Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car Decals

Default Car Decals

Do you have one on your car?

I was muddling over this idea the other night and thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this topic.
    One reason I wanted to get a small decal for the corner of my rear window was just to show the sense of pride that I have for the fire service. Why not? No harm...

Some reasons I wouldn't put one on my window: I would be constantly representing the fire service everywhere I go. While I do not plan on doing anything negative on the roadway, everyone will cut someone off on accident in their driving career. ( BTW, I have a perfect driving record ! )

I also realized that even while "off" duty my actions shouldn't really change anyways. So, I decided that really wasn't a factor.

Does anyone have a story about their decal being a positive thing? A negative thing? Have you ever seen a logo on a car and saw it in a negative way?

Also, I can't stand the guys who wear their fire dept. T-Shirts at bars or any chance they can.

I am leaning towards not getting one. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by FireEeyore; 10-05-2009 at 01:06 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've got a union sticker on my rear window and the front left corner of mine...no problem in that in my opinion

I didn't know there was controversy here..

I did on many other cars, not the current one.

Personally? I want to have a nice classy car, and didn't want to junk it up with stickers of any kind. I told the dealer if he puts a sticker on it, I won't accept it, so there isn't even a dealer sticker/plate.

Knock yourself out, I can't imagine how it would hurt you.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I didn't know there was controversy here..

I did on many other cars, not the current one.

Personally? I want to have a nice classy car, and didn't want to junk it up with stickers of any kind. I told the dealer if he puts a sticker on it, I won't accept it, so there isn't even a dealer sticker/plate.

Knock yourself out, I can't imagine how it would hurt you.

I am just being careful!

Quote Originally Posted by FireEeyore View Post
    Do you have one on your car?

I was muddling over this idea the other night and thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this topic.
    One reason I wanted to get a small decal for the corner of my rear window was just to show the sense of pride that I have for the fire service. Why not? No harm...

Some reasons I wouldn't put one on my window: I would be constantly representing the fire service everywhere I go. While I do not plan on doing anything negative on the roadway, everyone will cut someone off on accident in their driving career. ( BTW, I have a perfect driving record ! )

I also realized that even while "off" duty my actions shouldn't really change anyways. So, I decided that really wasn't a factor.

Does anyone have a story about their decal being a positive thing? A negative thing? Have you ever seen a logo on a car and saw it in a negative way?

Also, I can't stand the guys who wear their fire dept. T-Shirts at bars or any chance they can.

I am leaning towards not getting one. Any thoughts?

Be careful what you put on your private car. An IAFF stricker, if you belong to the IAFF is all that I have or had on my vehicles.

Some states have rules on what you can and where you can put stickers, other than offical state, city and or county stickers. I'd check first before I applied any sticker.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Every vollie dept. around here gives there members window decals with the maltese cross and dept. name. Alot of depts also have their uniform patches made into decals for members cars.

Stickers and plates can work both ways. Our dept issues a member plate, with it and a blue card you can run a simple blue light (no extra privileges other than if I'm in the road I won't make you park 50 miles away and walk in to a scene), plus it means that you are covered if you have an accident on the way to the scene/station.
    The downside could be you getting called into court for driving past an accident/fire and someone getting the plate and sticker information. It probably would be dropped real fast but it could happen. It falls under the duty to act clause. For an EMT that gets even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorbreaker View Post
    The downside could be you getting called into court for driving past an accident/fire and someone getting the plate and sticker information. It probably would be dropped real fast but it could happen. It falls under the duty to act clause. For an EMT that gets even worse.
    Are you sure about this?

This sounds like one of those wive's tales that get's repeated over and over.

In most places, you only have a duty to act if you are "on duty".

If you are a volunteer, you are a volunteer... it's your choice. Sticker or not.

Check your state laws.

I think you are In NY:

NYS statutes do not obligate an individual citizen, regardless of training, to respond to a situation or provide care unless there is a formal duty by job description or role expectation. Such a duty to act arises from participation with an agency having jurisdiction.
    http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/98-05.pdf

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Wisconsin has the same "duty to Act" clause in the books. However, it does specifiy, that if help is already being rendered, the "trained" responder has no duty to act except in cases where an immediate life-saving act can be performed and make a difference.

Clear as mud, right? I believe it is one of the older laws that no one has bothered to challenge, change, or drop. I know it exists, but cannot recall anyone ever being charged for failure to act.

As far as stickers, logo's, whatever on a vehicle....just be responsible and level-headed about it. I see too many POV's going down the highway that offer free advertising to many of the decal vendors!

Forum Member

I too am in the boat of not wanting to turn the entire rear of my car into a billboard. If and when i put a sticker on the rear of my car(s), it will be on the rear window in the lower left corner. Never on a bumper where it just looks cheesy (my opinion).

On my truck, i have a small decal with my military branch of service and a Worcester 6 decal. I just find that having too many gives the "I have something to prove" kind of look. Simple and classy. I do not think, nor do i expect that anyone will treat me different if they see those stickers. I see tons of cars all the time with IAFF stickers. That looks fine to me. Nothing wrong with being proud of your brotherhood. And that is also the best sticker to show your a Firefighter. Because nobody would have that unless they were a member. I have seen plenty of cars with all sorts of FD stickers and when i inquire, in a few cases, they were simple buffs.

www.powercallsirens.com has the largest array of firefighting stickers i have ever come across. Aside from hundreds of in stock stickers, they will also make anything you want.

You kind of touched on this but if you have a decal, you will be held to a higher standard.

Example: In the past, we issued a small decal to each member, primarily when guys were subject to call-back and responded to a scene. But one of my guys pushed it one day on the interstate. A trooper pulled him over for 15 over posted speed limit. The trooper saw the decal, proudly displayed on the lower left front windshield. He asked "You a firefighter?" Of course the firefighter said "Yes, I am Sir". The Trooper scolded him and gave him a ticket without any break. The trooper's last words were "you of all people should know better."

I'm not suggesting that every Trooper will do the same thing. I know of cases where a decal might have actually prevented a ticket in the same situation. But you do have a duty to act responsible.

Quote:
    Are you sure about this?

How do you define "On Duty"? As a volunteer I am on duty 24/7/365.

If you are a volunteer, you are a volunteer... it's your choice. Sticker or not.

Check your state laws.

I think you are In NY:

Quote:
    NYS statutes do not obligate an individual citizen, regardless of training, to respond to a situation or provide care unless there is a formal duty by job description or role expectation. Such a duty to act arises from participation with an agency having jurisdiction.

Read that REAL close and you will note it says UNLESS there is a formal duty by job description OR role expectation.
    That last sentence is the problem that none of the courts have decided on. If your a NYS certified EMT your are certified to operate in all of NY State. As an EMT your role is to provide aid to those in need.

And I have seen this used to drag a couple folks into court. One was driving in another part of the state, drove past a car accident (no medical gear in the vehicle) a woman saw his EMT decal and called it in. Case was dropped but it did happen.

Not a big problem but I don't like having those headlines " Firefighter sued for passing scene" isn't a good read, especially when the end result never gets in print.

Read that REAL close and you will note it says UNLESS there is a formal duty by job description OR role expectation.
    That last sentence is the problem that none of the courts have decided on. If your a NYS certified EMT your are certified to operate in all of NY State. As an EMT your role is to provide aid to those in need.
    I think you are reading too much into "role expectation".

You aren't "certified to operate". Your certification means that you have demonstrated a basic level of competency. It's not a defacto compulsary responsibility.

And I have seen this used to drag a couple folks into court. One was driving in another part of the state, drove past a car accident (no medical gear in the vehicle) a woman saw his EMT decal and called it in. Case was dropped but it did happen.
    I'd love to read about these. Do you have any links or news reports?

How could she even prove who was driving? Does your wife or husband ever drive your personal vehicle that happens to have a sticker on it?

Not a big problem but I don't like having those headlines " Firefighter sued for passing scene" isn't a good read, especially when the end result never gets in print.
    Agreed. I can't say I have ever seen that headline, but it wouldn't be something I'd like to see.

I'm going to throw the BS flag on this one. Sorry.

For this to occur, someone would have to be stopped at an accident. They would have to know that medical care was needed but was not being rendered. They would then have to look at all of the cars passing by the wreck to see which one had an EMT sticker. After finding the one needle in the haystack, er, I mean car with a sticker... She would have to have the wherewithal to not only write down the tag number -- but to write it down correctly. To do all of this, she would have to take her eyes off the accident that just occurred, which we know few people are capable of doing. Yeah, I just don't believe it.

MembersZone Subscriber SIMP0LMAN's Avatar

who cares, just put the damn sticker on your car!

Quote:
    Are you sure about this?

Check your state laws.

I think you are In NY:

Quote:

Are you married?

If so try your reasoning with your wife!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I throw the BS flag at this statement. you are not on duty 24/7/365. do you work? if you are working, you are not on EMS duty while at your job. what about after you have been drinking? you still have a duty to act? or even better, what if you are your lady friend are, ahem, involved. if something happens, do you need to go? I'm a volunteer as well. I have my shifts, when I am supposed to be "on call." at those times, I have a duty to act. when it's not my shift, I have no duty to act. I can if I want, but nothing is forcing me.
    case was dropped. nuff said. I have heard those rumors that you need to stop if in your POV. they would need to prove that the person driving was an EMT, not a family member or a new owner who never removed the sticker.

for the record, I have three stickers on my car's rear window; my vol fire department in one corner, my vol rescue squad in the other, and my career agency in the center. and I might even get one for my per diem ems agency.

nothing wrong with a little department pride; just try to avoid having the chief park his depart issues chief's truck outside of the pub or outside of the local sex toy shop. for some reason the residents don't like. but if the fire inspector needs to do it to do an inspections, I wonder what the respond will be?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

As it was explained to me, in Texas the laws are slightly different.

Every citizen has the same duty to act, but every person may have a different scope of practice. So, an EMT or not, you are required to at least attempt to dial 911 or something to that effect.

I don't really see it being something that gets enforced though.

I have a Georgia State Certified Firefighter's tag on the back. This is a state issued license plate that is a special plate for certified firefighters. I also have a red line plate on the front with my volly department name and my number.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information