+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 First ... 234567815 ... Last
    Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sidizzle1129 View Post
    Reference Award Number: EMW-2009-FV-00035
    Reference Award Number: EMW-2009-FO-00034

We have got 1199As for 30 sets of PPE and 3 TICs and a $275,000 pumper... i have submited the online form and will be takeing it to our bank with the board Monday... so now whats next ive never gotten this far before over the last 3 years... whats the 10?s when can i expect them and what does this mean? are we getting the grant? what do i do now??? ha ha thanks guys!
    Congrats on the double hit!
    The posting of the 1199's is the first step of the process. You will then receive the "10 questions" in an e-mail to your address listed in the app. Once you answer them in the affirmative and send them back by e-mail., it goes to tech review, and then to award review.
    You are 1/3 of the way to an award, but it is very good sign to have received it this early in the process. It means you scored very high in the peer review. Start getting your specs together and ready to send out for bidding. Be sure to write your specs open to any qualified bidder.[ in other words you can't say that we only want to purchase xyz turnouts or airpacks. Or you can't write your spec for to exclude one manufacturer over another]
    Do not seek bids until you have the award notification in writing in your hands. This is a requirement of AFG. Read carefully the award documents from AFG and follow them to the letter , in order to avoid problems down the road. Follow your local government procurement procedures to the letter.

Now is a good time to start your grant notebook. a big ringbinder works well.
    make copies of all paperwork associated with your grant . Start with a printed copy of your application. Then copies of your bid specs, and copies of all correspondence with the vendors and AFG. Then when you receive bids include all of them. Copies of your analysis and scoring of the bids submitted.. Then when you start purchasing copies of all invoices and payments made to the vendors.
    All of this will help in keeping track of everything and when the auditors from AFG show up, you just hand them the ring binder and watch them smile in approval.
    We've had visits twice in four grants and when we walked in the office and could hand them the notebook, they knew we had our stuff together.

We write our own grants in-house, Had been successful in 03 and then attended seminars by Kurt & Brian. since then we have hit AFG 3 for 5 and SAFER 1 for 1
    It's not necessary but believe me you will learn much more than AFG and it will payback tenfold very quickly. We have hit a half dozen local foundation grants since taking the classes.

Forum Member

We have got 1199As for 30 sets of PPE and 3 TICs and a $275,000 pumper... i have submited the online form and will be takeing it to our bank with the board Monday... so now whats next ive never gotten this far before over the last 3 years... whats the 10?s when can i expect them and what does this mean? are we getting the grant? what do i do now??? ha ha thanks guys!
    Next, you get your 1199A in and sit back and wait for the 10 questions to arrive. Only a couple of people here on the forums have the inside scoop, and I dont think they will tell. All the rest of us know is that they will be coming... sooner or later. Each thing that happens with your application is one step closer to an award. Congratulations on the 1199's!! As some of the others have said here, start palnning the party, but dont invite the guests just yet.

Forum Member

found 1199a

Forum Member

1199a today for FO, (Rescue tools, radios, training materials).
    Still unlikely for FV, though, again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcmechenvfd View Post
    What time do you think they will stop posting the updates for the day/weekend? or will they?
    No telling John since they are so far behind
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rjcont View Post
    I did my first two app's in 2008, Vehicle never made it past computer OPS was Dj'ed in December 08. Went to Kurts seminar in Feb. 09, submitted OPS app. in April and did my first 1199 update yesterday!

No more worry for my brother and sisiter FF because of inadaquate PPE aal thanks to Kurt and this forum!! Next time your in N.Y. first rounds on me Kurt Thanks for your help
    Stay tuned I think I may be headed to Victor FD for a workshop soon. Trying to find time to fit them in.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

HBFD819 sweeps the series with a double play also.

THANKS BRIAN V!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I would say it is a reduction. But is the cost amount also 0 or is it your original amount.

If everything is 0 across that line, I would say it is a reduction without question, but without knowing what it is was for, cannot advise any further than to say call the helpdesk to get a better clarification. They are always happy to answer any questions.

Way to go Sly on getting that 0 for 8 department an award. Bet they were losing hope and now they'll have a hard time believing you got it for them.

I had 3 line items. 2 were as written with a total cost of 28K, but 1 was for an exhaust system for the FD. it was a Qty of 1 at 40K for the project. When I saw the 1199A, i looked at the app to refresh and found the entire app was for 28K. The cost for the exhaust was still 40K but the qty was at 0, so the project cost was 0.

Is that how they do the cost reductions? Change the content of the application? If so, I will be happy with whatever comes my way. i am just trying to figure out if we messed up the app from the begining.

Forum Member

I'm interested in your exhaust reduction. Was this for a source capture system?

I have one that was reduced in the same manner. Quantity 0 = Cost $0.

That's the only thing on the entire application!

Forum Member

Default Hell yeah!!!

1199A on our grant today! First time for us, WE ARE JACKED UP! Thanks to Kurt, Brian and everybody else here!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    I'm interested in your exhaust reduction. Was this for a source capture system?

I have one that was reduced in the same manner. Quantity 0 = Cost $0.

That's the only thing on the entire application!
    Sly,
    It was a Plymovent system.

Forum Member

Did you specify a brand name?

The one I did is for a source capture ("Plymovent") system as well. I'm intrigued by this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by winnabow638 View Post
    Are most of the 1199"S recieved so far to those departments who had grant writer's do grant's or did they do their own grants ????
    I would Like to see how many departments did their own grant's or had some one else do them and how successful each was.
    I did ours, after taking Kurt's class and lots of hours right here.

Forum Member

Holy Cow Sidizzle! Way to go dude. And how did you get your FV and FO 's one number apart? Be careful you don't get'em mixed up somehow.

Yes it looks like your going to be awarded.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jfire26 View Post
    I'm working on making Valley Center, Ks in January Kurt....
    I have attended Valley Centers last two seminars. It is a great facility to have the seminar. Great overhead powerpoint display and sound system. Nice clean city too. The first time I stayed at Comfort Inn and the second time at Super 8 motel just a little further south. I liked the Super 8 motel better unless you want an indoor pool.

The host Eldon Miller does a great job of anticipating whatever is needed. I use his coffee cup everyday.

Forum Member

Did you specify a brand name?

The one I did is for a source capture ("Plymovent") system as well. I'm intrigued by this.
    SLY - I have 3 apps for exhaust ventilation - 2 truck mounted and 1 hose based. So far I've got a reduction on one of the truck mounted apps. The original app had 8 units x $8,575 = $68,600. Now the app says 1 unit at $65,000. This was the only item requested on this app.

For the other app that had truck mounted exhaust, the quantity has been reduced to 0. The portable radios on this app haven't been touched.

Lastly, there's been no action on the app with the hose based system.

I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

Have you seen similar things?

Thanks
    -dave

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HBFD819 View Post
    HBFD819 sweeps the series with a double play also.

THANKS BRIAN V!
    Congrats, double plays are fun in this game.

Forum Member

Dave,

I didn't write any vehicle mounted apps. First, they don't do the job; Second, they were a much lower priority.

The one I was reduced on was hose based (source capture) and was reduced to $0.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got our 1199a this morning. 10 Air packs and a R.I.T. pack

Forum Member

Dave,

I didn't write any vehicle mounted apps. First, they don't do the job; Second, they were a much lower priority.

The one I was reduced on was hose based (source capture) and was reduced to $0.
    Couldn't agree with you more. But some departments want truck based and there was no convincing them otherwise.

Were there anything other items on your exhaust system application that got reduced???

MembersZone Subscriber

Hanover, PA--The snack food capitol of the world!

Looks like our ship came in yesterday. We got an update for an ops grant. Looks like we were reduced from 3 thermal imagers plus remote monitor to just 2 thermal imagers. Still not complaining! This is our 6th ops grant in 9 program years, 2.5 of which are my doing.

Phil Goldsmith
    Pikesville VFC
    Pikesville, MD

Forum Member

Found our 1199A late on Friday. Holy crap!!! This is two years now! 80K for mobile radios, portable radios and new pagers. Now comes the impatient part!!

Forum Member

found new 1199A this morning for scba. 2009 number showed up on last years 1199A form. Last year I got the 1199A on a day when we were expecting 8"-11" inches snow. Today we are expecting 12" inches of snow go figure.

Thanks for your help everyone. Wrote a grant for our FD for SCBA and gear. I noticed the amount for the gear and the number of SCBA were reduced. Got the 1199a request in my email last night.

From what I read on this forum, it seems like we will probably be award- correct?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by timg71 View Post
    found new 1199A this morning for scba. 2009 number showed up on last years 1199A form. Last year I got the 1199A on a day when we were expecting 8"-11" inches snow. Today we are expecting 12" inches of snow go figure.
    Was it sent out today or yesterday? Just curious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information