-well.

Jeff Dew
    Firefighter
    Bryan County, Ga
    Rescue601
    Does GA recognize your POV as an emergency vehicle?
    Now that's funny!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-03-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

He is a Public Safety Professional and you are questioning him? Besides, volunteers do not needs lights on their POVs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Besides, volunteers do not needs lights on their POVs.
    Arise dead horse so we can beat you some more.....

Oh you were in a your pov not a fire truck! Get out of the damn way and let the cops go by, numnuts. You are holding up progress. How do know that the cops do not have some type of medical training? Hell all of the LEO's in N.C. as in most places are at least dot 1st responder trained. May be they wanted to get to the mva quickley to provided scene saftey. Who is better equipped to block traffic, you in your pick up truck, or the cops in their partol cars? Maybe the driver of the wrecked car was drunk and was trying to leave the scene, or causing problems, again who's better equipped to deal with that situation, the boys in blue or Ricky Redlight? Why start a ****ing contest over something as stupid as this issue? You are either very brave or. . . . ..

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

He's still mad cause he took the wrong test.

Na cops are mad cause all they got was a badge and a gun, and all we get as firefighters is
    • A badge
    • a sweet red truck
    • we get paid to sleep when on duty and it's in our job description so our chief does not mind
    • All the girls love a firemen
    • People love to see us (well except at 2AM)
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Oh you were in a your pov not a fire truck! Get out of the damn way and let the cops go by, numnuts. You are holding up progress. How do know that the cops do not have some type of medical training? Hell all of the LEO's in N.C. as in most places are at least dot 1st responder trained. May be they wanted to get to the mva quickley to provided scene saftey. Who is better equipped to block traffic, you in your pick up truck, or the cops in their partol cars? Maybe the driver of the wrecked car was drunk and was trying to leave the scene, or causing problems, again who's better equipped to deal with that situation, the boys in blue or Ricky Redlight? Why start a ****ing contest over something as stupid as this issue? You are either very brave or. . . . ..

Stay Safe
    Bull
    First off, I wouldnt be so quick to assume things are the same way here as in NC, becuase I can assure you they are not. More ofthen than not, most LEOs in GA have zero medical training. So, more often than not, they speed to the scene rediculously to do...nothing. I am not knocking police officers or the work they do, but it isnt neccesary. And passing a responding fire apparatus is just reckless and dangerous.

And as far as the POV light debate...save it. That isnt what this thread is about. Not all areas operate the same. Do I have lights and siren in my POV? Yes. Are they permited legaly throught the department and state? Yes. Do I carry BLS equipment in my POV to use if I have to? Yes.

So, debate it all you want. Fact remains, what works for some does and doesnt for others. Live with it, it is reality.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    First off, I wouldnt be so quick to assume things are the same way here as in NC, becuase I can assure you they are not. More ofthen than not, most LEOs in GA have zero medical training. So, more often than not, they speed to the scene rediculously to do...nothing. I am not knocking police officers or the work they do, but it isnt neccesary. And passing a responding fire apparatus is just reckless and dangerous.

And as far as the POV light debate...save it. That isnt what this thread is about. Not all areas operate the same. Do I have lights and siren in my POV? Yes. Are they permited legaly throught the department and state? Yes. Do I carry BLS equipment in my POV to use if I have to? Yes.

So, debate it all you want. Fact remains, what works for some does and doesnt for others. Live with it, it is reality.
    So flying up and down the road in a pov is ok, but if you are in a partol car how dare you run emgencey traffic? Now passing a fire truck on a two lane road could be very dangerous, if not done in the proper manner.

I find it very hard to believe that even in Ga. LEO's have no medical training. I know several brothers in blue across the line in Rabun Co. We talk from time to time and they advised that they do recieve 1st aid and 1st responder training.
    Your right about one thing this thread is not about lights on povs. I have them on my truck and use them as well, but when the police dept., sheriff's office or SHP is running 10-18 traffice to same call as I am, I give them the road. Why not let them move the traffic for you? Since I'm a deptuy and also a vollie, I just might know a little about what I'm talking about.
    What this thread is really about is someone getting their feeling hurt and then b*tching about it. Should/could the situation been handle better, sure it could have. But it is what it is. Life goes on.
    If you want to talk about reality, fine lets talk. If you want to get into a ****ing contest with your local LEOs about them passing you while you are speeding to a call in you pov, by all means proceed at your on risk. Maybe you would prefer him/her to take time out of their day to write you a ticket for speeding or driving like a crazy man. I mean ,according to you, while they have no mecidal training at all, I promise you that they do have training in traffic enforcement. Why not just let sleeping dogs lie. Over look the little things and work together to get the job at hand done. "Live with it, it is reality."

Stay Safe Brother
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

So flying up and down the road in a pov is ok, but if you are in a partol car how dare you run emgencey traffic?
    Who said or inferred anything like that? Nobody!

Now passing a fire truck on a two lane road could be very dangerous, if not done in the proper manner.
    Right and that's part of the point of the original post, the PD passed the fire truck (and the poster) in what sounds like an improper manner. Did you miss that part?

I find it very hard to believe that even in Ga. LEO's have no medical training. I know several brothers in blue across the line in Rabun Co. We talk from time to time and they advised that they do recieve 1st aid and 1st responder training.
    Nobody said that none of the GA LEO's have medical training, only that most don't.

Your right about one thing this thread is not about lights on povs. I have them on my truck and use them as well, but when the police dept., sheriff's office or SHP is running 10-18 traffice to same call as I am, I give them the road. Why not let them move the traffic for you?
    I'll admit that I know nothing about GA traffic laws, etc, but up here some Chief officers are allowed to utilize lights and sirens on their POVs and other motorist are required to yield to them as any other emergency vehicle. Some PDs also utilize "unmarked" cars. Traffic seems to respond to their lights and sirens about the same as for the marked emergency vehicles. So if he has lights and sirens activated on his POV, then why would traffic move better for the PD? Do they have special warning devices or something?

Since I'm a deptuy and also a vollie, I just might know a little about what I'm talking about.
    What this thread is really about is someone getting their feeling hurt and then b*tching about it. Should/could the situation been handle better, sure it could have. But it is what it is. Life goes on.
    Well, as a Deputy and volunteer I would think you'd be able to recognize the improper passing of another emergency vehicle. There's probably some truth to your theory on the thread, but the attitude/actions of the police officer as explained are not uncommon. I agree the situation could probably have been handled better and yes, it is what it is, however we probably disagree as to what it is.

If you want to talk about reality, fine lets talk. If you want to get into a ****ing contest with your local LEOs about them passing you while you are speeding to a call in you pov, by all means proceed at your on risk. Maybe you would prefer him/her to take time out of their day to write you a ticket for speeding or driving like a crazy man.
    Who said anybody was speeding or driving like a crazy man?

I mean ,according to you, while they have no mecidal training at all, I promise you that they do have training in traffic enforcement. Why not just let sleeping dogs lie. Over look the little things and work together to get the job at hand done. "Live with it, it is reality."
    So your advice is essentially cops will be dicks at times, so don't worry about it?

So flying up and down the road in a pov is ok, but if you are in a partol car how dare you run emgencey traffic? Now passing a fire truck on a two lane road could be very dangerous, if not done in the proper manner. Bull

I have to agree with this and ask one question.
    Who certifies your POV with a yearly P.M.?

Sorry to make this drag on but digging up a post on this subject will only turn up locked threads.
    IAFF

I always yield to the Police when running with rl/s.

How do you know they are going to your mva?

Maybe they were going to a man w/gun or an assault in progress???
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

So flying up and down the road in a pov is ok, but if you are in a partol car how dare you run emgencey traffic? Now passing a fire truck on a two lane road could be very dangerous, if not done in the proper manner.

Your right about one thing this thread is not about lights on povs. I have them on my truck and use them as well, but when the police dept., sheriff's office or SHP is running 10-18 traffice to same call as I am, I give them the road. Why not let them move the traffic for you? Since I'm a deptuy and also a vollie, I just might know a little about what I'm talking about.
    If you want to talk about reality, fine lets talk. If you want to get into a ****ing contest with your local LEOs about them passing you while you are speeding to a call in you pov, by all means proceed at your on risk. Maybe you would prefer him/her to take time out of their day to write you a ticket for speeding or driving like a crazy man. I mean ,according to you, while they have no mecidal training at all, I promise you that they do have training in traffic enforcement. Why not just let sleeping dogs lie. Over look the little things and work together to get the job at hand done. "Live with it, it is reality."

Stay Safe Brother
    Bull
    Don't firget...we are only hearing one side of the story here, also.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

The cops are usually faster than any fire vehicle I might be in, so if they want to pass me, I'll let them pass me.

They could be going to my call, or they could be going to another call. They could even be going to the same MVA as I am, but for all I know it was a drunk that wrecked and now he is trying to flee the scene or is still driving in the vehicle. Heck, whatever call I am going to could have some crazy maniac running around with a gun. There are lots of reasons why there could be a valid need for the cop to get there faster than I am.

It sounds like you were being petty yourself. "They are not asking to pass me on the radio, so I'm not going to move over so that they can pass me"

Well, honestly too me it sounds like the PD's "I'm a cop and you are just a stupid firefighter" is pretty much the exact same as your "I'm a firefighter and you are just a stupid cop" attitude.

What's with the firefighter and this power trip?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I always yield to the Police when running with rl/s.

How do you know they are going to your mva?

Maybe they were going to a man w/gun or an assault in progress???
    My thoughts exactly...... Why not just let them pass????? Who cares.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information